My two scents

bdan2002

Just my two scents on whomever is hired ...  

More than anything, whomever is hired, I am excited to have a coach who is actually relevant nationally.  Can anyone tell me when we had a coach whose teams were on national tv every weekend?  Whose teams were ranked?  Whose teams will be playing in significant bowl games?  

Having a national relevant coach means nationally relevant assistants. From what I read unt had the largest assistant pool in cusa at $1.4M. Can you imagine pulling a position coach from tcu to be out DC?  Someone who studied under Gary Patterson?  What about a coach who worked under Gene Chizik?  That's the caliber of coach we can expecting. These guys are going to be recruiting P5 assistants to unt - that should make you tingle in special places. 

Relevant assitants mean relevant players.  Whomever is hired, best believe that a local hs coach will be on staff as a position coach.  And that person can help bridge the gap in maybe the connections our new coach might not have.  

This is an exciting time for unt football, no matter who is chosen. To go 1-11 and still have this kind of interest; for us to be debating about taking an assistant whose combined teams went 21-3 this year is incredible. 

Im excited, I'm on board. And these are my two scents - might be closer to a dollar, but whose counting?

Edited by bdan2002
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Just my two scents on whomever is hired ...  

More than anything, whomever is hired, I am excited to have a coach who is actually relevant nationally.  Can anyone tell me when we had a coach whose teams were on national tv every weekend?  Whose teams were ranked?  Whose teams will be playing in significant bowl games?  

Having a national relevant coach means nationally relevant assistants. From what I read unt had the largest assistant pool in cusa at $1.4M. Can you imagine pulling a position coach from tcu to be out DC?  Someone who studied under Gary Patterson?  What about a coach who worked under Gene Chizik?  That's the caliber of coach we can expecting. These guys are going to be recruiting P5 assistants to unt - that should make you tingle in special places. 

Relevant assitants mean relevant players.  Whomever is hired, best believe that a local hs coach will be on staff as a position coach.  And that person can help bridge the gap in maybe the connections our new coach might not have.  

This is an exciting time for unt football, no matter who is chosen. To go 1-11 and still have this kind of interest; for us to be debating about taking an assistant whose combined teams went 21-3 this year is incredible. 

Im excited, I'm on board. And these are my two scents - might be closer to a dollar, but whose counting?

An interesting way to look at it, you are right I think, not really sure what it means at the end of the day. 

Can anyone tell me when we had a coach whose teams were on national tv every weekend?  Whose teams were ranked?  Whose teams will be playing in significant bowl games?  

Not sure what you mean here. McCarney was the assistant head coach and defensive line coach at Florida when hired by UNT. Florida met all of your criteria for national relevance.

• Upvote 3

Not sure what you mean here. McCarney was the assistant head coach and defensive line coach at Florida when hired by UNT. Florida met all of your criteria for national relevance.

I would have qualified this with is a coordinator at a Nationally relevant school. Obviously his title was assistant head coach, but he wasn't coordinating the defense. This is a big step-up to me. You go from HS head coach -> assistant at P5 -> coordinator at P5. 

Yeah but we did not know about Mac until after the hire was announced, I am remembering that is that correct?