MGB: Saturday scrimmage notes

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, 4MYMGE said:

Just FYI...Turner Smiley's right hand was in a hard cast, that is supposed to come off next week...Guessing that will make fielding punts a lot easier!

I remember on Brelands pro day they were having him catch punts with one hand! Come on man step it up!!! (Kidding)

Quinn Shanbour looked stellar. Especially after a couple of series in which receivers kept dropping Morris' passes. That said the receiving corps in general look to be taking huge leaps already.

The real concern that I had out of watching was the defensive line. We have thirteen names listed on the roster, but @North Texas Shep and I only observed seven working together in drills at a given time. Perhaps we missed where the other group was but it was odd nonetheless.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Quinn Shanbour looked stellar. Especially after a couple of series in which receivers kept dropping Morris' passes. That said the receiving corps in general look to be taking huge leaps already.

The real concern that I had out of watching was the defensive line. We have thirteen names listed on the roster, but @North Texas Shep and I only observed seven working together in drills at a given time. Perhaps we missed where the other group was but it was odd nonetheless.

they switched out to D-line and backers every 3 plays  hard to keep up with who was where

5 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

they switched out to D-line and backers every 3 plays  hard to keep up with who was where

I'm talking just technique drills that the d-line unit was doing on their own with their coach. They were doing one particular form in pairs and as there were only seven players available, they had to pull a GA for one of the pairings.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Considering English has almost no chance to play next year, that's very scary.

10 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

I'm talking just technique drills that the d-line unit was doing on their own with their coach. They were doing one particular form in pairs and as there were only seven players available, they had to pull a GA for one of the pairings.

I'm not sure who was missing because there should have been 8 DEs and 6 DTs.  The eight DEs are 30 (Roberts), 56 (Dilonga), 7 (Combs), 95 (Wheeler), 90 (T. Johnson), 50 (D. Smith), 90 (Ozougwu, and 99 (Flusche).  There are six defensive tackles...44 (S. Moore), 15 (Tuaalo), 49 (Young), 98 (Wegmann), 93 (Combes), and 34 (English).  I believe that the only ones not mentioned from various writeups were Dakota Smith, Tillman Johnson and Julius Combes.

Unless there is a PWO this fall, all of the defensive line are eligible to participate in spring drills.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I'm not sure who was missing because there should have been 8 DEs and 6 DTs.  The eight DEs are 30 (Roberts), 56 (Dilonga), 7 (Combs), 95 (Wheeler), 90 (T. Johnson), 50 (D. Smith), 90 (Ozougwu, and 99 (Flusche).  There are six defensive tackles...44 (S. Moore), 15 (Tuaalo), 49 (Young), 98 (Wegmann), 93 (Combes), and 34 (English).  I believe that the only ones not mentioned from various writeups were Dakota Smith, Tillman Johnson and Julius Combes.

Unless there is a PWO this fall, all of the defensive line are eligible to participate in spring drills.

Right. If I'm recalling numbers correctly (@North Texas Shep, help me out here), those seven in the particular drill we were standing next to were 30 Roberts, 56 Dilonga, 7 Combes, 99 Flusche, 15 Tauaalo, 98 Wegmann, 34 English.

11 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Right. If I'm recalling numbers correctly (@North Texas Shep, help me out here), those seven in the particular drill we were standing next to were 30 Roberts, 56 Dilonga, 7 Combes, 99 Flusche, 15 Tauaalo, 98 Wegmann, 34 English.

Damn, you have a good memory. That sounds right. They even had a staff member (maybe athletic trainer) doing drills with them. Since, they only had 7.

20 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

They could have had a few guys helping other drills. In the position drills it was only them.