Help me promote Mean Green game days as a destination event

tcat75

Hey GMG,

I'm writing a story promoting Mean Green game days for the Denton Live magazine, looking at both the specific experience of attending a game and the atmosphere provided by Denton as a city. That's something you guys represent and can explain really well, so I was hoping to chat with a few people who actively attend games (Denton residents or not) tonight or in the next few days. All it will take is five minutes on the phone.

If you can drop me a pm if you're interested and available I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks to those who got in touch and messaged me about this, I got everything I needed.

Does Denton provide any atmosphere for our game day?

More to the point, does Denton even know when we have a game going on?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

The way the Iranian government is coming around on Christianity, maybe.

C'mon, man. You were at Eastside with me before the last game this past year. It was going pretty good. I went back after the game, and it was full of people who'd attended the game and were making Denton revelry in the square well into the night.

If you've ever gone to Eastside to watch a road game, you'd be surprised how many people show up to those too.

Maybe we're not to the point of downtown parades every other week attended by throngs of adoring fans tens of thousands strong, throwing various undergarments about in moist anticipation, but a solid conglomeration of businesses on and around the square have made a concerted effort to improve things.

• Upvote 2

Based on the original comment in the thread, it appears some Denton businesses are spending their money to create promotional material to make Denton more of a destination on game days.

Why is that so hard for many of you to recognize?

Acknowledging recent developments and activities downtown that directly support the game day environment (including, but not limited to purchasing the near entirety of the newly "banned" student section and busing people in) make it really hard to perpetually bitch about our culture, history, Denton City Council, and that jackass in the AD office.

• Upvote 2

C'mon, man. You were at Eastside with me before the last game this past year. It was going pretty good. I went back after the game, and it was full of people who'd attended the game and were making Denton revelry in the square well into the night.

If you've ever gone to Eastside to watch a road game, you'd be surprised how many people show up to those too.

Maybe we're not to the point of downtown parades every other week attended by throngs of adoring fans tens of thousands strong, throwing various undergarments about in moist anticipation, but a solid conglomeration of businesses on and around the square have made a concerted effort to improve things.

We showed up to East Side last year for the UNT-UT game. We were there about 30 min before kickoff. Forget about sitting inside. The deck was full, and the tables out back were already filling.

Heckuva place to watch a UNT game.

If something crazy would have happened in that game, the place would have been electric. Instead, you could tell everyone there were UNT fans as the place felt completely deflated...

We showed up to East Side last year for the UNT-UT game. We were there about 30 min before kickoff. Forget about sitting inside. The deck was full, and the tables out back were already filling.

Heckuva place to watch a UNT game.

If something crazy would have happened in that game, the place would have been electric. Instead, you could tell everyone there were UNT fans as the place felt completely deflated...

I was there for a couple road games in 2013 that we actually won, and it went nuts in there.

• Upvote 1

Acknowledging recent developments and activities downtown that directly support the game day environment (including, but not limited to purchasing the near entirety of the newly "banned" student section and busing people in) make it really hard to perpetually bitch about our culture, history, Denton City Council, and that jackass in the AD office.

Nah, you can recognize progress and still be critical. In fact, I would argue that you should do both. 100% Pollyanna cheerleaders and 100% sourpuss are in equal measures wrong and detrimental to our shared cause.

Eastside has been mentioned, Oak Street Draft House has printed special tee's and sponsored sections, Beth Marie's has been involved for years, a new UNT themed sports bar, Muddy Jake's, just opened, a spirit shop, Barefoot, has been open for a while and a number of other establishments openly support North Texas or have alumni as owners all in the downtown area. Getting the A-Train on board with the free shuttle is just adds to it all.

• Upvote 1

You worked in downtown a Fort Worth for a while. Friday before Gameday there was a TCU banner attached to every lighpole downtown.

Just because 100 or so people gather at a tavern to watch a game doesn't mean the city of Denton is "coming around" on UNT.

Actions, my friend, actions.

Just to be clear, I'm talking official support from the City of Denton, not local businesses.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

And John Williams is now on the board of Hickory Street Development, and I believe sits on the Chamber of Commerce.

That's one person, albeit a very good one when it comes to UNT Athletics.

Hopefully he can persuade other members of the city government to view UNT as more than just a commuter school.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Just to be clear, I'm talking official support from the City of Denton, not local businesses.

Hey all the street signs are green...

As far as local support goes, yeah the bars downtown are always packed with people when the games are broadcast. Post-home game, good luck finding a place to park downtown.