Changing the Culture

UNTLifer

To me "changing te culture" is just lip service. Our players' grades were as good as they've ever been. Not the only component of culture, but a big one that was done well by Mccarney. I'm not sure how much the culture needs to change, but I know the talent level needs to improve, and that's unrelated to culture.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

To me "changing te culture" is just lip service. Our players' grades were as good as they've ever been. Not the only component of culture, but a big one that was done well by Mccarney. I'm not sure how much the culture needs to change, but I know the talent level needs to improve, and that's unrelated to culture.

If they just cure the "quitting" portion (Portland St.) of their previous culture, it'll be a big (and positive) change. 

After all....."Victory's in store, what ere the score, our team will ever fight, Fight, FIGHT! FIGHT!"

8 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Best way to change the culture is by making a legit commitment to success and excellence starting at the top. That has yet to be done, proof being certain incompetent/underqualified individuals still on the payroll.

I've said the same thing many times. Hayden Fry went after "total" culture change, not just the team.

So if the current coaching staff is doing their part toward their culture change, how about our AD and the administration?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Lol. The culture that needs changing is throughout the athletic department and UNT administration. Any other culture is a filter down result and can't change without the former changing.

I look for Littrell to become extremely discouraged middle of year 2. 

Cause and effect. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 10

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

"What they did was, in putting a contract in place really, is showing appreciation for changing the culture at this place. It's showing appreciation for how we do it, and the way we've done it on the field, in the classroom, in Denton, and how we handle things," McCarney said. "I think it's a sign of support for all of my guys, all of my staff, my program, our program. ... I appreciate that opportunity to stay here. I'm not looking to leave. I love this place."

I thought McCarney already took care of the culture change for us back in 2014 when we extended him after a singular winning season with a team stocked full of senior leadership.

I think Dodge may have been credited with changing the culture too. 

We've been through many culture changes. Frankly, I'm about sick of hearing those terms thrown around.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Ya, this is what is said whenever a new coach takes over, be it Dodge, Mac, or Littrell. It's coach speak of the highest order.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

I think the "culture" that this article is alluding to is work ethic.  It appears that this portion of the culture drop off significantly after Wintrich left for BYU.  I think he instilled a work ethic in the young men and it was the highway if they didn't keep up.  Based upon the combine results of some of our young men during his tenure, I don't know if his lifting methods were effective, at least regarding how the NFL measurements are tabulated, but he seemed to get the team to work hard.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I think the "culture" that this article is alluding to is work ethic.  It appears that this portion of the culture drop off significantly after Wintrich left for BYU.  I think he instilled a work ethic in the young men and it was the highway if they didn't keep up.  Based upon the combine results of some of our young men during his tenure, I don't know if his lifting methods were effective, at least regarding how the NFL measurements are tabulated, but he seemed to get the team to work hard.

True. I just wanted to make it a little more inclusive.

The only culture that needs changing is the losing culture. Everything else can take a back seat because once that is changed everything else will fall in place. We have so much incompetence in the athletic department, and maybe not even incompetence, but every person that I have spoken with comes across as using UNT as a springboard for their non-coaching career. It's absolutely disgusting and it's just something that has materialized under the clown show that is Ricky V. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Simon changed the culture after Parker

Dickey changed the culture after Simon

Dodge changed the culture after Dickey

McCarney changed the culture after Dodge

Even after these changes, RV still thinks the culture at NT is hard to counter.   

Meaningless babel, build a good athletic program and win some games.  Results not buzz words

It's the only playbook he knows.

He obviously doesn't know how to do what you suggest.

15 years of proof.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

The only culture that needs changing is the losing culture. Everything else can take a back seat because once that is changed everything else will fall in place. We have so much incompetence in the athletic department, and maybe not even incompetence, but every person that I have spoken with comes across as using UNT as a springboard for their non-coaching career. It's absolutely disgusting and it's just something that has materialized under the clown show that is Ricky V. 

Who have you talked with? Where are they trying to go?

• Upvote 3

After observing the culture on Bonnie Brae, I have decided to change to a blend of Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v and Lactobacillus Rhamnosus Rosell-11ND.

It makes the whole situation easier to absorb.

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Go speak to people. Then come back and tell us your own findings. It's quite apparent though. 

I have - lots of them. I know some people who have left, some people who have joined and some people who have turned down other, better P5 jobs to stay. I definitely have my own personal thoughts that I'm not posting on the internet, but just curious because you seemed willing to share yours. Sorry if a follow-up question wasn't warranted, but have you also considered you're just kind of unpleasant to interact with (although there is hope that like 90 you're great in person?)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I gotta defend Ben here. The turnover from year to year indicates the above is true. 

It really wasn't an attack (although I freely admit it was easily came across that way based on me saying it) - it was legit curiosity. Ever get a cool job on paper and then realize you don't see eye-to-eye with management, though?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

It really wasn't an attack (although I freely admit it was easily came across that way based on me saying it) - it was legit curiosity. Ever get a cool job on paper and then realize you don't see eye-to-eye with management, though?

Like you want to work and they don't? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4