MGB: How UNT will fill its biggest hole on offense

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Don't quote yourself... That's weird. Also QB options in order, Morris, Shanbour 2a, Smith 2b.  Been hearing Smith coming up with any and every excuse to why he can't throw with WR, while Morris and Shanbour out there slinging the rock!

Hope they give Shanbour a real crack at it. Agree with @SilverEagle's assessment from a couple years back. Feel like he got buried on Mac's team cause he wasn't tall enough. he clearly threw the best ball in practice (by a mile) with the quickest release. Littrell and Harrell don't seem to have that height hangup. Give him (& hell Dillman) a chance to compete. We literally can't be any worse  (I say, tempting fate!) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Hope they give Shanbour a real crack at it. Agree with @SilverEagle's assessment from a couple years back. Feel like he got buried on Mac's team cause he wasn't tall enough. he clearly threw the best ball in practice (by a mile) with the quickest release. Littrell and Harrell don't seem to have that height hangup. Give him (& hell Dillman) a chance to compete. We literally can't be any worse  (I say, tempting fate!) 

Shanbour has as good a shot as Morris... These guys value a QBs ability to dissect and read a defense and deliver a ball on time. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:27 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

We don't know a dang thing about Morris.   We don't know if he can come in here and complete 30% of his passes or 80%.   He is a complete unknown.   He has 4 years of Alabama rust on him.  We know Smith did not do well in the McCarney/Chico offense... maybe that changes under Littrell/Harrell.

Lets see how it shakes out in Spring practice before anyone anoints one of these guys as the sure-fire starter.

If you can't complete 50% of your passes in an offense designed to help hide a certain qb from Iowa's lack of ability, how in hades are you going to perform better in a pass-heavy offense that doesn't rely exclusively on the short, safe pass game?

10 hours ago, UNT Fan 92 said:

Mike-- I really don't think DeMarcus will make it to next year if he does not correct his attitude. 

What attitude issues are you referring to?

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Shanbour has as good a shot as Morris... These guys value a QBs ability to dissect and read a defense and deliver a ball on time. 

They have the same shot (though I believe Morris will be given a longer leash) because we don't know what they're capable of.

While I've been a Shanbour fan through film and practice, it's mostly drills that we've seen him in while he's been wearing a red jersey. He was given very limited scrimmage time. Hopefully he's given more opportunity so we can see how he handles, and not just what's under the hood. Good leader and coach, tho.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Aldo said:

What attitude issues are you referring to?

They have the same shot (though I believe Morris will be given a longer leash) because we don't know what they're capable of.

While I've been a Shanbour fan through film and practice, it's mostly drills that we've seen him in while he's been wearing a red jersey. He was given very limited scrimmage time. Hopefully he's given more opportunity so we can see how he handles, and not just what's under the hood. Good leader and coach, tho.

He will. I heard it from the man, well not THE man, but a man. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

If you can't complete 50% of your passes in an offense designed to help hide a certain qb from Iowa's lack of ability, how in hades are you going to perform better in a pass-heavy offense that doesn't rely exclusively on the short, safe pass game?

He needs to be coached when to hang in the pocket, and when to run.  And if he runs, he needs to be coached on throwing on the run, or setting his feet if possible.

He had a great JUCO year.   The ability is there.  He just needs to work hard and apply his coaching.

15 minutes ago, AngusYoungsKneeBrace said:

Yeah!  And, five years after high school isn't too late to put it all together.

Now, passing game fully accounted for,...

...about the fumbling aspect of his game.

He can't be any worse than Brock Berglund, can he?  I guess we'll find out...if he ever transfers to a D-II and can actually get some playing time, something even the mighty Berglund couldn't do!

I love this clip here, because it says everything I need to say. Enjoy:

I don't see Berglund (why are you still talking about him?) McNulty (haha!) or Shanbour (Sorry Shanbour fanboys) making this pass.  
Can Morris?  We don't know...  But Smith can.  
He's bounced all around with a year of QB coaching by a JUCO QB coach and another year under Chico... Let's get him some good QB coaching to see what he can do before lumping him in with friggin Berglund.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, AngusYoungsKneeBrace said:

So, one hail mary pass, trailing 34-7 at the time, is what counts with this guy?  Any accounting as to how the Smith-led offense only generated 7 against WKU's 34 up to that point?

I mean, when it was 55-14 with less than six minutes left in the game, he throws another TD...against WKU's backups.  What are we saying here?  This guy is golden against backups when trailing by 41?  Near halftime when opposing starters are half asleep with a 27 point lead?

I mean, where was this guy when it was 0-0?  0-7?  0-14?

The fact is, he's not a good quarterback.  Hitting one bomb at the end of half doesn't make up for consistently throwing the ball into the ground on five yard slants, over guys' heads...then, throw in the one thing he was consistent at - fumbling.

Sorry, man...the job is Morris' to lose.  There's no shame in not being an FBS-level QB.  Thousands upon thousands of high school QB can't play at that level.  So, there's nothing special or more shameful about Smith not being able to do it.  In the scheme of things, he's just one more guy who couldn't do it.  

He'd be wiser to transfer down to a level where he could be competitive.  He did well enough in JUCO, so he'd probably do well in a D-II situation.  He could go over to Texas A&M-Commerce...where Dajon was rumored to be, but never showed up on the roster.

Well, it's a team game, so when asking about scores and whatnot, you'll have to take the team and coaching into account as well.

I'm trying to point out his ABILITY.  It's all I've been arguing.  It's there.  He needs to be coached, and he needs to respond to his coaching.

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, it's a team game, so when asking about scores and whatnot, you'll have to take the team and coaching into account as well.

I'm trying to point out his ABILITY.  It's all I've been arguing.  It's there.  He needs to be coached, and he needs to respond to his coaching.

Don't matter anymore friend, he's no longer with the team. 

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You serious?
oh-no.gif

As a heart attack. Apparently he and Littrell mutually agreed to part ways, I heard he never showed to throw in the voluntary workouts with WRs etc.. Always had an excuse for why he couldn't, makes me sad.  Kid had a world of talent, and experienced some unfortunate life events this past year. 

• Upvote 3