Question about attendence

NorthTexan95

The crowd started out fairly decent. I'm not good estimating the numbers for crowd size, but folks were right when they said HC would draw a good crowd. Greek Life never made it in though...so odd...anyway. It took until almost halftime for the stadium to empty by about half. By the 4th quarter, it was me and about a dozen guys on the 50 of the student side and maybe 5 pockets of 10 or less around the stadium. I think the group I was with (and the band) was all that was left in the stands as the school song played after the game.

• Upvote 3

The crowd started out fairly decent. I'm not good estimating the numbers for crowd size, but folks were right when they said HC would draw a good crowd. Greek Life never made it in though...so odd...anyway. It took until almost halftime for the stadium to empty by about half. By the 4th quarter, it was me and about a dozen guys on the 50 of the student side and maybe 5 pockets of 10 or less around the stadium. I think the group I was with (and the band) was all that was left in the stands as the school song played after the game.

It was a sad sight watching Mac stand in the middle of his players facing the students during the school song.  

• Upvote 1

The official attendance was listed as just over 19,000 but they must have brought somebody in from SMU to come up with that number.    There were very few seats in our Club Level section that were being used.   Some people filtered in from the Hill during the first half but very few.   If there were more than 10,000 butts in seats I would be surprised.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

19 -20 k is a full 2/3s capacity, so as I drove past it looked pretty empty form what I could see in. Based on other games I was in stadium on it looked like maybe 1/2 total. So 14-15k would be my guess. 

One day we will be at capacity and have to accelerate our second phase and it will be loud. 

Since we know they count tickets sold, and student pickup, I would say the number was about right (official 19.8k).  The alumni side was pretty full plus a decent amount in the wing plus about 75% of a 'normal' student section at its peak.  As soon as PS starting scoring at will, the exodus was pretty quick.  As soon as the band finished playing, the student section vanished and the alumni section was not far behind.  I had nothing better to do so I stayed until the bitter end.

Edited by greenit

Since we know they count tickets sold, but student pickup, I would say the number was about right (official 19.8k).  The alumni side was pretty full plus a decent amount in the wing plus about 75% of a 'normal' student section at its peak.  As soon as PS starting scoring at will, the exodus was pretty quick.  As soon as the band finished playing, the student section vanished and the alumni section was not far behind.  I had nothing better to do so I stayed until the bitter end.

You need to get out more.

I had nothing better to do so I stayed until the bitter end.

I stayed just so I could say I stayed until the end.  It's pretty damn sad how often I have had to make that decision while following Mean Green Football.

Also, I this student attendance was way down, about 50% of normal.  Barely anyone sat close to the few PSU fans, there was almost no one in the second deck.   Alumni attendance was much higher than I expected, but then again it was HC and a lot of alumni make this one game a year if nothing else.

WKU attendance is going to be el terrible.  

• Upvote 3

I stayed just so I could say I stayed until the end.  It's pretty damn sad how often I have had to make that decision while following Mean Green Football.

Also, I this student attendance was way down, about 50% of normal.  Barely anyone sat close to the few PSU fans, there was almost no one in the second deck.   Alumni attendance was much higher than I expected, but then again it was HC and a lot of alumni make this one game a year if nothing else.

WKU attendance is going to be el terrible.  

I saw a lot of young folks on the alumni side so assumed a lot of them were students who did not want to sit in the sun.  Either way, I agree that there were less than normal sitting on the student side and there were more than I expected sitting in the alumni area.

With so many families in the wing, just under 20 thousand seems right. From club seats, I could see a lot of Greek organizations stayed on the hill during the game. Once our first possession of the second half didn't go anywhere with McNulty still at QB, we left. As we were on the service road approaching NT Blvd., we saw several hundred people in a huge tailgate event from which it appears that none went to the game.

Suddenly, Thursday night looks interesting. Hard to expect a win against WKU, but will be interesting to see if Canales can have the same impact that he did when he replaced Dodge. With a very short week to get ready, can he unlock the handcuffs that former coach Mac had on the offense? 

Suddenly, Thursday night looks interesting.

Agree 100% with this.  On the drive home I was fully planning to mail in my club tickets to Smatresk on Monday.  Now I am excited to see what this group of coaches can do with this team.

Full disclosure, I expect to get beat handily by WKU, they are a very good team.  This is also a very short week so no idea how many changes they can actually make for this game.  However, at this point ANYTHING is better than what we rolled out against PSU.  

I am excited to see who will rise to the challenge.

• Upvote 4

A wounded animal can be very dangerous! If I was Canales, I would try my best to show WKU as many things as possible that they haven't seen on film - even if I had to draw it up on a whiteboard during a timeout. Nothing to lose here, folks, and everything to gain. I know the conventional wisdom says there is no moral victory but being on the short end of a close game sounds pretty damned good to me today.

• Upvote 3

A wounded animal can be very dangerous! If I was Canales, I would try my best to show WKU as many things as possible that they haven't seen on film - even if I had to draw it up on a whiteboard during a timeout. Nothing to lose here, folks, and everything to gain. I know the conventional wisdom says there is no moral victory but being on the short end of a close game sounds pretty damned good to me today.

Cue Texas vs Oklahoma...

• Upvote 2

We sat and watch the students come over to the alumni side before the game started because of empty seats. Throw in the DISD students it looked good 10 minuted into the game before the exodus. I stayed for bitchin rights or maybe I have no life.....one of the other.