Big 12 may expand this summer.....

Coach Bill Lewis

UT is happy with 10 schools and is not going to give away 2 more shares to move to 12 so the Conference can have a playoff .In addition, they are  not going to give up the Longhorn network as long as ESPN stays the course. Its all about money, and Texas has the final say in the Big 12. Until someone can figure out how to have a conference network and keep Texas whole then its status quo. If expansion happens, Houston has as good a chance of being invited into the Big 12 as North Texas does the AAC. Presently we are one of the dredges of CUSA and bring absolutely nothing to the table.

• Upvote 4

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:16 AM, wardly said:

UT is happy with 10 schools and is not going to give away 2 more shares to move to 12 so the Conference can have a playoff .In addition, they are  not going to give up the Longhorn network as long as ESPN stays the course. Its all about money, and Texas has the final say in the Big 12. Until someone can figure out how to have a conference network and keep Texas whole then its status quo. If expansion happens, Houston has as good a chance of being invited into the Big 12 as North Texas does the AAC. Presently we are one of the dredges of CUSA and bring absolutely nothing to the table.

I agree on many fronts here.

UT isn't giving up the LHN anytime soon. Its their advantage over the rest of the conference. Texas never gives up its advantages, whether they are in t-shirt fans, revenue, media coverage, or NCAA Compliance personnel.

What the LHN does, for Texas, is give them a lot of revenue now, while also giving them options. Let's say that OU and KU bolt the Big XII for the Big Ten, as has been rumored. Texas could then decide to go independent for the next few years, keep earning their cash, agree to play the Texas members in the Big XII, then wait until the LHN contract expires, and join the conference they want to join the most anyway, the Pac-12 most likely, although the ACC will also be an option they like. I still think that OSU, KSU, and WVU will find Power homes, too. But If that occurs, Iowa State,  Baylor, TCU, and also Tech would get permanently booted from the Power level, as the Big 12 would go the way of the Big East. We would basically have a new G5 league. At that point, finally, the geography of the have-nots would finally have to prevail, I would hope and pray.

The MWC would be your western league. The Big XII would be your Midwestern league. CUSA would be your southern league. The MAC would be your Northern league. The AAC would be your Eastern League. And the SBC would house everyone else.

I see no scenario where the MWC adds LaTech.  I just don't see where it would make any sense for them to do that when they have 5 programs in Texas, plus Tulsa before adding Louisiana to the geographic footprint.

If the MWC were to for some reason want to add 4 teams, I would think the 4 CUSA TX teams would be high on the list, with UTEP at the top of the list.

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I see no scenario where the MWC adds LaTech.  I just don't see where it would make any sense for them to do that when they have 5 programs in Texas, plus Tulsa before adding Louisiana to the geographic footprint.

If the MWC were to for some reason want to add 4 teams, I would think the 4 CUSA TX teams would be high on the list, with UTEP at the top of the list.

o7x1oEZ.gif

I agree with another poster (can't recall who) that the MWC is the most stable of the conferences. I would love NT to be a part of it and having as many of the other Texas teams with us would make it palatable from a travel perspective, but I suspect that they are happy with 12 teams and I am not sure the Texas teams are as content with the stability that the MWC apparently offers.

GMG

7 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Not for recruiting? You don't think they need the access or they wouldn't be successful?

19 hours ago, untcampbell said:

I agree with another poster (can't recall who) that the MWC is the most stable of the conferences. I would love NT to be a part of it and having as many of the other Texas teams with us would make it palatable from a travel perspective, but I suspect that they are happy with 12 teams and I am not sure the Texas teams are as content with the stability that the MWC apparently offers.

GMG

I'm a fan of the MWC as well. I would not mind seeing North Texas take on Boise State, Colorado State, or New Mexico.

19 hours ago, wardly said:

Different time zone is a deal breaker for me. I watch a lot of college football, but very few with 9:00 to 10:00 pm kickoffs. Of course I am 73, so that might be why I don't see many MWC evening games.

Being younger, I miss the day CFB games with other Saturday plans (minus North Texas games) and usually watch the evening and late night games. But I know a good majority like you are the complete opposite. I'm just not a big fan of CUSA turning into another sunbelt, and with well established school names that catch attention in the MWC, I feel like NT could up their credibility in a stronger conference. But.... We are the bottom feeder of CUSA coming out of the 2015 season.... So...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, wardly said:

Different time zone is a deal breaker for me. I watch a lot of college football, but very few with 9:00 to 10:00 pm kickoffs. Of course I am 73, so that might be why I don't see many MWC evening games.

It's almost as if some folks think we'll never play a home game if we move to the MWC.  Or, any game in the Mountain time zone could not possibly be a day game.

It ain't the Big West.   The MWC is a superior conference to anything UNT has been associated with... including our current one.  It would cost more to be in due to travel for olympic sports, but I believe the ROI would be very very big if we could ever find a way to be successful in that conference.

• Upvote 3

On 2/23/2016 at 6:10 PM, wardly said:

The MWC has a lot of day games since it gets pretty cold in the majority of those cities after September. Besides, we're only talking about probably 4 MWC road games per year, with several of them being one hour behind in the mountain time zone. Probably a moot point for the foreseeable future anyway unless Littrell and the new BB coach (please) are quick turnaround artists.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

If we could get in MWC, should go for it!  Worked for TCU.

Don't forget TCU got a special deal that reduced the number of late starts, something both CSU and Wyoming have said they don't want to do again. Plus the MWC is the only conference that does split the TV dollars evenly. 

I would love to go out west to play, just to follow in TCU's footsteps by playing better-known college teams with Texas HS talent. But, for now, we would have to pray that the MWC would look past our hideous warts and decide to give a giant school in Texas the benefit of the doubt and give us a shot. That just isn't going to happen anytime soon, with the losing we have, the lack of attendance, and the unknown of if anyone would even want UNT in their conference within the MWC.

The Big XII is the key here. When it falls apart, which should be anytime within the next 5-10 years, there is going to be a gigantic wave of G5 realignment. It could be the Big XII keeps up as a G5 conference, with TCU, Baylor, and ISU in the league, and they add Tulsa, SMU, UH, Memphis, Tulane, NIU, UTEP, UTSA, and La Tech.

That would leave the MWC and the AAC with a few decisions to make. If they want back in Texas, do they go after Rice and us? If not, the MWC stays at 12, the Big 12 goes back to 12, the MAC goes back to 12, and the AAC adds whoever they feel makes sense for them. Assuming that Cincy, UConn, USF, UCF, Temple, ECU, and Navy stay in the AAC, that leaves them needing 5 spots. If they stay east only, then they would add Marshall, WKU, MUTS, an F_U, and probably UMass. If that occurred, then CUSA probably keeps UNT and Rice, adds in NMSU and Texas State, as well as ULL and Arky State in the west, combining with USM, UAB, leftover F_U, Charlotte, Old Dominion, and probably a school like Georgia State, since they are in Atlanta and the CUSA officials like schools that they believe can deliver a large metro area (even though nothing shows they ever do).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was checking out the FCS Stats videos on Youtube about FCS stability. Craig Haley, FCS Head writer for STATS, was mentioning that the FCS commissioners were looking at the possible upcoming changes in the FBS, especially among the P-5 conferences. When asked what he saw for the FCS in 5 years, he said that if the P-5 decides to break off on their own, he sees the possibility of a merger between the G-5 and the FCS top conferences. 

FCS stability

Edited by caseyorourke
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, caseyorourke said:

I was checking out the FCS Stats videos on Youtube about FCS stability. Craig Haley, FCS Head writer for STATS, was mentioning that the FCS commissioners were looking at the possible upcoming changes in the FBS, especially among the P-5 conferences. When asked what he saw for the FCS in 5 years, he said that if the P-5 decides to break off on their own, he sees the possibility of a merger between the G-5 and the FCS top conferences. 

FCS stability

I think this is wishful speculation. TV revenue in G5 is dropping. Just like UT in B12, why would G5 want to share revenues with those who want to move up? The fact that they want to or it looks like a good move for them doesn't mean it's good for the G5 members. 

1 hour ago, caseyorourke said:

FCS stability

Not to come off as an elitist, but you're dreaming. The nutsack hanging above me explained why. 

On 2/23/2016 at 2:55 PM, untjim1995 said:

I would love to go out west to play, just to follow in TCU's footsteps by playing better-known college teams with Texas HS talent. But, for now, we would have to pray that the MWC would look past our hideous warts and decide to give a giant school in Texas the benefit of the doubt and give us a shot. That just isn't going to happen anytime soon, with the losing we have, the lack of attendance, and the unknown of if anyone would even want UNT in their conference within the MWC.

The Big XII is the key here. When it falls apart, which should be anytime within the next 5-10 years, there is going to be a gigantic wave of G5 realignment. It could be the Big XII keeps up as a G5 conference, with TCU, Baylor, and ISU in the league, and they add Tulsa, SMU, UH, Memphis, Tulane, NIU, UTEP, UTSA, and La Tech.

That would leave the MWC and the AAC with a few decisions to make. If they want back in Texas, do they go after Rice and us? If not, the MWC stays at 12, the Big 12 goes back to 12, the MAC goes back to 12, and the AAC adds whoever they feel makes sense for them. Assuming that Cincy, UConn, USF, UCF, Temple, ECU, and Navy stay in the AAC, that leaves them needing 5 spots. If they stay east only, then they would add Marshall, WKU, MUTS, an F_U, and probably UMass. If that occurred, then CUSA probably keeps UNT and Rice, adds in NMSU and Texas State, as well as ULL and Arky State in the west, combining with USM, UAB, leftover F_U, Charlotte, Old Dominion, and probably a school like Georgia State, since they are in Atlanta and the CUSA officials like schools that they believe can deliver a large metro area (even though nothing shows they ever do).

Naw, too many think they would have to stay up an extra hour or two a couple of times a year for that to ever happen. No chance.

2 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

I think this is wishful speculation. TV revenue in G5 is dropping. Just like UT in B12, why would G5 want to share revenues with those who want to move up? The fact that they want to or it looks like a good move for them doesn't mean it's good for the G5 members. 

This was not coming from me, but is speculation from Craig Haley, a senior editor for STATS.   I think he would qualify as someone who knows the ins and outs of college football on a national level, would not bring up this possibility, unless he's been talking to various football insiders and/or the respective conference commissioners from both the G-5 and FCS.  

Given that the FCS is gaining more recognition and becoming more relevant in football circles,the push to move up have not been as strong as it has been in the past. I for one don't think it is a move that is necessarily in the FCS' best interest and I really doubt the FCS commissioners would feel the need to come begging the G-5 for any type of merger.  Right now, the only way for any team to move up is to be invited by a higher division conference, so it is currently impossible for an entire conference to move up, even if they wanted.

Any offer of a merger would have to come from the top down, i.e. from the G-5 commissioners to at least the top tier FCS conferences.  Since, as far as I know such a mechanism does not exists it would have to be negotiated and fully approved by the commissioners of the entire G-5, the various elite FCS conferences and the NCAA. 

IMOHO, I think it will all boil down to how desperate the G-5 becomes for more teams and increased competition once the P-5's finally decide to become completely autonomous and leaves the G-5 twisting in the wind.

Edited by caseyorourke

9 hours ago, caseyorourke said:

This was not coming from me, but is speculation from Craig Haley, a senior editor for STATS.   I think he would qualify as someone who knows the ins and outs of college football on a national level, would not bring up this possibility, unless he's been talking to various football insiders and/or the respective conference commissioners from both the G-5 and FCS.  

Given that the FCS is gaining more recognition and becoming more relevant in football circles,the push to move up have not been as strong as it has been in the past. I for one don't think it is a move that is necessarily in the FCS' best interest and I really doubt the FCS commissioners would feel the need to come begging the G-5 for any type of merger.  Right now, the only way for any team to move up is to be invited by a higher division conference, so it is currently impossible for an entire conference to move up, even if they wanted.

Any offer of a merger would have to come from the top down, i.e. from the G-5 commissioners to at least the top tier FCS conferences.  Since, as far as I know such a mechanism does not exists it would have to be negotiated and fully approved by the commissioners of the entire G-5, the various elite FCS conferences and the NCAA. 

IMOHO, I think it will all boil down to how desperate the G-5 becomes for more teams and increased competition once the P-5's finally decide to become completely autonomous and leaves the G-5 twisting in the wind.

Casey, I apologize if I gave the impression that I thought that was your analysis and not the suit on the clip. I will respectfully disagree with your stated reason of increased competition as the driver for realignment. Regarding his being an expert from a known organization, I certainly don't challenge his pedigree, I'm merely pointing out that economics and history show his assessment to be unfounded.