Baylor vs. SMU Game Thread - 6pm ESPN

Harry

its interesting what you can see if you only look at the stats and aren't clouded by anything else.

not sure what you mean but Baylor averaged 8.1 yards per carry. That's insane. They got 300 yards rushing. Granted, Russell's 12.5 yards per pass is also insane. 

The ball can be moved against SMU. 

Edited by Aldo

The ball can be moved against SMU. 

1st down -- run up the middle against stacked box

2nd down -- run up the middle against stacked box

3rd down -- happy feet penguin dance imitation, failed screen pass

4th down -- punt/profit

After last season, I'll be very, very pleasantly surprised to see something other than this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I'm kinda wondering if we were watching the same game.  The game reminded me alot about the UNT VS GA game in 2013.  Once GA started getting their act together, they routed UNT.

The only thing I'm worried about with SMU is their QB play (although he had some accuracy problems) and our defense overpursuing their offensive misdirection.

Baylor's defense looked a little like the old Dodge defenses where tackling fundamentals were awful.  So much arm-tackling... there was even one dude who hurt his arm/shoulder because of his awful technique.  If Baylor's defense does not improve, they're not going to be anywhere near the top of the Big12.

Baylor also racked up 13 penalties for 105yds.  Their defensive misqueues (PI's & PF's) kept several stalled SMU drives going.

Once Baylor settled down, they put their foot on SMU's throat and SMU caved.  The clock mgmt while on the 2 yd line just before the half was just awful.  They should have tied the game there.

I still believe this is a lock win for UNT.

• Upvote 5

Sutton was really the main Smu offensive player that scared me.  That kid is a stud.  I think our D will be fine if we tackle well.  Baylor doesn't believe in fundamental tackling, instead relying on throwing their bodies at people trying for highlight reels.  Whether our offense moves the ball or not is going to come down to our oline.  Baylor returned one of the best in the nation, while we are mostly starting from scratch.  I didn't think Smu looked particularly physical, so hopefully we can set the tone with our physicality and force them into mistakes.

I stopped watching after Baylor stretched it past 20 and also flipped over to fury road. :)

Edited by TIgreen01

I don't know how much (or if) Baylor is worse on D than they were last season, but it is very clear that succesfully defending SMUs improved new offense is almost entierly dependent on succeeding at one on one tackling, and Baylor is failing badly in that department so far.

Remember Baylor had two defensive starters out for this game including All-American Oakman. They will play next week.

I was there and Matt Davis is the real deal. He is very slippery and is a true dual threat. No way we have the speed that SMU  showed. One thing if you waltz in five minutes to kick off like people do at Apogee forget about seeing the first quarter, as SMU  is completely unprepared for a crowd over 10K. After you get in the beer line will take you a quarter to get through. SMU will bring plenty of folks after what they saw last night. It was BU depth that finally wore them down on a warm, humid night. I hope for the best for UNT, but we must speed up the tempo to have any hope against SMU. I was very impressed with how their lines on both sides of the ball held their own against a much larger BU line.

• Upvote 1

I'm kinda wondering if we were watching the same game.  The game reminded me alot about the UNT VS GA game in 2013.  Once GA started getting their act together, they routed UNT.

The only thing I'm worried about with SMU is their QB play (although he had some accuracy problems) and our defense overpursuing their offensive misdirection.

Baylor's defense looked a little like the old Dodge defenses where tackling fundamentals were awful.  So much arm-tackling... there was even one dude who hurt his arm/shoulder because of his awful technique.  If Baylor's defense does not improve, they're not going to be anywhere near the top of the Big12.

Baylor also racked up 13 penalties for 105yds.  Their defensive misqueues (PI's & PF's) kept several stalled SMU drives going.

Once Baylor settled down, they put their foot on SMU's throat and SMU caved.  The clock mgmt while on the 2 yd line just before the half was just awful.  They should have tied the game there.

If you are not concerned because the game reminded you of the UNT vs GA game in 2013. Remind me of how UNT did in 2013.

• Upvote 2

This games reminds you of the Georgia game? THe game in which we had our best team in the last 11 years? Yet you think this is still a lock win for UNT?

Ok.

I think we end up in a dog fight and this thing is a 3 point game or less.

• Upvote 2

Yet much better than our starter. 

Some people are capable of seeing progress, and some aren't I guess. Our offense couldn't move the ball against a meh Texas team. Smu, was able to move the ball vs a ranked team better than we have this decade. So yeah, we are going to notice that. 

Ultimately it was one half of one game. We will see on the field. But I think SMU showed more skill than most of us anticipated. We will all be there cheering on our team next week regardless. These are just observations of one game. 

Did it occur to you that the SMU team that moved the ball against Baylor could not against us last year?  Do you not think we could see the same improvement in a year?

My concern is how UNT handles the game. Adjustments to game speed, penalties/false starts,defensive holding, etc.  Lots of teams are coming out flat the first game. MSU had their hands full with Western Michigan. TCU was in a fight with Minnesota. Stanford may lose to Northwestern. We have no idea who we are in a real game. SMU has some to like and a lot to work on. We are a total unknown, even to ourselves. The first week bye may be the 12th man for the Mustangs. It doesn't benefit the Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

If you are not concerned because the game reminded you of the UNT vs GA game in 2013. Remind me of how UNT did in 2013.

This games reminds you of the Georgia game? THe game in which we had our best team in the last 11 years? Yet you think this is still a lock win for UNT?

Ok.

I think we end up in a dog fight and this thing is a 3 point game or less.

You guys like bolded print?   Did you read the other stuff?   The part where I was talking about Georgia pulling away after getting settled down, and the reasons why I thought it was more of Baylor playing poorly rather than stellar SMU play?

And 90, I don't want to hear anything from you.  Every time someone brings up how we "gave Georgia a good game", you are quick to remind how UNT folded and got blown out... similarly to SMU... except SMU got whipped worse.

• Upvote 2

You guys like bolded print?   Did you read the other stuff?   The part where I was talking about Georgia pulling away after getting settled down, and the reasons why I thought it was more of Baylor playing poorly rather than stellar SMU play?

And 90, I don't want to hear anything from you.  Every time someone brings up how we "gave Georgia a good game", you are quick to remind how UNT folded and got blown out... similarly to SMU... except SMU got whipped worse.

right.

With our best team in 11 years. 

Get it?

• Upvote 1