DRC: DaMarcus Smith turned corner after heated exchange with Canales

Brett Vito

It's called narrative with a side of spin, and its something our AD excels at and Vito is nearly fully complicit in. Notice when the same lines about McNulty and Derek Thompson would endlessly be repeated by Vito? All the way up until a coaching and QB change is established? It's a continued through-line of narrative.

The folks I know who work in the AD have confirmed this to be true.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  And folks, if you don't understand the importance of a narrative, try having one, and then making do without one.

What I don't understand is why this "come to Jesus" meeting took so long to happen. Why didn't Canales approach him, earlier, and say, "hey, you want to play, this is what you have to do, meet me in the film room after practice." Are we to believe this was the case, and DSMith said no and just didn't do it? Seems like the egos of the coaching staff are detrimental to developing this roster. Not all these kids are going to go above and beyond on their own. 

You can't coach a player to be better if they don't care.  

How do you not believe its true?  Did you hear/read what Mac said about Smith after the USM game?  " He does have talent, but the attention to detail is something he needs to make major, major improvement on. If he does, then he has a chance to contend for the top spot. If he doesn’t, we will get what we saw the other night.”

That follows the same storyline of Mac talking to Smith after the game in which Smith to talk to Chico....  Lies never turn out this good.

• Upvote 1

What I don't understand is why this "come to Jesus" meeting took so long to happen. Why didn't Canales approach him, earlier, and say, "hey, you want to play, this is what you have to do, meet me in the film room after practice." Are we to believe this was the case, and DSMith said no and just didn't do it? Seems like the egos of the coaching staff are detrimental to developing this roster. Not all these kids are going to go above and beyond on their own. 

One of my favorite teachers ever once said to me, in a nutshell: Sometimes people gotta hit rock bottom before they'll ever start to figure things out.

• Upvote 1