MGB breaking: Briles among those who have sent resume

Brett Vito

is any one else concerned that there is only two coordinators from P5 schools, not counting Tim Horton (because i dont think he will make the splash we need. There is no Norvell, no Riley, no Littrell, no Applewhite and no Fritz who have all been tops on or hope full lists. the rest of the people are no names that def wont make a splash 

rolling_eyes_neil_degrasse_tyson.gif

• Upvote 2

I like it. I think it is a good hire. However, like I have stated at least 5 times, if I am AD I want to know who he has in mind as his OC/DC. 

If you want an immediate influx of talent on the roster, this is the hire to make. He will recruit better than any HC that North Texas has ever had. Top recruiting classes lead to W's. This is a hire that will challenge Marshal for the top recruiting class in CUSA year in and year out. Marshal never has legitimate NFL caliber talent scattered throughout their roster. What Marshal does have is 3 star recruits littered all over their roster. They win because of the depth of talent they are able to bring in. They consistently sign 10-15 three stars every class. They signed 11 three stars last class. They have 14 three stars committed right now for the upcoming class. They are setup to be competitive in CUSA for the foreseeable future because of this. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Briles isn't my first choice but I can certainly see the good that him being named our head coach will bring.

The good will be the final nail in this athletic departments' coffin after it'll get out to the rest of Texas and the college world how dysfunctional it is, then maybe, just maybe someone in power will clean house?

The Briles name is as deeply rooted and is as highly respected in Texas Football as any name there is, dating back 41 years.  

Hire Kendal then ignore his team other than to whore it out, eff up the tickets of the donor's and season ticket holders he'll bring in,  misappropriate their matching donations and schedule his team to a 12 straight game season playing 7 on the road and we won't be able to se define the level of LAUGHING STOCK the rest of Texas will label us to.

Rick

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 8

I'm sorry but Briles sounds too much like Todd Dodge. Plus, I haven't seen any success that he has had that wasn't directly due to his daddy's help. 

Call me old school, but I would prefer someone who has gotten where he is by his own hand.....like Chris Thomsen. Thomsen has been a head coach in Texas and has been an assistant in the top catagory. He's obviously a hard worker and had very good success as a head coach with limited resources. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

Love the Baylor offense and if he could provide us a version of this here it would be awesome.  Also, his dad took the Houston job, back when Houston was similar to us.  So it would not surprise me if he could consider this as a way to elevate his resume as a head coach.  The key is to provide him quality experienced guys around him - which we did not do when Dodge was here..   

A rather disappointing list but of those listed, Jinks and Briles are the only Texas guys on there. Will Hall seems like a good coach but so is Colby Carthel and Carthel would be a much better choice because he is a Texas guy and knows the HS coaches here. The rest, hell to the naw naw.

• Upvote 2

I don't like the idea of hiring a coach who has been mentored his whole life by one of the best coaches out there. 

All programs had to take chances on every "great" coach. Briles is slightly risky, but given his pedigree I think it's a solid hire. We need talent people and this hire gives us that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

i know he is young but i think he would give this program a shot in the arm for sure. but he is experienced in the big moment he has been to more bowl games in his young career than our whole program has been in a 100 years... 

YearBowl
2001Holiday Bowl (player)
2002Cotton Bowl (player)
2005Fort Worth Bowl (player)
2006Liberty Bowl (student assistant)
2010Texas Bowl (assistant coach)
2011Alamo Bowl (assistant coach)
2012Holiday Bowl (passing game coordinator)
2014Fiesta Bowl (passing game coordinator)
2015Cotton Bowl (offensive coordinator)

tim horton scares me as a ricky v type hire tho 

• Upvote 2

I wish Vito would've given the entire list and not just "The following is a list of some of the top coaches who have submitted resumes for North Texas opening for a head coach." I want to see how many of our board posters applied.

I'm pissed he didn't list me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2