A bill restricting where Louisiana public colleges and universities can travel

"If this bill passes as is, it would kill conference play by schools including Louisiana Tech, ULL, UL Monroe, UNO, Northwestern State, McNeese State, Southeastern Louisiana, Nicholls State, Grambling State, and Southern, effectively kicking them out of their athletic conferences."

http://latechreport.com/2016/04/05/house-bill-971-a-bill-restricting-where-louisiana-public-colleges-and-universities-can-travel-for-athletic-events-unless-youre-named-lsu/

• Upvote 2

Anyone have an idea of the actual chances of this bill passing? I know in Texas, a LOT of bills get filed with the legislature that aren't even actively supported by their authors but give the author something to show a big donor with a "See, I tried to get your pet project done."

• Upvote 1

Not for nothing is the SEC good at multiple "little" sports (hello softball and gymnastics). All the big boys in the SEC actually make money in football and some even make moeny in men's basketball. Staggering amounts of money. That largesse is used, in part, to fund these "little" women sports at a level most schools can't or won't.

Since it's very doubtful any of the other LA schools make money one could argue LSU can fairly be exempted as they are self supporting in terms of athletic finding.  This is probably the logic behind allowing football and basketball to travel outside of the 375 mile radius.

That said, I have a hard time believing this will ever pass, much less get serious consideration.

Edited by Army of Dad

On 4/14/2016 at 7:17 PM, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

If you're in the legislature, chances are you either went to LSU undergrad or law school or both. In Texas, you either went to A&M and UT undergrad or UT law school. The odds are stacked heavily against anyone not in that club,

I just looked at the breakdown of the 84th Texas Legislature and 43% went to the "UT system" or the "A&M system." A note from an article about the 83rd legislature pointed out the UT system included legislators who went to UT Pan Am, UTSA, UTD and UTEP so they certainly aren't all UT Austin affiliated. I suspect the same applies to A&M. 1/3 of the 84th Legislature had law degrees. That means 57% went to a non-UT system or A&M system school and 2/3 ARE NOT attorneys. No single school can stamp their feet and get something passed. However, the rules are written to favor the blocking of bills so a very small group can BLOCK legislation in Texas. That's why it's so hard to get anything passed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I just looked at the breakdown of the 84th Texas Legislature and 43% went to the "UT system" or the "A&M system." A note from an article about the 83rd legislature pointed out the UT system included legislators who went to UT Pan Am, UTSA, UTD and UTEP so they certainly aren't all UT Austin affiliated. I suspect the same applies to A&M. 1/3 of the 84th Legislature had law degrees. That means 57% went to a non-UT system or A&M system school and 2/3 ARE NOT attorneys. No single school can stamp their feet and get something passed. However, the rules are written to favor the blocking of bills so a very small group can BLOCK legislation in Texas. That's why it's so hard to get anything passed. 

Good research and info.  I think you need to have an idea of where things stand before you can enact change.

6 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Good points. I definitely knew about the small percentage holding law degrees. I figured the number from UT and A&M might have been higher. Just seems like a lot of the power brokers have ties to those two, with the last two governors being UT and A&M grads, Greg Abbott also being an attorney. I just remember hearing an anecdote about UT teaming up with Tech and UofH to block A&M's acquisition of South Texas School of Law back in the day. This was because UT didn't want A&M to have a law school and Tech was still sour about A&M blocking Tech's vet school.. Lots of school politics, that's for sure.