MGB breaking news -- Dickenson named UNT acting AD

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Trip is an extremely sharp guy, with a background in the highest level of athletics and finance. He's a great guy who wants to see the university succeed, and will give an honest, unbiased accounting / assessment of how this athletic program should be ran ("big picture" guy). This is a good pick by the president, for Trip to be involved

I am going to to jump in here.  Trip is extremely well respected in the business community.  We need a business approach to this thing and have for some time.

• Upvote 1

I mentioned before that Mr. Kuehne was an aquaintance.  To clarify, I worked at the Sports Club at the Four Seasons right out of college.  Ernie was a member.  He is not the type to accept mediocre.  I also ran in to Trio, Hank and Kelly, his kids.  They were all extremely nice and driven to succeed on the golf course which I think was a byproduct of their father's expectations.  I would be shocked if he has changed.  He does not accept "half assed" and will expect success if his name is attached to this process.

As Harry mentioned, Trip is well respected in the business community and will do a fantastic job.  The Kuehne's have never failed at much of anything.

• Upvote 6

If you're the paranoid, sky-is-falling type, here's some stuff to consider. 

Eastman Beaudine is proud to promote their placements of such luminaries as June Jones at SMU, Ian McCaw at Baylor, and Sandy Barbour, current AD at Penn State and the woman who (when she had to replace Tommy Bowden after Tulane's undefeated season) picked Chris Scelfo over promoting her own OC, Rich Rodriguez. And those are just three of the names I recognize that they're currently hyping on their own website. 

As for Trip Kuehne, well... Here's one of the first things to come up when you look into him. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/theres-a-term-for-why-john-paulsons-investors-are-sticking-with-his-firm-2011-10

“We’re going to give [John] Paulson the benefit of the doubt,” Trip Kuehne, founder of Double Eagle Capital Management LP, a Dallas-based firm that has invested with Paulson since 2005, told Bloomberg. “I believe in him and his firm and don’t plan to pull my money.”

That's a quote from about five years ago (October 2011). How well did that one work out? 

From January 16, 2016: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/01/hedge-funder-john-paulson-puts-up-own-fortune-to-save-firm

Paulson & Co. has hit a dry patch, and the steady flow of fees that once backed the firm’s credit line have dried up. The firm’s assets have tanked 50 percent, falling to $18 billion over the last five years or so, Bloomberg reported. The firm peaked in 2011, managing $38 billion, but investors have since fled.

I don't know Trip Kuehne, and I'm sure he's done pretty damn well for himself, this unfortunate (and quickly Googleable) example excluded. For anyone who wants to investigate more thoroughly, start here, here, here, and here

And I'm sure that Eastman Beaudine has made some great AD hiring suggestions, too. 

But, I'll tell you one thing... If the firm handling the search recommended a guy with the shattered moral compass of Baylor's ex-AD, and one of the consultants is willing to stick it out through five years of catastrophe from a formerly proud and successful institution? 

Everything's coming up TONY DENTON, baby! 

TonyDenton.jpg

Who's up for a contract extension?? 

A few more things, because I had to giggle at least a little bit... 

http://eastman-beaudine.com/what-we-do/what-people-said/

“Bob Beaudine has proven he can perform and deliver — in a very professional, thorough and confidential manner. I recommend his services without any reservations.”

Karl Benson, Commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference

“Eastman & Beaudine is the industry leader for intercollegiate athletic searches. They have built a track record for delivering the best possible candidates to the institution with the highest standard of integrity and confidentiality.”

Ian McCaw, Athletic Director, Baylor University

Ooof. 

C'mon, gang... Way past time to clean up that company website. 

I'm just gonna throw in that if you've ever encountered Ernie at a tailgate, he's definitely not one to accept the status quo or mediocrity.  His standards of performance exceed most held by users on this board.  He's not shy about it at all, either.  

I can see where the bad rap comes from, but I think he's being held guilty by association.

• Upvote 6

I figured it out, the partnership with the Dallas Cowboys is a smoke screen. Our new AD is going to be Jerry Jones. He will change Apogee to Death Star Jr, and promise a championship every year. One positive is we no longer have to worry about sponsors or fundraising. He has more money than Davy Crockett.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jtm0097 said:

I figured it out, the partnership with the Dallas Cowboys is a smoke screen. Our new AD is going to be Jerry Jones. He will change Apogee to Death Star Jr, and promise a championship every year. 

Good.  We'll get delicious $90 pizzas, $100 parking spots, and Mrs. Jones' beautiful artwork throughout the stadium.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I'm just gonna throw in that if you've ever encountered Ernie at a tailgate, he's definitely not one to accept the status quo or mediocrity.  His standards of performance exceed most held by users on this board.  He's not shy about it at all, either.  

I can see where the bad rap comes from, but I think he's being held guilty by association.

Actions and words, my friend. I judge by actions EVERY time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, GRN-WHT said:

Ernie wanted to keep RV.

Smatresk wanted to fire RV.

Ernie allowed RV to be fired only if his family picks the new AD. And throw a scholarship for the 15 year old grandson in there too.

Pretty strong allegations.  Any proof to back up these claims?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I figured it out, the partnership with the Dallas Cowboys is a smoke screen. Our new AD is going to be Jerry Jones. He will change Apogee to Death Star Jr, and promise a championship every year. One positive is we no longer have to worry about sponsors or fundraising. He has more money than Davy Crockett.

As long as we cover up those 2 meter wide exhaust vents.  I'm tired of those damn rebels and their X-Wings with Proton Torpedoes.

• Upvote 2

On 6/7/2016 at 9:53 AM, GRN-WHT said:

Ernie wanted to keep RV.

Smatresk wanted to fire RV.

Ernie allowed RV to be fired only if his family picks the new AD. And throw a scholarship for the 15 year old grandson in there too.

On 6/7/2016 at 10:56 AM, UNTLifer said:

Pretty strong allegations.  Any proof to back up these claims?

^ Yeah, I'm kinda curious about that, too.

On June 7, 2016 at 1:06 PM, UNTLifer said:

Nothing there.  If I am missing something then please link it to this thread.

Fly and Ernie are thick as thieves. Fly did not want Rick Villarreal fired and thought he was doing a good job and expressed so on this board. It wasn't the "praise in public, criticize in private" crap that he and others always threw out. If that were the case, Fly would have just not said anything. He actively defended his friend RV very publicly on this forum. If you want to dig to find that mess, have at it.

There was clearly a power struggle that was somehow eventually won by Smatresk andhe c RV was fired. That is the reality of the situation. The fact that Fly and Ernie protected RV for so long throws a huge cloud of doubt on the whole "he doesn't accept losing" bullcrap being floated out there. He did accept losing because he cared more about RV than he did winning. 

Let's hope that never happens again.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Fly did not want Rick Villarreal fired and thought he was doing a good job and expressed so on this board. He actively defended his friend RV very publicly on this forum.

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It wasn't the "praise in public, criticize in private" crap that he and others always threw out.

:huh:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Fly and Ernie are thick as thieves. Fly did not want Rick Villarreal fired and thought he was doing a good job and expressed so on this board. It wasn't the "praise in public, criticize in private" crap that he and others always threw out. If that were the case, Fly would have just not said anything. He actively defended his friend RV very publicly on this forum. If you want to dig to find that mess, have at it.

There was clearly a power struggle that was somehow eventually won by Smatresk andhe c RV was fired. That is the reality of the situation. The fact that Fly and Ernie protected RV for so long throws a huge cloud of doubt on the whole "he doesn't accept losing" bullcrap being floated out there. He did accept losing because he cared more about RV than he did winning. 

Let's hope that never happens again.

You need to get the facts straight. This could not be further from the reality of this situation.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, UNT Mean Green said:

You need to get the facts straight. This could not be further from the reality of this situation.

Do tell so we at least have something to debate. 

On second thought, never mind. I'd rather stay focused on the possibilities going forward. Hopefully a new day is on the horizon and it isn't the Groundhog Day that Hank Dickenson will bring. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5