CougarsHouston Cougars
Gerald J. Ford Stadium, Dallas, TX
Lost 35-9---
Saturday
Dec. 6
Huskiesat Connecticut Huskies 
Rentschler Field, East Hartford, CT
Won 27-20---

It seems they had plenty of lopsided scores to remember from last year it could get confusing to remember.

Sunday
Aug. 31
Bearsat Baylor Bears 
McLane Stadium, Waco, TX
Lost 45-0---
Saturday
Sep. 6
Mean Greenat North Texas Mean Green 
Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX
Lost 43-6---
Saturday
Sep. 13
---Open Date------
Saturday
Sep. 20
AggiesTexas A&M Aggies 
Lost 58-6---
Saturday
Sep. 27
Horned FrogsTCU Horned Frogs 
Lost 56-0---
Saturday
Oct. 4
Piratesat East Carolina Pirates
Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, Greenville, NC
Lost 45-24---
Saturday
Oct. 11
---Open Date------
Saturday
Oct. 18
BearcatsCincinnati Bearcats 
Lost 41-3---
Saturday
Oct. 25
TigersMemphis Tigers
Lost 48-10---
Saturday
Nov. 1
---Open Date------
Saturday
Nov. 8
Hurricanesat Tulsa Golden Hurricane
H.A. Chapman Stadium, Tulsa, OK
Lost 38-28---
Saturday
Nov. 15
BullsUSF Bulls (HC)
Lost 14-13---
Saturday
Nov. 22
Knightsat UCF Knights
Bright House Networks Stadium, Orlando, FL
Lost 53-7---
Friday
Nov. 28
CougarsHouston Cougars
Lost 35-9---
Saturday
Dec. 6
Huskiesat Connecticut Huskies 
Rentschler Field, East Hartford, CT
Won 27-20---

It seems they had plenty of lopsided scores to remember from last year it could get confusing to remember.

SMU was probably the worst D1 team, that I ever saw last season. This year, they return those same bad players, besides a handful of freshmen, that were in high school 4 months ago. Chad Morris is a heck of a coach, but I can't see how Vegas makes them the favorite? Plus, this should be a 50/50 crowd, I don't get it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

SMU was probably the worst D1 team, that I ever saw last season. This year, they return those same bad players, besides a handful of freshmen, that were in high school 4 months ago. Chad Morris is a heck of a coach, but I can't see how Vegas makes them the favorite? Plus, this should be a 50/50 crowd, I don't get it.

If you ask the folks on ponyfans.com they had a very talented roster last year but June Jones was just mailing it in.  I readily admit that coaching makes a big difference, but I can't see that defense making a quantum leap in one season...two to three seasons, yep, but not overnight

This will not be a 50/50 crowd.

• Upvote 1

If you ask the folks on ponyfans.com they had a very talented roster last year but June Jones was just mailing it in.  I readily admit that coaching makes a big difference, but I can't see that defense making a quantum leap in one season...two to three seasons, yep, but not overnight

it's somewhere in the middle. We were not very talented last season but definitely more talented than what we showed. The players absolutely quit because June Jones quit. I don't think most outside of SMU know how truly bad the culture within the program had become under Jones. 

Jones didn't recruit, didn't coach and didn't motivate players his last two, maybe three years. It is criminal how he ended things at SMU. Fortunately, he did luck into several good players last season, but most were not played - QB Davis (sat on the bench behind a walkon for half the season), WR Sutton (injured in preseason - redshirted) and TE Gaines (simply not used) to name a few. And those who did play simply didn't give the effort because there was no accountability.

Chad Morris knew this coming in and gave all players a clean slate in the spring. Some stuck around and some didn't. We still have a long way to go to get where we want to be talent wise but the culture is in place. I have no idea how that will translate in wins this season but we will not lose from a lack of effort, or a solid game plan thanks to Chad Morris. 

• Upvote 2

they showed exactly that this past weekend 

Anyone know what the split was Saturday? Obviously the first game against #4 bring the masses...

it's somewhere in the middle. We were not very talented last season but definitely more talented than what we showed. The players absolutely quit because June Jones quit. I don't think most outside of SMU know how truly bad the culture within the program had become under Jones. 

Jones didn't recruit, didn't coach and didn't motivate players his last two, maybe three years. It is criminal how he ended things at SMU. Fortunately, he did luck into several good players last season, but most were not played - QB Davis (sat on the bench behind a walkon for half the season), WR Sutton (injured in preseason - redshirted) and TE Gaines (simply not used) to name a few. And those who did play simply didn't give the effort because there was no accountability.

Chad Morris knew this coming in and gave all players a clean slate in the spring. Some stuck around and some didn't. We still have a long way to go to get where we want to be talent wise but the culture is in place. I have no idea how that will translate in wins this season but we will not lose from a lack of effort, or a solid game plan thanks to Chad Morris. 

Any idea why Jones stopped caring? 

We went through that with Simon in the 90s. He started solid and just became down right weird and some thought hateful. The players still played their hearts out for each other, love of the game, and respect for their position coaches (who is the coach the players basically live with day in and out) even after they lost respect for the head coach. I'd wager to say SMU players felt the same way if their head coach retired on duty.

Edited by UNTexas

Anyone know what the split was Saturday? Obviously the first game against #4 bring the masses...

Any idea why Jones stopped caring? 

We went through that with Simon in the 90s. He started solid and just became down right weird and some thought hateful. The players still played their hearts out for each other, love of the game, and respect for their position coaches (who is the coach the players basically live with day in and out) even after they lost respect for the head coach. I'd wager to say SMU players felt the same way if their head coach retired on duty.

it all starting going downhill when he almost left to take the Arizona St job after the 2011 season. He informed SMU he was leaving then ASU pulled their offer. SMU let him return but things were never the same. A lot went on behind the scenes and by the end of the 2012 season he had completely checked out, his staff too. Put it this way, area golf courses got a lot of business from the SMU football coaching staff in 2013 & 2014. 

• Upvote 3

it all starting going downhill when he almost left to take the Arizona St job after the 2011 season. He informed SMU he was leaving then ASU pulled their offer. SMU let him return but things were never the same. A lot went on behind the scenes and by the end of the 2012 season he had completely checked out, his staff too. Put it this way, area golf courses got a lot of business from the SMU football coaching staff in 2013 & 2014. 

I totally forgot about that story. Yep, that would do it. Pretty crappy on ASU's part. SMU was too nice. He should have done the right thing and stayed resigned. No excuse for them to give up. Classless... 

Thanks for the info. 

• Upvote 1