Big 12 Championship Proposal before NCAA today

AUSTIN, Texas — Two days after Alabama's latest national championship, a vote at the NCAA's annual convention could have a huge impact on which teams make the College Football Playoff going forward.

A proposal by the Big 12 Conference set for consideration Wednesday in San Antonio would deregulate how conferences conduct their championship games. It would let the 10-team Big 12 play a title game without being forced to break into divisions or expand — and it would allow the other major conferences to potentially tinker with their championships as well.

If the Big 12 doesn't get what it wants, it could be forced once again to consider adding teams.

Potential impacts for us: obviously the Big 12 could look towards the AAC for new teams, which once again could set in motion conference re-alignment. Should be interesting to follow. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/ncaa-convention-to-include-big-proposal-on-football-conference-title/article_47cf6a0a-1182-5be3-8da8-91cce20acff6.html

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Huff said:

To quote Nancy Reagan the NCAA should "just say no" to the Big 12.   Everyone wants folks to make an exception to the rules for them.   This is no different.   The rule is that if you want a playoff game you have to have 12 teams.   I can think of no reason why the Big 12  should be an exception to this rule.   Either add two teams or learn to live with the consequences.

A thousand time this.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Huff said:

To quote Nancy Reagan the NCAA should "just say no" to the Big 12.   Everyone wants folks to make an exception to the rules for them.   This is no different.   The rule is that if you want a playoff game you have to have 12 teams.   I can think of no reason why the Big 12  should be an exception to this rule.   Either add two teams or learn to live with the consequences.

I agree and I doubt this will pass. Look for them to add Houston (obvious choice) and maybe a Temple or Memphis as well. SMU is probably not an option so this may not effect us directly but I could see a ripple effect if AAC tries to add teams from other conferences to replace the outgoing teams. This is all speculative at this point though, but this could be the first step. 

• Upvote 1

It's ridiculous all the way around. 

Look at some of the other conference championship games:  a team (Iowa, Florida) plays a weaker schedule by getting lucky with their cross-divisional games and they end up in the conference championship when they're probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference...at best.  While the Big 12's "One True Champion" slogan embarrassed them last year, the concept behind it is true; all teams play one another and it's decided on the field.  What would they have done this year, have OU and OSU play on back-to-back weekends?

Let's take it to our conference.  I'm sure we are the only team in our division that had to play Marshall, WKU, Southern Miss, and MTSU.  The rest are playing the Florida schools, Charlotte, and ODU, which is hardly equal.  But, I digress as I'm getting off subject.

I, too, hope they don't get a waiver on the rule.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2

I would let them do it with 10 only because I don't want CUSA to get raided by the AAC.  Houston would be the first to go. Which means Rice would easily slide into their place.  We would likely take Texas State in their place but I would rather keep Rice.  And if Memphis or Cincinatti goes, I could easily see Marshall, WKY or USM go to AAC. I don't want to see either of them go and be replaced by other Sun Belt programs.  So I say give them their 10 so we can avoid movement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Correct me if I'm misremembering, but wasn't it OU/Stoops who used to complain the the Big 12 had a tougher time getting to the BCS championship because they had to play a conference title game and other conferences didn't?

These big schools and conferences whining...it's like ungrateful kids opening their Christmas gifts and telling you they don't like them.

I'll add this...I'm no fan of Texas.  But, when they showed DeLoss Dodds the door, they lost a lot of clout - both the school and the conference.  No other athletic director in the Big 12 has been able to step up and, really, fill his shoes.    

I don't know about 90's incessant complaining about RV, but this is why I'm so upset that he's been allowed to make so many bad hires and keep his job for so long. 

Since he hired Dodge we're 31-78. First he hired a high school coach but, most importantly, let him bring in his high school staff when he shouldn't have, then everyone freaks out and blamed it on Dodge being a high school coach and inexperienced.

So he hires a coach with experience, which when you do at North Texas usually means that coach lost his last head coaching gig (true in this case). So we bring him in and he wants to run an offense that non-AQ/G5 teams haven't made any noise with in recent history, and he's so out of touch with recruits that he signs a bunch of kids no other FBS teams want and we end up basically the worst FBS team at 1-11.

Now it looks like major change is imminent and any chance of "being the next Boise State" is really waning.

• Upvote 6

Couple of things...

1. The requests that the Big12 be forced to have a title game is coming from the Pac12 initially.

2. Newest version of the amendment requires this to only happen if every team plays each other in conf (round robin) and was included to keep the ACC from playing divisions and then choosing who gets in the title game

3. If you force the B12 to expand, and this will, then expect both this to go to court and to see this spur an even more confusing group of realignment at the G5 level.

4. Letting the B12 have a conf game is probably the safest option across the board for all the major players involved. If you force expansion you increase instability and the likelihood of one of the major powers, UT or OU, (and KU to an extent) moving increases. This is fine if you are the conference  that gets either major piece both the others conferences lose out out. This is a game theory exercise and the safest alternative is to allow the B12 to gain stability and to grant this waiver.

• Upvote 1

While UH makes logical sense...Im not sure Houston is the shoe in everyone thinks. They dont offer anything that the conf doesnt already have. And they would be a direct competitor for the same recruits everyone else is fighting for. Memphis is eastern, but still a haul for WVU. Cincinnati is closer to WVU but not sure they have the clout. Marshal is a natural fit for WVU but not sure of how they get along. A Florida school would be nice to tap into that recruiting hot bed. Co St is improving their facilities and kinda fits the footprint. A Co St + BYU combo would make sense.

Now that the Frogs, Bears & Cowboys have risen up, you gotta figure Texas would prefer a weaker sister to beat up on than another power house. 

3 minutes ago, Cowtown said:

While UH makes logical sense...Im not sure Houston is the shoe in everyone thinks. They dont offer anything that the conf doesnt already have. And they would be a direct competitor for the same recruits everyone else is fighting for. Memphis is eastern, but still a haul for WVU. Cincinnati is closer to WVU but not sure they have the clout. Marshal is a natural fit for WVU but not sure of how they get along. A Florida school would be nice to tap into that recruiting hot bed. Co St is improving their facilities and kinda fits the footprint. A Co St + BYU combo would make sense.

Now that the Frogs, Bears & Cowboys have risen up, you gotta figure Texas would prefer a weaker sister to beat up on than another power house. 

Tech would throw a fit & I don't think Baylor or TCU would be happy about having Houston grab more of the Texas pie.   UT likely doesn't care either way, but they hold the keys to the conference.

I don't understand why BYU would not want to join and/or why the Big12 would not want to have them.   From there, I would think the Big12 would want to expand their footprint by taking Louisville/Cincy/Pitt/some other ACC school.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Tech would throw a fit & I don't think Baylor or TCU would be happy about having Houston grab more of the Texas pie.   UT likely doesn't care either way, but they hold the keys to the conference.

I don't understand why BYU would not want to join and/or why the Big12 would not want to have them.   From there, I would think the Big12 would want to expand their footprint by taking Louisville/Cincy/Pitt/some other ACC school.

Agree. I think BYU is logical. Someone from the acc is smart for WVU but not sure Louisville will since the big 12 passed on them during the last realignment.

Anyone think A&M will come back after getting beat up in the SEC?

2 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Correct me if I'm misremembering, but wasn't it OU/Stoops who used to complain the the Big 12 had a tougher time getting to the BCS championship because they had to play a conference title game and other conferences didn't?

Not sure if he said it, but I think it's true.  I still think the Big 12 is crazy to play a championship game. 

54 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

Anyone think A&M will come back after getting beat up in the SEC?

I have a better chance of succeeding RV at North Texas...assuming I'm still alive once he decides to hang it up:)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

I could see Houston and Memphis to the Big 12. AAC might grab Southern Miss maybe...Marshall?

I doubt that they will add anyone ever, just from a payout standpoint, but if they added two teams, you can almost certainly bet it would be Cincy and Memphis. Should it be HOuston? Yes, but its not gonna happen because they add nothing new to the conference from a TV standpoint and a recruiting standpoint.

I would see the AAC adding MUTS to replace Memphis with Nashville's market and NIU or Ohio to replace Cincy, which would leave the MAC at 12 teams and force us to add one team, which would most likely be ULL.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

ACC schools are likely out. They signed that big agreement that means they have a huge payout to the conference and don't own their media rights for another 15+ years. The cost to move for any of them is probably just too big.

• Upvote 1

photo-thumb-41190.jpg

CUSA Bowl Success

Cougar King replied to UNT 90 Grad's topic in Mean Green Football

You hate us because you ain't us. Don't get mad because we got bigger fish to fry as opposed to hanging around for G5 amateur hour.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, what time do y'all come on stage?

Edited by GangGreen
  • Upvote 3