I haven't watched the show because the presentation would drive me crazy. Just curious, do they show Saguaro Cactus in some of the scenes. Hollywood can't make any sort of movie about the old west without showing Saguaro cactus. Never mind that it's only native to Arizona....and not the northern part of Arizona. 

After the History Channel started showing all those ridiculous  "end of the world" shows, I started called it "The Histrionic Channel".

• Upvote 2

I haven't watched the show because the presentation would drive me crazy. Just curious, do they show Saguaro Cactus in some of the scenes. Hollywood can't make any sort of movie about the old west without showing Saguaro cactus. Never mind that it's only native to Arizona....and not the northern part of Arizona. 

After the History Channel started showing all those ridiculous  "end of the world" shows, I started called it "The Histrionic Channel".

​No Saguaros, but plenty of rocky, rough terrain, complete with canyons and other mountainous landmarks. 

I read they shot it in Durango, Mexico.  Probably because there's not enough space/land to shoot this kind of movie in Central Texas.

Yes to the cacti. You made a very good call assumption. Not exactly like the Tuscan area but there are a few scenes with not native anything. San Antonio area, Gonzalez, Goliad, Victoria are all straight desert with large mountains. It's pathetic all around. I can't watch it anymore. 

Edited by UNTexas

Agree that it should not be required watching for Texas History or taken as geographically accurate. Nonetheless, I DVRd the series and have been watching it for entertainment after a couple of Shiners.  The gratuitous blood and gore, along with the escapades of lovely "Emily West", are the hooks. If Emily was around today to produce the series she would have called it "Santa Ana's Last Stand".

• Upvote 1

This series is a total embarrassment.  No person interested in history at any level should watch this without several Shiners to help dull the pain created by this fantasy tail.  The History Channel should be totally ashamed of itself.

• Upvote 1

This series is a total embarrassment.  No person interested in history at any level should watch this without several Shiners to help dull the pain created by this fantasy tail.  The History Channel should be totally ashamed of itself.

​I don't care if something might not have fidelity to history.  Braveheart is a great flick, but that is not historically accurate at all.

The problem with Texas Rising isn't the history....it's that it was just a terribly written and acted show.

• Upvote 1

​I don't care if something might not have fidelity to history.  Braveheart is a great flick, but that is not historically accurate at all.

The problem with Texas Rising isn't the history....it's that it was just a terribly written and acted show.

But, if you think the history is anywhere near correct...you don't know Texas history.  The history part, in my opinion, is a disgrace.  

But, I certainly agree with you that it is also a" terribly written and acted show".  In my case, I could forgive the writing and acting IF the history was anywhere near correct.  Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

But, if you think the history is anywhere near correct...you don't know Texas history.  The history part, in my opinion, is a disgrace.  

But, I certainly agree with you that it is also a" terribly written and acted show".  In my case, I could forgive the writing and acting IF the history was anywhere near correct.  Just my opinion.

​I mean it's not a documentary.  If it's a documentary, then yeah be as accurate as you can be.  If it's a story set during a time period - give me an entertaining story.  Obviously both can occur.  Something like Schindler's List was very close to history, and a wonderful film.  There's also been pretty accurate films that weren't very good because they were too dry.

Were Mozart and Salieri enemies in real life?  There's no evidence of this...yet Amadeus is a fantastic film.  In a movie, or a TV show entertaining the viewer is the most important thing.  Texas Rising did not fail because of the bad history...it's just bad.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

This was so bad.

Yep....so bad in fact, that I stopped watching that piece of crap-ola series before the San Jacinto episode.  Glad I did.  The history was so far off as to be comical and the geography was even worse.  Makes me question everything the so-called History Channel does now.  Sad.  Used to love the History Channel.

Yep....so bad in fact, that I stopped watching that piece of crap-ola series before the San Jacinto episode.  Glad I did.  The history was so far off as to be comical and the geography was even worse.  Makes me question everything the so-called History Channel does now.  Sad.  Used to love the History Channel.

Geez, I don't know how you could quit watching before the climax at San Jacinto, where Emily works her magic. If you have it on DVR, I recommend that you break open a Shiner Family Reunion box, down two or three, and then watch it.