MGB Saturday coach search update

Brett Vito

Chambers and Jinks could be interviews to appease those(Powerless NCAA mandate) that want minority interviews. A Chambers interview also appeases those that want a letterman. I don't think either of the two have a chance at the job. I think the reality is that Meacham and Littrell are the true finalists that actually have a shot at the job. I wonder if it was Meacham or TCU that wouldn't allow the interview until after TCU's regular season was over.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Surely RV is not talking to any of these candidates.   I hope RV is not doing a damn thing and Smatresk is doing all the talking and interviewing. RV can file the paperwork and schedule the meetings, oh crap we better not let RV schedule anything. I guess Smatresk's assistant should do that. 

Of the coaches announced I am liking Littrell more and more. I like he was under Leech, can recruit 

But nobody on the list has proven they can build a staff, which might be the most important. Based on his resume I would think Littrell is the best rounded for this. I guess we will see, I hope we as a school funds our New Coach enough to get the staff he wants. 

Edited by KingDL1

I'm fine with either of these guys. 

But, if we're paying either of them more than Mac made, then I think we're just throwing money at them for the sake of saying we pay our coach $X per year. 

True, unless we are competing with other offers. You never know if either has been offered more as even an offensive coordinator for another P5 school. A lot of P5's pay their OC's more than we pay head coaches and both these guys are due for a raise. 

• Upvote 1

Of the coaches announced I am liking Littrell more and more. I like he was under Leech, can recruit 

But nobody on the list as proven they can build a staff, which is might be the most important. Based on his resume I would think Littrell is the best rounded for this. I guess we will see, I hope we as a school funds our New Coach enough to get the staff he wants. 

Agree with this. I like that Littreell learned under both Leach and Mangino(when things were good at Kansas). I don't like that Meacham only has 3 years of FBS coordinator experience as a 51 year old. I like that Littrell has 6 years of calling plays at the FBS level as a 37 year old.

However, Lincoln Riley is giving goodbye hugs on the Sooner sideline because he is ready to travel to Denton.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think they are guessing at the wild cards Vito is referring to, Briles has some real interesting bonuses, like daddy support. I mean that is very good way. 

If they were finalist, they would be in Zach's leak. Litrell and Meacham are the big names, the wild cards are likely lower level assistants the AD didn't want getting out. 

Sorry I can't get excited about littrell. Meacham has everything on his resume that littrell plus more. 

Are we reading the same resumes?

From what I have read Littrell has more experience and is much younger with more energy?

Are we reading the same resumes?

From what I have read Littrell has more experience and is much younger with more energy?

Wrong.... meacham started coaching in 1991, littrell in 2004. Littrell  hasn't recruited dfw since 2008. Tcu offense better than unc. Just  look at stats. Meacham has helped with 2 great offenses at 2 big 12 schools. Every he has been the offense has been great!....

In his first season at TCU, Meacham helped the Horned Frogs become the nation's most improved offense in total yards (+188.2 ypg) and scoring (+21.4 ppg). TCU's 21.4 points per game improvement broke the Big 12 record of 19.1 set by Oklahoma in 1999 

Meacham was a 2014 finalist for the Broyles Award, recognizing the nation's top assistant coach. 

Meacham's last six seasons in Stillwater. Oklahoma State was in the top five in the country in total offense in the 2010-12 campaigns, when it scored more than 50 points 15 times, broke the 60-point mark in seven contests, 70 points twice and the 80-point plateau once.

Meacham was instrumental in establishing a record-setting offense at Samford. He directed an attack in 2004 that set several school records, including passing yards (2,986), pass completions (256) and completion percentage (59.8).

Prior to Samford, Meacham worked the same kind of magic at Henderson State, where he was offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. During the 2000 season, Meacham coached an offense that broke two Division II national passing and receiving records, four Gulf South Conference marks and nine scho

Edited by mgfan
  • Downvote 1

littrell hasn't recruited dfw since 2008. Tcu offense better than unc. Just  look at stats. Meacham has helped with 2 great offenses at 2 big 12 schools.

In his first season at TCU, Meacham helped the Horned Frogs become the nation's most improved offense in total yards (+188.2 ypg) and scoring (+21.4 ppg). TCU's 21.4 points per game improvement broke the Big 12 record of 19.1 set by Oklahoma in 1999 

Meacham was a 2014 finalist for the Broyles Award, recognizing the nation's top assistant coach. 

f Meacham's last six seasons in Stillwater. Oklahoma State was in the top five in the country in total offense in the 2010-12 campaigns, when it scored more than 50 points 15 times, broke the 60-point mark in seven contests, 70 points twice and the 80-point plateau once.

Nice did I read Meacham is 57? Can he be fired up to come to UNT for another move if I have his age correct? Seems like his next move should be a P5 HC? 

I might break it all down tomorrow, Meacham won't break my heart either, I think the staffing will be absolutely key with either.  If we have an industrious board member a side by side break down would be wonderful.  

Nice did I read Meacham is 57? Can he be fired up to come to UNT for another move if I have his age correct? Seems like his next move should be a P5 HC? 

I might break it all down tomorrow, Meacham won't break my heart either, I think the staffing will be absolutely key with either.  If we have an industrious board member a side by side break down would be wonderful.  

This from wikipedia: December 16, 1964 (age 50).  So Meacham will be 51 in a little over 2 weeks.  Ah, to be 51 again.

• Upvote 1