MGB: UNT picks up JC quarterback

Brett Vito

7 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

The last QB that I remember doing much at North Texas was Vidal Carlin in the mid-60's..

I assume you are talking about the last JUCO QB transfer. And you would be right about that. Vidal Carlin's two year totals were 633 att. 276 comp. 25 tds & 3233 yrds, 

6 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I assume you are talking about the last JUCO QB transfer. And you would be right about that. Vidal Carlin's two year totals were 633 att. 276 comp. 25 tds & 3233 yrds, 

Yep, the response was to a question regarding JUCO QB's success at North Texas.  Carlin is the only one that had sustained success.  A few stood out for a game or two, Woody Wilson, but none put together a decent season outside of Carlin.

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep, the response was to a question regarding JUCO QB's success at North Texas.  Carlin is the only one that had sustained success.  A few stood out for a game or two, Woody Wilson, but none put together a decent season outside of Carlin.

Brent Osborne anyone?

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

Brent Osborne anyone?

55 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The situation with Carlin was somewhat similar to what we are facing now. Carlin gave some "zip" to a program that gone 2-7-1 the prior year and 3-6 the year before. The first year, the team still struggled with a 3-7 record, but went 8-2 and won the Missouri Valley Championship his senior year.  Then he graduated with Steve Ramsey in the wings....and a 22-5-1 record for the three years of the Ramsey era. Let's hope that history repeats itself!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Eagleisland said:

The situation with Carlin was somewhat similar to what we are facing now. Carlin gave some "zip" to a program that gone 2-7-1 the prior year and 3-6 the year before. The first year, the team still struggled with a 3-7 record, but went 8-2 and won the Missouri Valley Championship his senior year.  Then he graduated with Steve Ramsey in the wings....and a 22-5-1 record for the three years of the Ramsey era. Let's hope that history repeats itself!

Hear Hear!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

O'Hara was playing against some pretty low level competition. Let's hope he adjusts more quickly than Greer. 

I'm not sure what exactly you mean there.  If you mean that juco is a lower level than FBS, that is true.  But he was playing at the juco that finished the year ranked #8 in the country, and over the year they played 3 schools in the top 20.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm not sure what exactly you mean there.  If you mean that juco is a lower level than FBS, that is true.  But he was playing at the juco that finished the year ranked #8 in the country, and over the year they played 3 schools in the top 20.

I agree that I have heard of Iowa Western and Arizona Western.  Georgia Military also finished ranked in the top 20 as you mentioned.  I have even heard of NE OK A&M, but I do not consider the following teams to play high level football:

Wisconsin Oshkosh JV
Ellsworth
Erie
Olivet Nazerene JV
Wisconsin Whitewater JV (twice)
Hocking College

When you look deeper into his numbers, against the teams I have heard of he had the following stats:

NEO A&M:  11-24 169 yds 1 td 3 int
GA Military:  7-11 103 yds 0 td 1 int
IA Western:  14-24 154 yds 2 td 0 int
AZ Western: 7-15 20 yds 0 td 3 int

I am just keeping an open mind at this point.  Lots of JG#8 in what I have seen so far, but hoping Littrell and Harrell see something they like.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I agree that I have heard of Iowa Western and Arizona Western.  Georgia Military also finished ranked in the top 20 as you mentioned.  I have even heard of NE OK A&M, but I do not consider the following teams to play high level football:

Wisconsin Oshkosh JV
Ellsworth
Erie
Olivet Nazerene JV
Wisconsin Whitewater JV (twice)
Hocking College

On what basis?  Ellsworth was ranked #18 in the country last year, ahead of Arizona Western.  UW-Oshkosh made it to the DIII Quarterfinals where they lost to...UW-Whitewater.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

On what basis?  Ellsworth was ranked #18 in the country last year, ahead of Arizona Western.  UW-Oshkosh made it to the DIII Quarterfinals where they lost to...UW-Whitewater.

It appears they played their (oshkosh and whitewater) JV teams, not varsity.  I am just going by what their schedule says and the fact that Dupage does not show up on the Oshkosh or Whitewater varsity schedule.  A D3 JV team is not what I would call top level competition.  I have never heard of Ellsworth so I will plead ignorance and take your word on  them.

ETA:  It looks like O'Hara had a good game against Ellsworth.  17-32 220yds 3 td 1 int.  If Ellsworth was pretty good, that is an encouraging sign.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

It appears they played their (oshkosh and whitewater) JV teams, not varsity.  I am just going by what their schedule says and the fact that Dupage does not show up on the Oshkosh or Whitewater varsity schedule.  A D3 JV team is not what I would call top level competition.  I have never heard of Ellsworth so I will plead ignorance and take your word on  them.

Apparently, those who vote in the polls disagree with you to have ranked CoD as highly as they did.  For whatever holes one might find in their schedule, it is clearly a tougher schedule than, for example, Blinn College; and I can't imagine anyone complaining about landing a player from Blinn College because they play a weak schedule.

It just seems like a strange comment to me.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Apparently, those who vote in the polls disagree with you to have ranked CoD as highly as they did.  For whatever holes one might find in their schedule, it is clearly a tougher schedule than, for example, Blinn College; and I can't imagine anyone complaining about landing a player from Blinn College because they play a weak schedule.

It just seems like a strange comment to me.

The level of competition that he played against is very important. If he is playing DIII level JUCO ball, he is nothing but a depth add and we will see Means outta here in the fall. Huge jump in competition level.

It appears UNT is yet again desperate at the QB position

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Something just occurred to me.  I have not seen anything that says O'Hara received a scholarship.  Are we sure this is not a preferred walk on?  I have seen his comments regarding committing to UNT, but no mention of a scholarship.  It would make a lot more sense if this was a preferred walk on opportunity with the chance to earn a scholarship based on performance.

21 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Something just occurred to me.  I have not seen anything that says O'Hara received a scholarship.  Are we sure this is not a preferred walk on?  I have seen his comments regarding committing to UNT, but no mention of a scholarship.  It would make a lot more sense if this was a preferred walk on opportunity with the chance to earn a scholarship based on performance.

I'm sure @Brett Vito is on it. Oh my God! What if he is a walk in? Will Vito then shamelessly omit him from blog QB talk in an obvious attempt to generate site hits? ?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

22 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

DRC:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20160606-juco-qb-commits-to-unt.ece

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Is there a specific quote in here that says he will be playing on scholarship?

What baffled the College of DuPage quarterback was that, despite all the interest, he had to wait weeks for a major college scholarship offer. North Texas finally came through with that offer over the weekend and landed a commitment from the well-traveled Illinois native.

No quote but Vito says scholarship in the story.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

Has anyone here ever sat through a JUCO football game?  In 1998, my brother and I were bored enough to wander over the what was then called the Red River Bowl over at Pennington Field between NEO A&M and Coffeyville. 

These were supposedly two of the premier JUCO programs at the time, where several colleges from the Big 12 and SEC sent players who didn't qualify out of high school, then reclaimed them two years later.

(If I recall, Oklahoma State signee Juqua Thomas, who would later play 10+ years in the NFL was a DL for NEO.)

Anyway, the level of play was terrible.  These schools were ranked in the JUCO polls.  It was more painful to watch than a high school game. 

JUCO rankings mean squat, jack.  It's bad football all the way around.  The main problem is, you've got new guys every year, never anyone longer than two seasons.  Constant churning, so the play is terribly choppy and inconsistent. 

I've never looked at JUCO recruits quite the same way since that game.  And, it gave me a greater appreciation for Bill Snyder at KSU.  How he looks at that horsesh*t football they play at the JUCO level and somehow finds player after player is unfathomable.

JUCO football recruits are an absolute dice roll.  You every now and then get a player to really contribute.  But, unless you are Bill Snyder, you've got to roll the dice a lot for it to pay off. 

O'Hara is growing on me, but I still fear a JG repeat.  I have watched his tape a few more times and he does throw a nice ball.  Not a ton of zip, but maybe he can be the type that can still throw in tight windows due to impeccable control.  

I have been hoping that Means would step up, but I am afraid this move confirms that Means is still not where he needs to be.

What worries me is that despite being on a top 10 ranked juco team that O'Hara was not even rated by the recruiting services when I searched.  Also, he was available for Spring practice (a huge plus), yet nobody picked him up for Spring.  Lots of people looked and nobody pulled the trigger.

Also, equally as scary is that our coaching staff went through Spring practice and evidently thought so much of our QB situation that they went out an signed a no offer guy to try and improve the competition.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

O'Hara is growing on me, but I still fear a JG repeat.  I have watched his tape a few more times and he does throw a nice ball.  Not a ton of zip, but maybe he can be the type that can still throw in tight windows due to impeccable control.  

I have been hoping that Means would step up, but I am afraid this move confirms that Means is still not where he needs to be.

What worries me is that despite being on a top 10 ranked juco team that O'Hara was not even rated by the recruiting services when I searched.  Also, he was available for Spring practice (a huge plus), yet nobody picked him up for Spring.  Lots of people looked and nobody pulled the trigger.

Also, equally as scary is that our coaching staff went through Spring practice and evidently thought so much of our QB situation that they went out an signed a no offer guy to try and improve the competition.

..or it could be that Means and Chumley informed the coaching staff a few weeks ago that they were moving on. Who knows.

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

..or it could be that Means and Chumley informed the coaching staff a few weeks ago that they were moving on. Who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised, they got what, a whole 3 reps between them in the spring game? That's gotta be an obvious sign at what the staff thinks. Both looked clueless and Chumley looked like he barely knew how to throw a ball.