UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

I'm just asking if you'd be in favor of 2-for-1 games if it mean bringing in a "quality OOC game." Are you in favor of such an arrangement?

There is no reason to do a 2 for 1.

Arkansas St did a one and one with freaking Mizzou.

USA has a one and one with Miss St.

I'll ask you a question. Should this AD be able to schedule as well or better than a team in Jonosboro or where ever the hell USA is located? Teams that play in the freaking Sun Belt Conference?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

For the last time. THE MEAN GREEN CLUB FUNDS STUDENT ATHLETE SCHOLARSHIPS,......period. Raising mgc memberships is going to be vital for the new "stipend" that is around the corner.

Mgc money does not buy football games, or pay coaches salaries, etc.

And make no mistake fouts field = still in sunbelt, so no the same thing would not be accomplished in fouts.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

And make no mistake fouts field = still in sunbelt, so no the same thing would not be accomplished in fouts.

Baloney. CUSA has proved themselves a most desperate host since the time of our arrival. I will agree that the CUSA announcement wouldn't have been as grand had it been held in the Fout's Upper levels. So there's that.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1

No offense, and I'd rather us win in those sports than lose, but nobody cares about either of those sports, except for the friends and family of the players.

While this may generally be true, I will tell you the soccer program has a group of dedicated fans without family ties to the team. Just for the record.

There is no reason to do a 2 for 1.

Arkansas St did a one and one with freaking Mizzou.

USA has a one and one with Miss St.

I'll ask you a question. Should this AD be able to schedule as well or better than a team in Jonosboro or where ever the hell USA is located? Teams that play in the freaking Sun Belt Conference?

The series between Mississippi State and South Alabama is not a 1-for-1! Look. It. Up.

Yes, there are G5 schools that get 1-for-1s with P5s but you are far more likely to see 2-for-1s.

For the last time. THE MEAN GREEN CLUB FUNDS STUDENT ATHLETE SCHOLARSHIPS,......period. Raising mgc memberships is going to be vital for the new "stipend" that is around the corner.

So does the MGC fully cover the cost of all athletic scholarships awarded at UNT, or does the university subsidize the shortfall?

Essentially, my point is that if the university is having to subsidize scholarships, if the MGC levels are raised, the university subsidy could be redirected to the AD to replace things like revenue from payday games so we could only play H/H series.

Edited by greenit

The series between Mississippi State and South Alabama is not a 1-for-1! Look. It. Up.

Yes, there are G5 schools that get 1-for-1s with P5s but you are far more likely to see 2-for-1s.

But the Arkansas St-Mizzou series's a one and one. 03 posted a whole list of G5s getting one and ones.

You know who has never been on that list (outside of a terrible Indiana team)? Even with a brand new stadium in a major media market that also is a hotbed of college recruiting and 30 minutes from a major airport?

UNT. That's who.

Just like so many other "never" lists we have been on throughout our existence.

You didn't answer my question. Do you think RV should be held to the sane level as the Arkansas St. and USA AD when it comes to scheduling?

Edited by UNT90

Sadly, scheduling really hasn't improved since the days at Fouts.

Had a series with Army in Fouts. Have a series with Army in Apogee. Had a series with SMU at Fouts, have a series with SMU at Apogee. Had a series with Kansas St. at Fouts. Had a series...

Oh wait.

Had a one and one with CUSA Rice at Fouts. Had a one and one with CUSA Houston at Apogee.

Had a one and one with Indiana at Apogee, didnt at Fouts.

So what you are saying is that Apogee has upped us from a 2 for 1 with Kansas St. to a 1 and 1 with Indiana.

Looks a lot like a push to me.

Interestingly enough, UNT played three 5 home game seasons the last five years of Fouts existence and two 5 home game seasons the first 5 years of Apogee.

RV is nothing if not consistent. Definitely NOT what we were promised when donations were made for Apogee.

Edited by UNT90

But the Arkansas St-Mizzou series's a one and one. 03 posted a whole list of G5s getting one and ones.

You know who has never been on that list? Even with a brand new stadium in a major media market that also is a hotbed of college recruiting and 30 minutes from a major airport?

UNT. That's who.

Just like so many other "never" lists we have been on throughout our existence.

You didn't answer my question. Do you think RV should be held to the sane level as the Arkansas St. and USA AD when it comes to scheduling?

The series with Indiana was a 1-for-1.

I don't see how being in a major media market and 30 minutes from a major airport is a determining factor for a school looking to schedule us.

If you look at the scheduling between USA and North Texas, it's not that different other then you don't see 2-for-1s on our schedule. That is why I keep asking if you're in favor of them because I think it would help you get some of those higher level P5 you are searching for.

South Alabama past/future OOC opponents:

2011 - @NC State, @Kent State ** USA was still at FCS

2012 - UTSA, Nicholls State, @NC State, @Mississippi State

2013 - Southern Utah, @Tulane, @Tennessee, Kent State, @Navy

2014 - @Kent State, Mississippi State, Georgia Southern, @South Carolina, Navy

2015 - Gardner-Webb, @Nebraska, @San Diego State, NC State

2016 - @Mississippi State, Nicholls State, San Diego State, @LSU

2017 - @Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Alabama A&M, @Louisiana Tech

2018 - Louisiana Tech, @Oklahoma State, @Memphis, and an open slot

2019 - @Nebraska, Memphis, @Tulane, and an open slot

2020 - @Southern Miss, @Southern Miss, Tulane, and an open slot

2021 - Southern Miss, @Bowling Green, and two open slots

2022 - Bowling Green and three open slots

So, it appears that the Jags have agreed to 2-for-1s with NC State, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma State. USA has two trips to Nebraska with no return trips (sound familiar???) and what look like one-and-done trips to LSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss and South Carolina. Tulane, under two contracts, basically got a 2-for-1. They have plenty of FCS schools scheduled. I think with the UTSA games they were both in the same conference and agreed to play a game as an OOC game in 2012. USA had a four game series set up with Navy but it was canceled after two games. The remaining OOC games are 1-for-1s with G5 schools.

While USA has gotten some P5 teams to play at home, it's all due to 2-for-1 arrangements. They have scheduled some G5 schools with home-and-home arrangements with a healthy mix of FCS schools.

I'd say USA is really not that much better at scheduling than North Texas.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

I don't see how being in a major media market and 30 minutes from a major airport is a determining factor for a school looking to schedule us.

If you look at the scheduling between USA and North Texas, it's not that different other then you don't see 2-for-1s on our schedule. That is why I keep asking if you're in favor of them because I think it would help you get some of those higher level P5 you are searching for.

So, it appears that the Jags have agreed to 2-for-1s with NC State, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma State. USA has two trips to Nebraska with no return trips (sound familiar???) and what look like one-and-done trips to LSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss and South Carolina. Tulane, under two contracts, basically got a 2-for-1. They have plenty of FCS schools scheduled. I think with the UTSA games they were both in the same conference and agreed to play a game as an OOC game in 2012. USA had a four game series set up with Navy but it was canceled after two games. The remaining OOC games are 1-for-1s with G5 schools.

While USA has gotten some P5 teams to play at home, it's all due to 2-for-1 arrangements. They have scheduled some G5 schools with home-and-home arrangements with a healthy mix of FCS schools.

Wow.

Except for the fact that we aren't getting the quality schools to come to UNT and otherwise have the "same" schedule as a team that wasn't playing FBS football 6 years ago and play in a conference one rung below CUSA.

Let that sink in for a minute.

USA has done better than UNT while using 2 for 1s. That us a huge comment on how inflexible our schedule has been and what a terrible jobRV has done scheduling football games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You did all of that copy and pasting and all it did was reinforce the point that is crystal clear. Which is RV obviously couldn't schedule himself out of a wet paper bag. You even verbally stated that USA is doing a better job at scheduling. USA is a young program located in a isolated part of the country that plays in the Belt, but yet they are bringing in not only P5's (regardless of how) but they are also making 1-1's with their PEERS! I would love to have a 1-1 with Navy, Memphis or Tulane. It beats the hell out of Idaho and Ball St (granted ball st had a good team in 2013 but they have no brand at all). 1-1's with any AAC team would be tits (and yes I know SMwho is AAC). I'd happy with a 1-1 vs half the MWC and MAC and a couple teams from the belt. I would be happy with 2-1's vs a middle tier P5, like Iowa. Not 2-0. This whole thing just rolls down too many peoples back.
  • Upvote 2

As much as I might want to agree with people being combative with you.... How anyone can argue this post is beyond me.

5 home games for the 2nd time now... In beautiful Apogee stadium... In the hot bed of Texas recruiting...

This beautiful stadium was built to revitalize recruiting, revitalize scheduling, revitalize the whole damn program. It's accomplished none of the three to date. Hell... We're not even getting to enjoy it 6 times a year consistently!

Argue all you want about how much credit RV should get for getting the damn thing built... The results since it's glorious unveiling could and probably would have been achieved at FOUTS.

That's the (Football) failure that I can't get my head around people forgiving an AD for.

Absolutely! Best and most relevant post in this thread. Thank you! You nailed it. For this reason alone its time for RV to move on.

I would be ashamed and embarrassed to show myself on campus, to meet with donors, fans, students and alumni if I were RV.

In fact, he probably is by simply not disclosing the season tickets sales over the last 14 years and padding the attendance figures for athletic events.

There comes a point in time, and we very well may be there, that the state and goals of UNT Athletics becomes a moral issue.

I think we are already there.

• Upvote 1

Is it reasonable to expect RV and the AD to explain what's going on with recruiting? Obviously replacing the Tulsa series is hogwash; it's been multiple years since that series was cancelled to find a replacement.

But I find it extremely hard to believe that there aren't solid teams around the country who would pass up the opportunity to come to the DFW area and play a team (that, lets be honest) is a feasible win. If there was more transparency could that help the fans understand (if not accept) why 5-game seasons are necessary?

Because right now it appears that RV is only putting a token effort at best into scheduling and standing up for UNT's best interests. It's not in our best interests to have an opening week bye, along with home games on three significant dates for the metroplex.

If President Smatresk's big deal is marketing and pushing UNT's brand out there, this football schedule is appalling. I wonder if he'll have the latitude to shake it up in Athletics. He's already shaking up academics with his program review and now being able to appoint his own Provost with Dr. Burggren returning to the faculty ranks (though for how long is another question - he'll be Provost or President elsewhere within 12-18 months I'd wage).

I've told you guys this for the last three years and this schedule drives the point home:

Scheduling football games - the absolute worst thing this AD does.

Damn shame to see that shining state-of-the-art facility sitting there empty for most of the year. The bare minimum is SIX North Texas home games. There is absolutely no excuse for anything else.

If scheduling football games is the absolute worse thing this AD does then hiring competent coaches for the major income producing sports has to be a very very close second.

Either way as much as like RV and appreciate his effort over the years I like so many others believe it is time for him to step aside.

Edited by meangreenbob

CUSA had to pick us after SMU left if they wanted a presence in DFW still--they literally had no choice. Apogee being built wasn't getting us into CUSA any sooner if SMU was there. I'm sure Apogee was a nice cherry on top of the sundae for CUSA, but if Fouts was still there and we were still parroting around those old drawings and sketches of a new stadium that never had a prayer of getting off the ground without the SGA and Todd Dodge forcing it down the BORs throats, we would still be in CUSA. The damn league is SBC 2.0--it's better, but not by much, than the old SBC.

And Green P1s point about who we host at Apogee versus Fouts is spot on. Frankly, I cannot believe that the big money donors here aren't bitching to high heaven about laying down $78 million from various sources to build a stadium that literally has hosted the exact same caliber of teams that the Toilet Bowl Fouts hosted. To me, #itsallajoke, applies to this whole situation.

I don't think your buddy, RV, needs to get fired now. Nobody else will get to run the department any better than he has under the UNT BOR. And I know he wants to win, that he probably wishes he could hire and fire as he wants to in revenue sports, but he can't because of the restrictions that the BOR puts on the AD. But arguing about scheduling OOC opponents here at Apogee, after being told specifically that teams like Iowa could be targeted as a reasonable opponent to bring down here now, then signing a 2 for 0 deal with them, it all just screams small time. Look, if we need these games to pay the bills, just say it. Its ok--nobody at UNT is going to be surprised. Play 5 games schedules in Denton, with 2 bought beatings a year, and then 2 home-and-home series with actual opponents people might care about. I'll never step foot at Apogee for Texas Southern, Nicholls State, Portland State, or Incarnate Word--my time with my small children and wife are way more valuable than that. Obviously, a huge majority of people feel the same way. Its hard enough to make that sacrifice for the SBCUSA teams we play, but at least they are all G5 teams. If RV said tomorrow, that in 2020, we are playing BYU in a home-and-home series and that it would be our only home game that season in OOC, I'd be thrilled. As a matter of fact, I'd pay 50% more for that game, too, just because its a marquee opponent. SMU and Army are fine OOC opponents--love both as a series to be played, but neither should be your PRIMARY OOC home game. If they are equal to the other home OOC game, that's fine. But don't sell either of them as some great coup that we got them on the schedule, so if we are really lucky, we'll also get Nicholls State or Incarante Word to match up with that powerhouse SMU!! To put it in comparison, SMU is hosting us this year in Dallas. Their other OOC home game is against Baylor, while they travel to Ft. Worth for TCU. That's how you schedule OOC. Whether that's on RV or the UNT BOR, its a disgrace. Apogee may have saved the future of the program as a G5 school for decades to come, but other than that, our program still has a lot of "Fouts" in the way we run the major revenue sport at UNT. Scheduling, to me, is exhibit #1 to this fact...

• Upvote 2

And what Fly should realize is we NEED to schedule name opponents to show OUR OWN ALUMNI that this isn't the same UNT football program that they have either ignored or made fun of for the past umpteen years.

Scheduling+winning is the only way to accomplish this goal.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And what Fly should realize is we NEED to schedule name opponents to show OUR OWN ALUMNI that this isn't the same UNT football program that they have either ignored or made fun of for the past umpteen years.

Scheduling+winning is the only way to accomplish this goal.

But how would we ever pay for the athletic department's bills if we cannot play an OOC game at (insert P5 giant here)? You gotta stay in budget and this is the safest way to do that... //typical BOR member

Since 1991, my freshman year at UNT, we have played or are scheduled to play the following schools in 41 OOC games in Denton:

Abilene Christian (1991-1994), SW Missouri State (1991,1993), Montana (1994), Oregon State (1995), UAB (1995), Idaho State (1995), Illinois State (1996), Vanderbilt (1996), Indiana State (1997), Houston (1998, 2011), UNLV (1999), Baylor (2000,2003), Samford (2000), TCU (2001), Nicholls State (2002,2014), South Florida (2002), Tulsa (2005, 2008) SMU (2006, 2014, 2016), La Tech (2006), Navy (2007), Ohio (2009), Army (2009, 2017), Rice (2010) Kansas State (2010), Indiana (2011), Texas Southern (2012), Idaho (2013), Ball State (2013), Portland State (2015), and Incarnate Word.

That breakdown is as follows:

6 OOC home games against P5 schools at the time of playing them (Oregon State, Vandy, Baylor twice, Kansas St, and Indiana)

18 OOC home games against G5 schools when we played them (UH twice, UNLV, TCU, USF, Tulsa twice, SMU three times, La Tech, Navy, Ohio, Army twice, Rice, Idaho, and Ball State)

3 OOC home games against FCS schools that were i-aa when we were still 1-aa (SW Missouri State, Montana)

14 OOC home games against teams classified lower than FBS or Division 1 when we played them (4 against ACU who was D-2 at the time we were i-aa, UAB (weren't I-A yet), Idaho St, Illinois St, Indiana St, Samford, Nicholls State twice, Texas Southern, Portland State, and Incarnate Word)

Over a third of the time, since 1991, we have asked our fans to come out to a home game in Denton to watch a team that is lower in classification than we are at the time of kickoff. Our record is 11-1, with two more to play.

Less than 15% of our home games in Denton since 1991 have involved a P5 school at the time it was played. (Oregon State was in our first year up to I-A in 1995, K-State closed out Fouts in 2010, and Indiana played here in the opening year of Apogee in 2011). Our record in those 6 home games is 3-3. OTOH, since 1991, we have won exactly two road games against P5 competition (both in Lubbock in 1997 and 1999).

And, as we look out in the years ahead, nothing changes in this approach. We literally don't even give the fans or the program the chance to have a defining win that might actual gather some media attention from the local media, much less anything national. I can really argue that our best OOC home wins are Baylor in 2003 (who was absolutely atrocious), Oregon State in 1996 (who was absolutely atrocious), Indiana in 2011 (who was absolutely atrocious), and Ball State in 2013 (who was very good), and Idaho in 2013 (who was atrocious).

• Upvote 2

But how would we ever pay for the athletic department's bills if we cannot play an OOC game at (insert P5 giant here)? You gotta stay in budget and this is the safest way to do that... //typical BOR member

Since 1991, my freshman year at UNT, we have played or are scheduled to play the following schools in 41 OOC games in Denton:

Abilene Christian (1991-1994), SW Missouri State (1991,1993), Montana (1994), Oregon State (1995), UAB (1995), Idaho State (1995), Illinois State (1996), Vanderbilt (1996), Indiana State (1997), Houston (1998, 2011), UNLV (1999), Baylor (2000,2003), Samford (2000), TCU (2001), Nicholls State (2002,2014), South Florida (2002), Tulsa (2005, 2008) SMU (2006, 2014, 2016), La Tech (2006), Navy (2007), Ohio (2009), Army (2009, 2017), Rice (2010) Kansas State (2010), Indiana (2011), Texas Southern (2012), Idaho (2013), Ball State (2013), Portland State (2015), and Incarnate Word.

That breakdown is as follows:

6 OOC home games against P5 schools at the time of playing them (Oregon State, Vandy, Baylor twice, Kansas St, and Indiana)

18 OOC home games against G5 schools when we played them (UH twice, UNLV, TCU, USF, Tulsa twice, SMU three times, La Tech, Navy, Ohio, Army twice, Rice, Idaho, and Ball State)

3 OOC home games against FCS schools that were i-aa when we were still 1-aa (SW Missouri State, Montana)

14 OOC home games against teams classified lower than FBS or Division 1 when we played them (4 against ACU who was D-2 at the time we were i-aa, UAB (weren't I-A yet), Idaho St, Illinois St, Indiana St, Samford, Nicholls State twice, Texas Southern, Portland State, and Incarnate Word)

Over a third of the time, since 1991, we have asked our fans to come out to a home game in Denton to watch a team that is lower in classification than we are at the time of kickoff. Our record is 11-1, with two more to play.

Less than 15% of our home games in Denton since 1991 have involved a P5 school at the time it was played. (Oregon State was in our first year up to I-A in 1995, K-State closed out Fouts in 2010, and Indiana played here in the opening year of Apogee in 2011). Our record in those 6 home games is 3-3. OTOH, since 1991, we have won exactly two road games against P5 competition (both in Lubbock in 1997 and 1999).

And, as we look out in the years ahead, nothing changes in this approach. We literally don't even give the fans or the program the chance to have a defining win that might actual gather some media attention from the local media, much less anything national. I can really argue that our best OOC home wins are Baylor in 2003 (who was absolutely atrocious), Oregon State in 1996 (who was absolutely atrocious), Indiana in 2011 (who was absolutely atrocious), and Ball State in 2013 (who was very good), and Idaho in 2013 (who was atrocious).

Excellent post on the culture and history of scheduling opponents. This is should illustrate the importance of changing the scheduling culture at UNT.

• Upvote 1

Excellent post on the culture and history of scheduling opponents. This is should illustrate the importance of changing the scheduling culture at UNT.

Oh, it won't change--but it was way of illustrating just how little bang for our buck we get in Denton. Ever had trouble getting anyone to go watch a Big West/SBC/CUSA home game? Well, there went your best chance, usually. Sure, Navy, Army, and old SWC teams have brought decent crowds to Fouts/Apogee but its because other people might actually want to come and watch us play them. We overcrowded decrepit Fouts, just to watch the worst Baylor team in their history play in Denton against our best team of the 00's. Our fans want to get others to come out for a game in Denton, but its really hard to do that when you litter the schedule with FCS teams that no one has heard of.

I'm not even asking for a P5 OOC game anymore. Just give us something to compliment SMU or Army, a series with a MWC team or with a MAC team would be perfectly acceptable at this point. Or God forbid, we try and do something as insane as fellow conference mate and noted powerhouse, Middle Tennessee, did when they actually signed a home-and-home with BYU. BTW, noted powerhouse Middle Tennessee, has hosted BYU (2014), Memphis (twice), East Carolina, Georgia Tech, and Minnesota since 2010, and will host Vanderbilt this upcoming season. Just getting Houston, Colorado State, Boise State, San Diego State, Northern illinois, or others like them is all I'm asking for at this point. Please, no more FCS schools or SBC schools anymore. Start by droppping Incarnate Word and all 25 people they will bring with them. But who am I kidding--Abilene Christian is not far behind to get on the OOC again here in Denton. I can alreeady see the press release: "A Rivalry Renewed!!"