DRC: DaMarcus Smith turned corner after heated exchange with Canales

Brett Vito

That light could have come on twelve weeks ago if Mac had not played family-friends favoritism that absolutely blinded him, and plugged DaMarcus in.

I'm not sure anyone can refute that Mac stuck with the wrong DB-playing-QB, when he should have focused upon developing Mr. Smith.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure anyone can refute that Mac stuck with the wrong DB-playing-QB, when he should have focused upon developing Mr. Smith.

Both Smith and Canales said they had a come to Jesus meeting where it was explained to Smith he needed to do more, to actually do the little things needed to get the starting job. Both acknowledged that Smith started doing those things only two weeks ago. And both implied Smith had already been told he needed to do these things to start and he had not. It wasn't until the most recent conversation that Smith finally understood what he had been told and finally started to act on it. When Smith did the right things, he was given more of a chance. So the people refuting you idea are Smith and Canales in the DRC. 

We can only imagine what the season would have been like if Smith had started doing what he was asked during Fall camp instead of just two weeks ago.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 2

Both Smith and Canales said they had a come to Jesus meeting where it was explained to Smith he needed to do more, to actually do the little things needed to get the starting job. Both acknowledged that Smith started doing those things only two weeks ago. And both implied Smith had already been told he needed to do these things to start and he had not. It wasn't until the most recent conversation that Smith finally understood what he had been told and finally started to act on it. When Smith did the right things, he was given more of a chance. So the people refuting you idea are Smith and Canales in the DRC. 

We can only imagine what the season would have been like if Smith had started doing what he was asked during Fall camp instead of just two weeks ago.

Or he was biding his time and trying to be a good player and teammate and couldn't wait any longer after sitting so far behind Mini. 

I'd bet there's some truth to that story, but doubt it's the whole story of why he wasn't playing. Smith and Chico are still being kind to Mac.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Agreed 100%.  But it is worth observing that, during his radio, Coach Chico was saying how Marshall had never seen a QB like DaMarcus, and how he would give them problems.  Can you imagine his saying something like that about Andrew?

• Upvote 1

What I don't understand is why this "come to Jesus" meeting took so long to happen. Why didn't Canales approach him, earlier, and say, "hey, you want to play, this is what you have to do, meet me in the film room after practice." Are we to believe this was the case, and DSMith said no and just didn't do it? Seems like the egos of the coaching staff are detrimental to developing this roster. Not all these kids are going to go above and beyond on their own. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

What I don't understand is why this "come to Jesus" meeting took so long to happen. Why didn't Canales approach him, earlier, and say, "hey, you want to play, this is what you have to do, meet me in the film room after practice." Are we to believe this was the case, and DSMith said no and just didn't do it? Seems like the egos of the coaching staff are detrimental to developing this roster. Not all these kids are going to go above and beyond on their own. 

this

According to this article, it kinda sounds like Damarcus had another hurdle to clear in Chico himself.    As much as you and many others would like to blame McCarney's nepotism as 100% of the reason why Damarcus didn't start from day 1, I don't believe that to be true.

It's called narrative with a side of spin, and its something our AD excels at and Vito is nearly fully complicit in. Notice when the same lines about McNulty and Derek Thompson would endlessly be repeated by Vito? All the way up until a coaching and QB change is established? It's a continued through-line of narrative.

The folks I know who work in the AD have confirmed this to be true.

• Upvote 1

It's called narrative with a side of spin, and its something our AD excels at and Vito is nearly fully complicit in. Notice when the same lines about McNulty and Derek Thompson would endlessly be repeated by Vito? All the way up until a coaching and QB change is established? It's a continued through-line of narrative.

The AD was not the interviewee in this article.  Brett was publicly calling for Damarcus to get a shot several weeks ago.  Why would he "comply" to the AD's "spin" when he's been mucking it up already?

I'm certainly not saying there was no nepotism at all...  it was pretty obvious.   But regardless of who you are, if you miss Spring practice and all of the coaching that comes with it, you're behind the 8ball with an old-school dude like McCarney.  You're also behind the 8ball when trying to take Chico's paper tests that he values so much.

• Upvote 1

So it's a giant conspiracy on which not only Smith and Canales are participants, but Vito as well? Perhaps it is.

But I think it far more likely Smith and Canales told the truth to Vito and he simply reported what he was told. 

• Upvote 2

It's awful hard for Chico to tell DS that the only reason he's not starting is because of Mac when Mac is no longer involved in the decision therefore the come to Jesus meeting was much more intense this time around and I would bet real money that it was more truthful this time also.

The AD was not the interviewee in this article.  Brett was publicly calling for Damarcus to get a shot several weeks ago.  Why would he "comply" to the AD's "spin" when he's been mucking it up already?

I'm certainly not saying there was no nepotism at all...  it was pretty obvious.   But regardless of who you are, if you miss Spring practice and all of the coaching that comes with it, you're behind the 8ball with an old-school dude like McCarney.  You're also behind the 8ball when trying to take Chico's paper tests that he values so much.

Sorry, AD can be both Director and Department, and I meant the broader of the two with this usage.