My visit to the Super Pit

MJavierSMU

Yeah, I realize there's a disconnect with Benford right now. It's similar to the way it was for us with Doherty. 

BTW, if any of you decide to come to Moody and have any questions, let me know. I'll help you out the best I can. I'm still riding high from last night. We got a nice recap from one of the S.I. writers. 

http://patternofbasketball.blogspot.com/2016/01/smu-vs-uh.html

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

Yeah, I realize there's a disconnect with Benford right now. It's similar to the way it was for us with Doherty. 

BTW, if any of you decide to come to Moody and have any questions, let me know. I'll help you out the best I can. I'm still riding high from last night. We got a nice recap from one of the S.I. writers. 

http://patternofbasketball.blogspot.com/2016/01/smu-vs-uh.html

Yep. Congrats to you guys. We had some good basketball around here for a while but nothing near what you guys are doing. Has to sting that there won't be post--season though. 

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Yep. Congrats to you guys. We had some good basketball around here for a while but nothing near what you guys are doing. Has to sting that there won't be post--season though. 

Definitely hurts but the way we're looking at it is this isn't a one or two year flash in the pan. We should be at a top 25 level moving forward. Larry has two more years on his contract and wants extension. If we can land Froling, we could be better next year. 

BTW, just saw it is official with KF to UNT. I hope it works out. If he gets everything straightened out, he will definitely help you. I would like to see him succeed. 

• Upvote 2

Larry Brown may get you into trouble, but the $$$ you make from him being your coach is pretty strong. Hell, SMU still benefits from the Death Penalty by SWC media that think it was somehow "cool and so Dallas" that they cheated bigtime, always championing you guys to be included in the Power Leagues.

In college sports, cheating pays--it always has. SMU's only problem is that they are a small private school with a recognizable name for the NCAA to hammer down upon, instead of hitting UNC or Kentucky hard for their past indiscretions.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Larry Brown may get you into trouble, but the $$$ you make from him being your coach is pretty strong. Hell, SMU still benefits from the Death Penalty by SWC media that think it was somehow "cool and so Dallas" that they cheated bigtime, always championing you guys to be included in the Power Leagues.

In college sports, cheating pays--it always has. SMU's only problem is that they are a small private school with a recognizable name for the NCAA to hammer down upon, instead of hitting UNC or Kentucky hard for their past indiscretions.

There other problem is being in the Dallas sports media. Those guys don't have any allegiance to SMU like some reporters in Austin or College Station and the like would. 

• Upvote 2

I've questioned the coaching in the past but didn't have any issues the other night. Contrary to what everyone believes, there are too many kids on this team that can't play. 

What I saw against WKU was a weak bench. Free throws and foul trouble hurt this team down the stretch. 

Frazier, if he makes it in school and/or stays, will make everyone much better. SMU is a couple of notches above UNT so Frazier's weakness will not be so apparent. 

Hopefully, his addition will attrack a much better center in the middle. (Something this team sorely misses)

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I've questioned the coaching in the past but didn't have any issues the other night. Contrary to what everyone believes, there are too many kids on this team that can't play. 

What I saw against WKU was a weak bench. Free throws and foul trouble hurt this team down the stretch. 

Frazier, if he makes it in school and/or stays, will make everyone much better. SMU is a couple of notches above UNT so Frazier's weakness will not be so apparent. 

Hopefully, his addition will attrack a much better center in the middle. (Something this team sorely misses)

Do you not believe Brice will be the starting center next year? Where do you see him and Fuller fitting in?  

I do agree we have the worst bench I have seen in years. Anefiok leaving the team and then Harria getting kicked off hurt us there... Deckie, Combs, and Reese are all legit though. 

Brice is probably another year away from being an impact center. This was my initial  assessment from watching him in high school. Fuller is just a big body that you can throw in the game for limited minutes. We need a consistent down low presence to open up outside shots and clog up the middle on defense. Combs is effective at the 4 but certainly not the big man needed in the middle. 

There are a couple of big men from the area that I have been monitoring (transfers from P5) that are in juco. Benford's window is closing and he must take advantage of the guys you mentioned in 16-17.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Brice is probably another year away from being an impact center. This was my initial  assessment from watching him in high school.  

Wait, but you said he would average at least 10 points and 8 rebounds per game as a freshman.

"Brice will avg. at least 10 PPG, 8 RBS and 2 BLKs per game as a freshman. Yes, the competition will be stronger but he will not have 2 guys doubling him the entire game. (albeit 6-1) Additionally, we have not had a point guard (since Weasel Johnson) that can break down defenses and get into the lane like J'Mychal Reese. Brice will make his living from dish passes, alley oops and follow-up dunks. His left handed hook, to his right, is money down low. Robinson's game was completely different; as he never played down low. Brice's game has evolved where he does not take outside shots like he did before his senior year.

It'll be fun to revisit this in a year"

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Wait, but you said he would average at least 10 points and 8 rebounds per game as a freshman.

"Brice will avg. at least 10 PPG, 8 RBS and 2 BLKs per game as a freshman. Yes, the competition will be stronger but he will not have 2 guys doubling him the entire game. (albeit 6-1) Additionally, we have not had a point guard (since Weasel Johnson) that can break down defenses and get into the lane like J'Mychal Reese. Brice will make his living from dish passes, alley oops and follow-up dunks. His left handed hook, to his right, is money down low. Robinson's game was completely different; as he never played down low. Brice's game has evolved where he does not take outside shots like he did before his senior year.

Those would be his exact numbers (or better) if he started. If fact, his production for the minutes played is probably the best on the team. Look that up. Ricky Brice has picked up at least 40 pounds since high school. No one saw that in 3-6 months. He is not in the shape to start. He also stays in foul trouble which also limits his minutes. He is clearly the most talented big on the team but I don't have a problem with him not starting. 

Now, since you are the self appointed recruiting expert, go back and pull up your posts about how Dan McCarney's recruiting classes and commitments were clearly much better than prior coaches.  (Based on some silly star system and offers)  To help you out, this went on for a year or two. 

Since you probably won't, list the steps for me and I'll be happy to do so. Why didn't you bother to pull up where I stated that he would be a major contributor by his junior year? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Those would be his exact numbers (or better) if he started. If fact, his production for the minutes played is probably the best on the team. Look that up. Ricky Brice has picked up at least 40 pounds since high school. No one saw that in 3-6 months. He is not in the shape to start. He also stays in foul trouble which also limits his minutes. He is clearly the most talented big on the team but I don't have a problem with him not starting. 

Now, since you are the self appointed recruiting expert, go back and pull up your posts about how Dan McCarney's recruiting classes and commitments were clearly much better than prior coaches.  (Based on some silly star system and offers)  To help you out, this went on for a year or two. 

Since you probably won't, list the steps for me and I'll be happy to do so. Why didn't you bother to pull up where I stated that he would be a major contributor by his junior year? 

I have never called myself a recruiting expert. I don't understand why that's everyone's go-to attack against me, when I've literally never said that.

And also I have always been very critical of Mccarney's recruiting even when it was unpopular to do so. And certainly not based on any star system. I still think 2014 was a good class, but I've never said any other class under Mccarney was good then or now. Or not that it was better than what Dodge was doing.

I pulled up this statement because you said it would be fun to revisit it in a year.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I have never called myself a recruiting expert. I don't understand why that's everyone's go-to attack against me, when I've literally never said that.

And also I have always been very critical of Mccarney's recruiting even when it was unpopular to do so. And certainly not based on any star system. I still think 2014 was a good class, but I've never said any other class under Mccarney was good then or now. Or not that it was better than what Dodge was doing.

I pulled up this statement because you said it would be fun to revisit it in a year.

Just sign up for the GMG basketball game and settle it like men! If only tasty or CBL would sign up. To many people talk but don't show up to play. Sign up! Both of y'all. More people sign up maybe the game might be moved to a real court and you could get 4 teams. No reason 50 people couldn't sign up and the game could bring in 10k....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

@Cooley got the left hand hook shot part right.

I like Brice. He seems to like being here, but his footwork (especially on the defensive end) appears suspect. I said early this year that I thought he would struggle at times and he has. I think with good coaching (which means no Benford) and some hard work he will be amazing as an upperclassman.

Just now, Army of Dad said:

@Cooley got the left hand hook shot part right.

I like Brice. He seems to like being here, but his footwork (especially on the defensive end) appears suspect. I said early this year that I thought he would struggle at times and he has. I think with good coaching (which means no Benford) and some hard work he will be amazing as an upperclassman.

For a 18 year old 7 footer he has pretty good foot work. It seems like his lack of playtime is due to match ups. Obviously he needs to get better and Combs and Katenda are better at this point. With the right coach and time put in Brice could be a beast! 

Bryce's freshman year is just about what I predicted it to be. Very similiar to Forrest Robinson's first year, except Robinson was on a more talented roster. 

The argument that he doesn't have good numbers because he isn't starting is crazy. He plays on a team that desperately needs a center, yet he can't get more than 5-8 minutes a game? 

Cooley's assessment is right. It will take till his junior year before he develops (much like I predicted preseason). The similarities in him and Forrest were striking (big guys coming from small programs where the competition was less than stellar). Although different types of players, first year struggles for both were going to happen.

And they have. 

• Downvote 4

33 minutes ago, Andrew said:

For a 18 year old 7 footer he has pretty good foot work. It seems like his lack of playtime is due to match ups. Obviously he needs to get better and Combs and Katenda are better at this point. With the right coach and time put in Brice could be a beast! 

I see his defensive footwork as a major contributing factor to picking up fouls. Positioning will help, but his footwork plays a big role too.

I do wish we would try to get him the ball on the block more. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

Brice is getting more than "5 to 8" minutes per game.  Try 10 to 15 per game.

My bad. 4.3 points and 1.6 rebounds in 13.6 minutes per game.

It just seems like 5-8 minutes a game in the admittedly limited games I've been exposed to this year. 

Compare that to 1.6 points and 1.2 rebounds Robinson averaged in 6.0 minutes a game his freshman year. On a far more talented team that didn't have a need at his position.

Very comparable numbers, just like I predicted they would be preseason. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I see his defensive footwork as a major contributing factor to picking up fouls. Positioning will help, but his footwork plays a big role too.

I am honestly am surprised we don't lob it to him in the post. If our offensive spacing was good he would have plenty of room to work or he would draw a foul on the entry pass. Reese simply needs to lob it into the post and let Brice do the rest.

12 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

From what I saw at the UTA game, he doesn't know what to do back to the basket on the low block with the ball. Very few freshman do now-a-days, so not necessarily that big of a deal in the big picture (other than his coaching, obviously), but definitely not a good low post option at this point.

Which is why he is playing 13.6 minutes a game. 

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Bryce's freshman year is just about what I predicted it to be. Very similiar to Forrest Robinson's first year, except Robinson was on a more talented roster. 

The argument that he doesn't have good numbers because he isn't starting is crazy. He plays on a team that desperately needs a center, yet he can't get more than 5-8 minutes a game? 

Cooley's assessment is right. It will take till his junior year before he develops (much like I predicted preseason). The similarities in him and Forrest were striking (big guys coming from small programs where the competition was less than stellar). Although different types of players, first year struggles for both were going to happen.

And they have. 

Brice

• Upvote 3