Cordcutters will be happy

If you can't see the entire story because you're not a WSJ subscriber, search for the title using google, and click on that link.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

If I ever decide to stream ESPN, it'll be through Sling TV. My experiences with Hulu have been so horrendous that I quit my free trial many days before it was over.

Same regarding Hulu.

Still on the fence about Sling. Currently have no cable. Just an air antenna, internet, Prime, and Netflix. If anyone has tried Sling, I am curious about reliability, experience.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

If I ever decide to stream ESPN, it'll be through Sling TV. My experiences with Hulu have been so horrendous that I quit my free trial many days before it was over.

Can you be more specific on Hulu?  Was it the reception or customer services?

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

The interface was horrible, and even with Hulu Plus, there were more commercials than content.  I'm talking maybe three minutes of content against six minutes of commercials trying to get through a half hour episode of any show.  It was unwatchable.

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

In my case, I'm just interested in local tv networks. I can go to, let's say CBS' website, and get the last 3 episodes for free on their site, which is what Hulu provides. Maybe the last 5.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Same regarding Hulu.

Still on the fence about Sling. Currently have no cable. Just an air antenna, internet, Prime, and Netflix. If anyone has tried Sling, I am curious about reliability, experience.

Prime vs. Netflix? 

I am thinking about getting Prime... is there really a comparison with netflix?

1 minute ago, Travis said:

Prime vs. Netflix? 

Prime is nice, has some content not available anywhere else, but Netflix has more content and more exclusive content. Also, don't get the new service that they announced for just streaming. Get the full Prime and enjoy the free shipping and music streaming.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Travis said:

Prime vs. Netflix? 

The awesome part about Prime is that you can stream a ton of music on top of movies and tv shows. The free 2-day shipping is REALLY nice, and you can make and share wishlists (how our family does gift shopping now).

You can buy a digital movie from Amazon and stream it anywhere. If Netflix doesn't have it, you have to get the dvd service, or buy the movie elsewhere.

But the movies/tv selection overlaps slightly with Netflix and is not as extensive.

For us, Prime movies/tv shows are secondary to music, shipping, recurring purchases (diapers, wipes, dog treats), and wish lists.

* Recurring purchases are stuff that gets automatically shipped to our house once a month, and we get 15% off cost for multiple recurring purchases.

So Netflix is purely a giant - and good - selection of tv shows and movies that gets added to or cycled every month, and Prime is more of a lifestyle thing.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Travis said:

Prime vs. Netflix? 

Netflix has more original content.  Prime's big plus is that they got all the HBO series.  Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, etc.  

But even without the streaming, Prime is absolutely worth the money.  The free two-day shipping is life changing.  Here in Lewisville, we're so close to the distribution warehouse, that it's often free one-day shipping or sometimes even free same-day shipping.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Netflix has more original content.  Prime's big plus is that they got all the HBO series.  Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, etc.  

But even without the streaming, Prime is absolutely worth the money.  The free two-day shipping is life changing.  Here in Lewisville, we're so close to the distribution warehouse, that it's often free one-day shipping or sometimes even free same-day shipping.

Yep, I love prime for the HBO content, Kenny f'n Powers and Flight of the Conchords.  Netflix always seems to have more and better movies in my opinion.

6 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

You'r in Lewisville? Do the Farmers still run the wishbone? Graduated years ago. I assume they have changed, but curious for my old school aND team. Spend many afternoons down on the practice fields.

Edited by UTSA Fan

I have Sling, have had it for I guess since it started up basically.  Reliability at the beginning, first 6 months was almost unusable.  For some background, I have 75M down/up Fios.  So the pipe is plenty big enough.  I am running it over a wideband Fios N router.  In the most recent 6 months it has become what I would call "fairly reliable".  It will not buffer but it annoyingly drops down to sub hdtv resolutions for minutes at a time when I'm watching the Rangers for example.  Overall I'd say it is acceptable but barely.  I'm only tolerating it because it is easy to use and the price is right. 

20 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

pay the extra  $3 for commercial free and it is so worth it on HULU Plus

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Stan R said:

I have Sling, have had it for I guess since it started up basically.  Reliability at the beginning, first 6 months was almost unusable.  For some background, I have 75M down/up Fios.  So the pipe is plenty big enough.  I am running it over a wideband Fios N router.  In the most recent 6 months it has become what I would call "fairly reliable".  It will not buffer but it annoyingly drops down to sub hdtv resolutions for minutes at a time when I'm watching the Rangers for example.  Overall I'd say it is acceptable but barely.  I'm only tolerating it because it is easy to use and the price is right. 

I wonder how the Playstation Vue will be. I am looking at cutting the cord in the next month. I was going to wait to see about CUSA TV deal. 

39 minutes ago, untbowler said:

pay the extra  $3 for commercial free and it is so worth it on HULU Plus

So there's a commercial free option for hulu plus now?   I honestly can't entirely remember what year I tried the free trial.  Somewhere 2012 or thereabouts.  It was so awful at the time that I've never even remotely considered it since.  

1 hour ago, Stan R said:

Are you hardwired or using wireless to stream video through your Sling? Wireless can be hit or miss depending on traffic through your router (and your own wireless network) plus if other people are using the same channel you are, it will cause problems.

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Are you hardwired or using wireless to stream video through your Sling? Wireless can be hit or miss depending on traffic through your router (and your own wireless network) plus if other people are using the same channel you are, it will cause problems.

I am wireless streaming for Sling currently.  I probably should be using a electric line adapter but I'm just too lazy to purchase and set it up.  I wish there was a cheaper and easier way. I'm sure it would be better that way and eventually I'll get around to doing it.  It just feels weird to set up a ~$100 adapter for one connection at a time. Meh. 

One clarification, Sling does buffer up front however in the past that buffering was not enough to prevent pauses and clocking.  Now the buffering is enough to keep video going but at times the reduction in resolution makes some shows almost unwatchable. As I said, I'm streaming wirelessly so a hard wired connection may provide better results. 

So, in summary my conclusion on the current state of Sling TV (much better with the addition of Fox Sports Southwest by the way recently - Rangers!)

U34VgBJng9ULC.gif

Edited by Stan R
like, totally adding a gif

13 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

Do the Farmers still run the wishbone?

Not in the last 15-20 years. I went to a game a year or two ago and they aired it out left and right.

Now as far as this goes. Netflix has always been my go-to, but I may consider going with prime pretty soon. I do currently have cable though so I'm honestly quite content with a few sports channels and the big networks.

54 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Perhaps he should be more mindful of what he shares on social media?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

To what end?  

And do you think they'll remove any segments concerning countless other athletes,..athletes who actually committed crimes like OJ? Or Ray Lewis? . Nah!  

Rick

OJ and Ray Lewis didn't work for ESPN and get canned for posting something that counters the views of ESPN/ABC/Disney.  What he posted was about is a very hot button issue and he should have known that there could have been blow back.

Actions have consequences.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Stan R said:

I am wireless streaming for Sling currently.  I probably should be using a electric line adapter but I'm just too lazy to purchase and set it up.  I wish there was a cheaper and easier way. I'm sure it would be better that way and eventually I'll get around to doing it.  It just feels weird to set up a ~$100 adapter for one connection at a time. Meh. 

One clarification, Sling does buffer up front however in the past that buffering was not enough to prevent pauses and clocking.  Now the buffering is enough to keep video going but at times the reduction in resolution makes some shows almost unwatchable. As I said, I'm streaming wirelessly so a hard wired connection may provide better results. 

So, in summary my conclusion on the current state of Sling TV (much better with the addition of Fox Sports Southwest by the way recently - Rangers!)

How are you watching Sling? On your computer or TV? Thinking about switching over and doing the multi-stream as well. Option right now is just through an app on Xbox one. Reading online it is confusing. Can I download an app via smart TV?