UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

They ARE opportunity games and every coach who has ever stepped on a field not named Dickey has thought of them that way. Not sure what your point is other than to suggest we puss out in trying to bring in a name opponent to Denton?

We're talking football here. Not what color heels to wear to Burning Man 2015.

Rick

I just don't have the stomach for a home money game. Since 2001 I don't believe we've won one game against anyone in the Top 50. Cincinnati might be the "best" school we've beat in the last 15 years. Our only P5 wins have been against Baylor (2003) and Indiana (2011).

I love how you are championing a 45-21 loss. I know you are well aware there are four quarters to a game and playing someone close for three still gets you nothing but a big, fat "L".

I've seen way too many seasons where everyone gets excited only to get brought back down to Earth in a giant, flaming ball. It happens almost every year without fail. Until we take a team like Georgia down to the final seconds of the game on the road will playing anyone of that caliber interest me for a home game. I've had my hopes up way too many times to be brought down by massive disappointment.

Schedule for success by ditching the P5 schools and gimme gimme gimme all the G5 schools (including those evil SBC schools we so love to put down) as future opponents because that's who we can beat right now.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You're right every P5 has a game against BYE. We just happen to open the season with them. :thumbsu:

My view on scheduling at home is a little different. I don't know that we always need a game against the p5, but I would sure love to see a 6 game slate filled out with the likes of Colorado St., UNLV, Texas St., New Mexico, Tulsa, ULALA, Ark. St., etc.

At least we're not opening with one this season, which is about the only positive I can say about that schedule. We need to build a little confidence with an early win or two before playing the college football factories of the world.

• Upvote 1

Until we take a team like Georgia down to the final seconds of the game on the road will playing anyone of that caliber interest me for a home game. .

These kind of statements make me wonder if you really understand how college football works.

You are fine with P5 ass kickings as long as they happen on the road.

Shakes head and walks away.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

At least we're not opening with one this season, which is about the only positive I can say about that schedule. We need to build a little confidence with an early win or two before playing the college football factories of the world.

And the way to build confidence is by playing 2 whore games while playing 5 home games without a buy?

Jeez...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

A few observations.

1. If you don't think Mac has a say in scheduling, you are either blind, stupid, ignorant or all three.

2. Some of you touting our peers for scheduling 2 for 1's with P5 schools are some of the same that are bitching about 5 game home schedules. FYI, 2 for 1's lead to 5 game home schedules down the road.

3. Stating RV had nothing to do with Apogee getting built is ridiculous. You can't fault the man for failures in his department and not credit him for the successes.

4. You all forget that he secured the naming rights for Apogee, the naming rights for the pressbox/club area from Chubb, a large donation from Mattress Mac although he was held public hostage to name the practice fields after a coach with losing record to secure the donation. In reality, that was a political play by Dickey's Houston buddy because the donation was already given. He also secured the donation for the basketball practice facility.

5. You can fairly point out his shortcomings in some of his hires such as Dodge, Benford, Stephens and Peterson, but you must credit him for Mac, Key, Lama, Stracke, Bray and the previous Swimming and Diving coach.

UNT90 can call me a sunshine pumper and Ben Gooding can go on a profanity laced tirade/response, it doesn't really matter to me. Point being, you can't just find fault in the man without playing fair a at least acknowledging his accomplishments which, like it or not, are greater than any other AD in our past. Are his hands tied by the BOR? I don't know for sure and neither do the majority of us that are not privy to what goes on behind closed doors. The sad thing to me is the fact that Darrell "our fan's are MoFo's" Dickey has a facility named after him while someone as special and successful as Odus Mitchell has nothing to honor him.

Again, Rv is far from perfect, but he also isn't the incompetent fool many of you make him out to be.

• Upvote 5

These kind of statements make me wonder if you really understand how college football works.

So how does it work! Sunshine?

Regarding your last statement, we should be so lucky.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'd rather those be on the road because I have the choice to not go and I don't have to pay a premium in my season tickets but in the grand scheme of things I hate those types of games as well. If we were to somehow get someone like Oklahoma State or Georgia at home I'd expect the ticket prices to be higher for that game due to caliber of the opponent. Like I said, if I know we don't stand a chance, I will sell my tickets to someone (most likely an away fan just to make a point) for more than face value so that I could make a little coin off the game.

My seats are on the north 45 yard line in the 200 section. I have no doubts I could sell those tickets to someone that wanted them.

Perhaps the funniest thing about all this is that the people railing for a guaranteed home loss against someone like OSU would also be the ones that get on the board during or after the game and complain about something, whether it be the loss itself or some other meaningless thing from that night. It is this thread that I would bookmark and point to while saying "This! This is what everyone wanted. Everyone wanted to play a P5 school like this and this is what we got -- a huge humiliating loss in front of our home crowd." I can make this prediction with absolute certainty because we've done nothing to show we are competitive with schools like OSU in the last 15 years.

• Upvote 2

1) excuse, see 3

2) we have had 2 five game home schedules in the last 4 years WITHOUT ANY 2 FOR 1S!! How bad is RV at scheduling!!

3) agree

4) stop rambling

5) Mac is far from a decided success, the other non-revenue sports hires really don't matter.

You are a sunshine pumper. All of RVs accomplishments are 3 years or more in the rear view mirror. This is a what have you done for me lately business, and the last 3 years have been terrible for the AD (both the Benford and the Peterson hire, blaming players instead if taking responsibility for a mistake, lying by omission about the football schedule).

Being more successful than the crappiest if UNT ADs really shouldn't be the measure stick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

A few observations.

1. If you don't think Mac has a say in scheduling, you are either blind, stupid, ignorant or all three.

2. Some of you touting our peers for scheduling 2 for 1's with P5 schools are some of the same that are bitching about 5 game home schedules. FYI, 2 for 1's lead to 5 game home schedules down the road.

3. Stating RV had nothing to do with Apogee getting built is ridiculous. You can't fault the man for failures in his department and not credit him for the successes.

4. You all forget that he secured the naming rights for Apogee, the naming rights for the pressbox/club area from Chubb, a large donation from Mattress Mac although he was held public hostage to name the practice fields after a coach with losing record to secure the donation. In reality, that was a political play by Dickey's Houston buddy because the donation was already given. He also secured the donation for the basketball practice facility.

5. You can fairly point out his shortcomings in some of his hires such as Dodge, Benford, Stephens and Peterson, but you must credit him for Mac, Key, Lama, Stracke, Bray and the previous Swimming and Diving coach.

UNT90 can call me a sunshine pumper and Ben Gooding can go on a profanity laced tirade/response, it doesn't really matter to me. Point being, you can't just find fault in the man without playing fair a at least acknowledging his accomplishments which, like it or not, are greater than any other AD in our past. Are his hands tied by the BOR? I don't know for sure and neither do the majority of us that are not privy to what goes on behind closed doors. The sad thing to me is the fact that Darrell "our fan's are MoFo's" Dickey has a facility named after him while someone as special and successful as Odus Mitchell has nothing to honor him.

Again, Rv is far from perfect, but he also isn't the incompetent fool many of you make him out to be.

Didn't a mattress salesman basically have us in a headlock on that one?

1) excuse, see 3

2) we have had 2 five game home schedules in the last 4 years WITHOUT ANY 2 FOR 1S!! How bad is RV at scheduling!!

3) agree

4) stop rambling

5) Mac is far from a decided success, the other non-revenue sports hires really don't matter.

You are a sunshine pumper. All of RVs accomplishments are 3 years or more in the rear view mirror. This is a what have you done for me lately business, and the last 3 years have been terrible for the AD (both the Benford and the Peterson hire, blaming players instead if taking responsibility for a mistake, lying by omission about the football schedule).

Being more successful than the crappiest if UNT ADs really shouldn't be the measure stick.

But that is the measuring stick around here...for everything.

RV...not Helwig

Mac...not Dodge

Ask (most) anyone about their first car and they'll say two things 1) It wasn't a great car but 2) It beat walking. Now, ask them if they'd willingly go back to driving it.

1) excuse, see 3

3) agree

4) stop rambling

And I expected nothing less from you in your reply.

1. Not an excuse, the truth.

2. Rv hasn't done a good job scheduling, but that wasn't my point. The point is some of you complaining about scheduling are touting 2 for 1deals and they are not the answer either.

4. Rambling? Only if he refuse to acknowledge these accomplishments.

5. Do the athletes that represent UNT in these sports matter? Do championships in these sports matter? I know what you are trying to say, but discrediting these sports, coaches and athletes that represent our university is ridiculous and shmeful.

I am not a sunshine pumper because there are thkngs I am unhappy with, but I will give credit where credit is due...something you refuse to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But that is the measuring stick around here...for everything.

RV...not Helwig

Mac...not Dodge

Ask (most) anyone about their first car and they'll say two things 1) It wasn't a great car but 2) It beat walking. Now, ask them if they'd willingly go back to driving it.

I loved my 1988 Ford F150. Yeah the color was awful (green and tan) but it was a fun truck to drive. It had a straight V6 engine with a 4 speed manual transmission, dual gas tanks, and a full sized box.

1) you want to give RV credit for 3, but claim HIS EMPLOYEE tells him what to do in the schedule? Seriously?

2) there is no need to discuss 2 for 1s when your AD is so terrible at scheduling that he gets you 2 five home game seasons in 4 years WITHOUT ANY 2 FOR 1S IN THE SCHEDULE!

4) those happened a decade ago.

5) the athletes do, but ADs are never judged on these sports, like it or not.

It is really sad just how low the bar is around here. No wonder Junior is taking in some SMU games.

• Upvote 1

I just don't have the stomach for a home money game. Since 2001 I don't believe we've won one game against anyone in the Top 50. Cincinnati might be the "best" school we've beat in the last 15 years. Our only P5 wins have been against Baylor (2003) and Indiana (2011).

I love how you are championing a 45-21 loss. I know you are well aware there are four quarters to a game and playing someone close for three still gets you nothing but a big, fat "L".

I've seen way too many seasons where everyone gets excited only to get brought back down to Earth in a giant, flaming ball. It happens almost every year without fail. Until we take a team like Georgia down to the final seconds of the game on the road will playing anyone of that caliber interest me for a home game. I've had my hopes up way too many times to be brought down by massive disappointment.

Schedule for success by ditching the P5 schools and gimme gimme gimme all the G5 schools (including those evil SBC schools we so love to put down) as future opponents because that's who we can beat right now.

Sure you got the stomach for it. You go to the basketball games don't ya?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sure you got the stomach for it. You go to the basketball games don't ya?

Rick

I only go to games on the weekends. I'm not wasting an hour of my life on I-35E in heavy traffic to watch the team most likely lose. I won't see us lose to UAB on Thursday and I'm out of town this weekend and won't see what will also likely be a loss to MTSU. Funny you mention that because I don't recall seeing you at any of the men's or women's games.

Rick, I have said it too many times not to repeat what I will do with my tickets if we schedule a guaranteed loss at home with a Top 50 P5 school.

A few observations.

4. You all forget that he secured the naming rights for Apogee, the naming rights for the pressbox/club area from Chubb, a large donation from Mattress Mac although he was held public hostage to name the practice fields after a coach with losing record to secure the donation. In reality, that was a political play by Dickey's Houston buddy because the donation was already given..

The university hired an outside agency to find a donor for the naming rights. The agency then simply suggested we approach a company that was already on campus and had been for several years.

The Buick acquired Mac's donation through their personal relationship, not through RV.

Rick

I only go to games on the weekends. I'm not wasting an hour of my life on I-35E in heavy traffic to watch the team most likely lose. I won't see us lose to UAB on Thursday and I'm out of town this weekend and won't see what will also likely be a loss to MTSU. Funny you mention that because I don't recall seeing you at any of the men's or women's games.

Rick, I have said it too many times not to repeat what I will do with my tickets if we schedule a guaranteed loss at home with a Top 50 P5 school.

Yup, I'm about to accomplish a FirefightnRick first. Im one of only a handful of Mean Green fans to attend both of the only two NCAA tournament games in our history. But I'm so sick over how this ship is running aground that for the first time since 1986 I'm about to go a full 12 months without stepping foot into the Super Pit. I won't be a part of the clapping-seal's whose attendance gives the impression that things are just fine, and that Im fine with the losing and low expectations. I won't do it. So I don't.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So now because I support my university and the kids that play for it, I am a clapping seal. You guys are classic. I understand complaining about scheduling, coaching, marketing etc. But to call diehard fans names is beyond me.

Maybe if you showed up, you would see a team that plays really hard, that lacks a true point guard (and before it is pointed out, I know who forgot to recruit a point guard), but on any given night can beat anybody in this league. If you don't believe me, then just ask La. tech.

• Upvote 5

So now because I support my university and the kids that play for it, I am a clapping seal. You guys are classic. I understand complaining about scheduling, coaching, marketing etc. But to call diehard fans names is beyond me.

Maybe if you showed up, you would see a team that plays really hard, that lacks a true point guard (and before it is pointed out, I know who forgot to recruit a point guard), but on any given night can beat anybody in this league. If you don't believe me, then just ask La. tech.

No one should bash people for going to games, and no one should bash people for saying "no thanks" to a degredated product with a terrible head coach.

For me, it just hasn't worth the effort to drive from Fort Worth after work to see a poorly coached team play basketball. Hasn't been for a couple of years. Do I think my non-attendance sends some type of message to the AD? No. Do I think if 1000 other people feel the same way I do, that that should send a message to the AD? Of course. And I'm sure it does/would.

Mainly, I hope it sends a message to big donors like you that this experiment (at a time when we REALLY couldn't afford an experiment) needs to end and that the AD who keeps telling you this is all the players fault is full of crap.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

They also can (and often do) lose to anyone in this league and those on leagues below ours. The troubling thing to me is the number of diehards that just stopped going to games.
  • Upvote 2

I'll take them off your hands, though not above for value unless it's the Florida Gators.

Yep. So will I.

And so will some alums that haven't been to a game in 20 years, although I can't promise they will be rooting for UNT.

Edited by UNT90

Yep. So will I.

And so will some alums that haven't been to a game in 20 years, although I can't promise they will be rooting for UNT.

If that day ever came to pass I might have to wear my Gators colors and drink out of a Mean Green coozy while reveling in watching both teams and praying no one gets hurt. No promises, but I would probably end up cheering on every play no matter what happened.