Demikal Harrison Transferring

MeanGreenZen

It tears at my heart to see guys leave. At the same time, I can put myself in their shoes. With so many unknowns and still holding years of eligibility, you can't blame kids for doing what they think is in their best interest.

• Upvote 2

The only way this makes it in his best interest is if he plans to go down and be eligible immediately.  If not, the intelligent action is to talk to the new staff and get a feel where he stands and then make a decision.

I'm with you on this.  Why not wait until the new hire to make up your mind.  Maybe he's homesick.

I forget how it works when kids transfer. We still only get 25 new scholarships, right? What happens to Harrison's ship? Does it disappear or can it be awarded to a walk-on?

We get 25 scholarships per class, regardless. We also have a cap of 85 scholarships per team, so you hypothetically couldn't sign the full 25 if you had 70 returning scholarship players, because that would put you 10 over the limit of 85.

So now we're down to around 77 or 78 scholarship players, with about 15 or 16 scholarship seniors (haven't crunched the numbers in a while). So we're about 7 or 8 scholarships under the limit for the team, and will have about 15 or 16 opening up after the seniors play their last game against UTEP. So that means about 22-24 open scholarships available.

You can almost guarantee we'll have quite a few more players quit or transfer by the time the current high school seniors are enrolling and kicking in their scholarships. Basically this is just another scholarship opening up for what will be an inevitably full class.

I almost choked on my Powerade when I read this thread. Demikal Harrison did not leave the team on his own accord. Take my word for it when I say that this team is much better off without a wasted scholarship on him. I will not get into details as I feel like that should remain confidential out of respect for him and his family, but if you don't believe me, go on Twitter and see exactly how many of his teammates wished him luck or showed any type of remorse that he will no longer be a member of the team. PS he's been gone for weeks and so has another 2015 signee. (You'll probably be hearing about that one shortly also)

thanks for the intel!

• Upvote 4

I almost choked on my Powerade when I read this thread. Demikal Harrison did not leave the team on his own accord. Take my word for it when I say that this team is much better off without a wasted scholarship on him. I will not get into details as I feel like that should remain confidential out of respect for him and his family, but if you don't believe me, go on Twitter and see exactly how many of his teammates wished him luck or showed any type of remorse that he will no longer be a member of the team. PS he's been gone for weeks and so has another 2015 signee. (You'll probably be hearing about that one shortly also)

could you give us a hint on the other player? 

• Upvote 1

Harrison plays what has traditonally been our most difficult position to recruit, weighs more than 300 pounds, had more than 30 tackles for loss as a high school senior last year and was a Top 40 recruit out of OK. He also had other confirmed G5 offers, so I would have liked to have seen if he could have developed. But given that he couldn't get on the field as a true freshman on probably the worst defensive line in school history, it probably isn't a big loss.

• Upvote 1

no offense, but shouldn't you probably stay off a message board? Just looking out for you. 

Chumley?

his Twitter seems positive UNT, tweeting lifts, and workouts etc. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

no offense, but shouldn't you probably stay off a message board? Just looking out for you. 

his Twitter seems positive UNT, tweeting lifts, and workouts etc. 

No, I like that he's on here. Go get your buddies in here as well. Let them know that there is actually a diehard group of fans starving for success. 

PS. Happy Thanksgiving Folks! I hope it's a good one. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4