UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

if there's no main event featuring UNT90, then there's no way this fight night is legit.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a royal rumble with multiple cages or something...

Fights already on the card:

Brett Vito v BillySee58

Andrew v Ben Gooding

KRAM1 v Silver Eagle v that coach who rushed him in the stands

• Upvote 2

if there's no main event featuring UNT90, then there's no way this fight night is legit.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a royal rumble with multiple cages or something...

Brett Vito v BillySee58

Andrew v Ben Gooding

The answer is obvious.

UNT90 vs. RV

• Upvote 7

Not to defend RV's scheduling, but there are now 12 FBS level football schools in Texas (7 of those being G5 schools). Have any of you compared our home OOC schedule's with our Texas based G5 peers?

UTSA, UTEP and SMU are the only ones that consistently bring in attractive OOC opponents. For the life of me, I don't get how SMU does it, but I imagine their downtown location and proximity to the DISD football factories plays a large part. I think more than anything else, Jerry World opening up and hosting 5+ P5 showcase games a year (right in the middle of the season) plus our refusal to schedule a home game there hurts our ability to schedule regional P5 teams. TCU returning to prominence and rejoining the P5 elite hasn't helped much either. The big boys would rather just play at Jerry World, and Big 12 teams can play in Ft. Worth. Then you've got UTSA. They probably looked like a plump opportunity for an easy win in a big stadium in a town that didn't have much competition to most of the teams that have scheduled them.

You can't compare us to most of our CUSA brethren who are located out in the middle of nowhere, or in states with only one or two other FBS football schools. Texas has too many FBS teams. If you are a P5 school, you can really only schedule one true away OOC games a year, and you want to come to the state of Texas without getting killed---you now have 7 choices (6 if you throw out UTEP and focus on just Houston, DFW and SA).

This is also why it was so critical that we got into CUSA. At least we have some attractive conference games that our fans have heard of. Go take a look at Texas St's entire schedule if you want to see what could have been. If you want to compare us to anyone, compare us to them. They have a major big boy on one side of the road (Texas) and a G5 in a slightly better conference, but infinitely better location (UTSA) on the other. We have TCU (big boy), SMU (slightly better AAC affiliation) and Jerry World. Here, I'll help: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sun-belt/texas-state-bobcats.php

Will this just get blasted as an excuse? Absolutely....but carry on, anyways.

Brett Vito v BillySee58

Andrew v Ben Gooding

I was wondering when this thread would take a Jr. Hi turn.

Not to defend RV's scheduling, but there are now 12 FBS level football schools in Texas (7 of those being G5 schools). Have any of you compared our home OOC schedule's with our Texas based G5 peers?

UTSA, UTEP and SMU are the only ones that consistently bring in attractive OOC opponents. For the life of me, I don't get how SMU does it, but I imagine their downtown location and proximity to the DISD football factories plays a large part. I think more than anything else, Jerry World opening up and hosting 5+ P5 showcase games a year (right in the middle of the season) plus our refusal to schedule a home game there hurts our ability to schedule regional P5 teams. TCU returning to prominence and rejoining the P5 elite hasn't helped much either. The big boys would rather just play at Jerry World, and Big 12 teams can play in Ft. Worth. Then you've got UTSA. They probably looked like a plump opportunity for an easy win in a big stadium in a town that didn't have much competition to most of the teams that have scheduled them.

You can't compare us to most of our CUSA brethren who are located out in the middle of nowhere, or in states with only one or two other FBS football schools. Texas has too many FBS teams. If you are a P5 school, you can really only schedule one true away OOC games a year, and you want to come to the state of Texas without getting killed---you now have 7 choices (6 if you throw out UTEP and focus on just Houston, DFW and SA).

This is also why it was so critical that we got into CUSA. At least we have some attractive conference games that our fans have heard of. Go take a look at Texas St's entire schedule if you want to see what could have been. If you want to compare us to anyone, compare us to them. They have a major big boy on one side of the road (Texas) and a G5 in a slightly better conference, but infinitely better location (UTSA) on the other. We have TCU (big boy), SMU (slightly better AAC affiliation) and Jerry World. Here, I'll help: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sun-belt/texas-state-bobcats.php

Will this just get blasted as an excuse? Absolutely....but carry on, anyways.

Yes, it will.

Texas Tech is playing at Texas St.

Your excuse... I mean theory, just imploded.

Yes, it will.

Texas Tech is playing at Texas St.

Your excuse... I mean theory, just imploded.

When? I saw a past 2-for-1 starting in 2011 but I don't see anything currently scheduled between those two schools.

Meant to say played.

Still imploded.

Since you love to find schools that play these P5 "name" schools, are you in favor or North Texas scheduling 2-for-1 deals even if it means we still end up with five home game seasons?

Since you love to find schools that play these P5 "name" schools, are you in favor or North Texas scheduling 2-for-1 deals even if it means we still end up with five home game seasons?

Well, imagine this...

Imagine UNT playing at Iowa and then playing at Iowa again. Now, imagine Iowa not playing in Denton, ever. Then, imagine us having 5 home games this year. So, your imagination should have us playing at Iowa twice while having at least one 5 home game season in that span. So in other words, what you are asking is already happening except for the "1" on that 2-for-**1**.

So, yes, I am in favor of well thought out 2-for-1's. I would even be willing to bet we could, with a competent AD of course, schedule 2-for-1's while ALSO having 6 home games. Crazy, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We have multiple 5 home game seasons without bringing in quality home OOC games...

I'm asking RV to be as good at scheduling as the AD for USA... Or Ark. St... or Old Dominion.

He hasn't been and when on with Harry, showed no indication of wanting to be as good as these ADs at scheduling.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Meant to say played.

Still imploded.

Give me a break. So, in the PAST, they played Texas Tech at home. Once. Great. We have played them in the past as well. Look at their schedule for the next few years. It looks about like ours, with the exception that they have a long running series with just UTSA, while we have SMU and Army. Then they have to play a Sun Belt schedule while we play CUSA.

I've said this before, but if your goal is to push RV out the door, focus solely on UNT's win/loss records for the past 10 years. The rest of this stuff that you harp on is just too subjective, and sometimes truly out of his control---whether you want to believe it or not.

We have multiple 5 home game seasons without bringing in quality home OOC games...

I'm asking RV to be as good at scheduling as the AD for USA... Or Ark. St... or Old Dominion.

He hasn't been and when on with Harry, showed no indication of wanting to be as good as these ADs at scheduling.

I'm just asking if you'd be in favor of 2-for-1 games if it mean bringing in a "quality OOC game." Are you in favor of such an arrangement?

Well, imagine this...

Imagine UNT playing at Iowa and then playing at Iowa again. Now, imagine Iowa not playing in Denton, ever. Then, imagine us having 5 home games this year. So, your imagination should have us playing at Iowa twice while having at least one 5 home game season in that span. So in other words, what you are asking is already happening except for the "1" on that 2-for-**1**.

So, yes, I am in favor of well thought out 2-for-1's. I would even be willing to bet we could, with a competent AD of course, schedule 2-for-1's while ALSO having 6 home games. Crazy, right?

I'm not excited about the game by any means. I would have been slightly happier then I am now had it been a 2-for-1. I really wondered what the flip happened that allowed us to sign for that series.

Give me a break. So, in the PAST, they played Texas Tech at home. Once. Great. We have played them in the past as well. Look at their schedule for the next few years. It looks about like ours, with the exception that they have a long running series with just UTSA, while we have SMU and Army. Then they have to play a Sun Belt schedule while we play CUSA.

I've said this before, but if your goal is to push RV out the door, focus solely on UNT's win/loss records for the past 10 years. The rest of this stuff that you harp on is just too subjective, and sometimes truly out of his control---whether you want to believe it or not.

The schedule is ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY in his control and is a DIRECT RESULT of his planning and negotiating skills, whether you know enough to/want to admit it or not.

Forget the teams he doesn't bring in and focus only on the two 5 home games seasons in four years WHILE BUYING A HOME GAME IN EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE YEARS! Because he HAD TO buy a home game EVERY one of those years to avoid two more 5 home game and two more FOUR HOME GAME SEASONS!!

It's lazy, it's wasteful, and at an institution that cared about athletics, this alone would cost his employment.

But UNT isn't that institution.

Keep on ignoring problems because you like the guy and UNT will keep on being the same ole UNT, pal.

That's right, I palled ya...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm just asking if you'd be in favor of 2-for-1 games if it mean bringing in a "quality OOC game." Are you in favor of such an arrangement?

And don't forget, you will be giving up the $2million for the 2 away games in exchange for that 1 home game. You are essentially getting a H/H, plus paying the penalty of playing one additional away game for no $'s. Your option will be to have 5 home games that year, or buy a home game (with no offsetting income from away game).

Starting in 2016 UTSA will be looking at having to buy home games 3 out of 4 years (with no revenue from payday game to offset), or be faced with 5 home games. They went the 2 for 1 route with several teams in order to launch the program, but will be paying the price soon.

The best case scenario is to not play the payday game at all, and just schedule H/H with whoever will agree to it. The issue is, we have to figure out a way to replace the net ~$500k or so we receive by playing in a payday game/buying a game.

The options seem to be, ask the university to cover the cost, ask the students to pay for it, raise more MGC contributions.

• Upvote 1

The schedule is ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY in his control and is a DIRECT RESULT of his planning and negotiating skills, whether you know enough to/want to admit it or not.

Forget the teams he doesn't bring in and focus only on the two 5 home games seasons in four years WHILE BUYING A HOME GAME IN EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE YEARS! Because he HAD TO buy a home game EVERY one of those years to avoid two more 5 home game and two more FOUR HOME GAME SEASONS!!

It's lazy, it's wasteful, and at an institution that cared about athletics, this alone would cost his employment.

But UNT isn't that institution.

Keep on ignoring problems because you like the guy and UNT will keep on being the same ole UNT, pal.

That's right, I palled ya...

As much as I might want to agree with people being combative with you.... How anyone can argue this post is beyond me.

5 home games for the 2nd time now... In beautiful Apogee stadium... In the hot bed of Texas recruiting...

This beautiful stadium was built to revitalize recruiting, revitalize scheduling, revitalize the whole damn program. It's accomplished none of the three to date. Hell... We're not even getting to enjoy it 6 times a year consistently!

Argue all you want about how much credit RV should get for getting the damn thing built... The results since it's glorious unveiling could and probably would have been achieved at FOUTS.

That's the (Football) failure that I can't get my head around people forgiving an AD for.

• Upvote 7