Rice (1/9/16)

CMJ

4 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Benford really working the refs.

Most pointless exercise ever by college coaches.

This is a nice win and hopefully provides some confidence (even though Rice is terrible). There is some talent here. Hopefully not enough to get Benford a new contract (.500 record should do it.)

Edit: Holy crap, I look up and its an 8 point game

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

75% from the FT line is the best news we could have.  Combs seemed to have an injury - but he went back in.  Hopefully he will be ok.

Katenda getting 18 was huge.  If he can play like this for the rest of the season it would be helpful.

Pleased to hear that DeAundre was at the game supporting his teammates.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

75% from the FT line is the best news we could have.  Combs seemed to have an injury - but he went back in.  Hopefully he will be ok.

Katenda getting 18 was huge.  If he can play like this for the rest of the season it would be helpful.

It stinks being down two scholership players. Imagine having Harris and Anefiok coming off the bench. We would actually have bench scoring which we rarely have now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting to see if Katenda starts the next game.

With Benford, you never know.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Agree that you never know, but article in today's paper mentioned that our three centers are used in "situational" circumstances.  Seems to depend upon who we are playing and their style of play as much as how one of the big guys performed in the last game or so.  But, today we saw a lot of Ketunda...big game for him...monster dunk...and Brice, but mostly Katenda.  Do not recall seeing Fuller in the game.  Anyone know if he is hurt?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think about playing basketball and how difficult it would be to play with only one eye.  It really makes me appreciate Katenda and what he is accomplishing.  It would have been easy to walk away.

1 hour ago, JesseMartin said:

That's disgusting.  I guess he really is desperate to keep his job.

Assume you noticed that he got that intentional foul call he has been talking about, right?  Came at a really good time too for the Mean Green.

Honest question...why is it "disgusting"?  I see high school, college and pro coaches doing it on a consistent basis.  In fact, I wish Jalie would do it a bit more.    

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Assume you noticed that he got that intentional foul call he has been talking about, right?  Came at a really good time too for the Mean Green.

Honest question...why is it "disgusting"?  I see high school, college and pro coaches doing it on a consistent basis.  In fact, I wish Jalie would do it a bit more.    

I saw that and liked it.  I don't understand what happened, I don't understand why, and I certainly don't know what the background is, but it's no secret that the single biggest aspect of the game of basketball that prevents me from watching it on a regular basis is the fact that the last two minutes of every game ever played in the history of the universe take more time to complete than the first 38 because it's nothing more than intentional foul after intentional foul leading to six years of free throws.

Whatever this call was, and I believe it was "intentional foul," it penalized the team doing the fouling by awarding both the shots and the ball.  If this thing catches on, maybe there will be more action at the end of games and less standing around.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I want to add this in the negative column.  After we make a big three or bucket, it seems like the opponent is able to easily score.  Or when we took the timeout late in the game to prepare for Rice trying to score quickly they were able to get it down low against Katenda and they scored and got the foul.  It seems like our defense at key times is very suspect.  This has to change against the better teams.  I also think we need Fuller to keep improving, he seems  to have hit a wall.  Reece has shown that he will turn the ball over and when he is able to protect the ball we have a better chance to win.  We had like a 17 point lead late when Brown got into foul trouble (4) and we immediately let them get right back in the game.  There seems to be a big guard drop off on the bench.  Carrington Ward is a redshirt junior -- he should be contributing more at this point.

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

I want to add this in the negative column.  After we make a big three or bucket, it seems like the opponent is able to easily score.  Or when we took the timeout late in the game to prepare for Rice trying to score quickly they were able to get it down low against Katenda and they scored and got the foul.  It seems like our defense at key times is very suspect.  This has to change against the better teams.  I also think we need Fuller to keep improving, he seems  to have hit a wall.  Reece has shown that he will turn the ball over and when he is able to protect the ball we have a better chance to win.  We had like a 17 point lead late when Brown got into foul trouble (4) and we immediately let them get right back in the game.  There seems to be a big guard drop off on the bench.  Carrington Ward is a redshirt junior -- he should be contributing more at this point.

UNT hasn't been good defensively for the previous 3 years under Benford, and they aren't going to start now. 

It is a Benford coached team, after all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

No, I was just referring to how absolutely dirty it sounded, not what actually happened.

• Upvote 1

This game was on a nice big screen at a TX Roadhouse up here in MEM. I don't know what channel; it wasn't on any of the zillion sports channels I get at home. That big green eagle on the court looks great on TV.

I sure have come to appreciate the wins over a recognizable school like Rice. Imagine how great it would be if they happened more often.

• Upvote 5

On 1/9/2016 at 4:26 PM, oldguystudent said:

I saw that and liked it.  I don't understand what happened, I don't understand why, and I certainly don't know what the background is, but it's no secret that the single biggest aspect of the game of basketball that prevents me from watching it on a regular basis is the fact that the last two minutes of every game ever played in the history of the universe take more time to complete than the first 38 because it's nothing more than intentional foul after intentional foul leading to six years of free throws.

Whatever this call was, and I believe it was "intentional foul," it penalized the team doing the fouling by awarding both the shots and the ball.  If this thing catches on, maybe there will be more action at the end of games and less standing around.

It has been around for awhile, if the ball is in the Frontcourt you can not foul someone in the Backcourt or it is intentional automatically.  Here is my thing, if you don't want to get fouled don't be bad at Free Throws it isn't that difficult.  I applaud Benford's efforts but it is a silly thing to have to whine about.  Make your FT's and they quit fouling you intentionally. 

5 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

It has been around for awhile, if the ball is in the Frontcourt you can not foul someone in the Backcourt or it is intentional automatically.  Here is my thing, if you don't want to get fouled don't be bad at Free Throws it isn't that difficult.  I applaud Benford's efforts but it is a silly thing to have to whine about.  Make your FT's and they quit fouling you intentionally. 

He's looking for the next call and not some sort of action for the UTEP game. If worked too, Rice got hit with the intentional on Saturday when they fouled Combs.

Yes, our free throw shooting is awful. Benford recruited all of these players so he bears (at least) some responsibility, but I don't mind Benford advocating for his team. Kind of like I didn't bitch about opposing coaches fouling more than usual to make us beat them at the line. It's a strategy and as long as they aren't doing it in ways more likely to injure out guys then I understand they are doing what they can for their own teams.

• Upvote 1