UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

Boise St. became Boise St. when they beat a major program, and not before.

*BUZZZZ* Wrong. Boise became Boise when they started to recruit better. How did they start to recruit better? They won games against lower competition.

Right now we are getting some 3* recruits. Boise was at that level also at the start. Then they beat up some lower competition, and they started getting MOSTLY 3* recruits, kept doing it, got a 4* every once in a while. etc, etc. Then they beat OU.

And the main problem with your argument is that we play a P5 every year on the road that has been an automatic loss for this program forever. So are you saying as long as we get our whore money that losing is ok?

No I don't want to play them at all. Maybe once every few years. I think if we had better leadership in place we could develop better revenue streams and not have to play those paycheck games at all. Once our recruiting improves to where we could be competitive from a pure athlete stand point, then lets play the P5.

That's what Boise did, they beat up the small teams AND THEN recruited well AND THEN beat some of the big boys. Look at their wins at the start:

1998: CalState(nor), Portland St, Utah, Weber St, Utah St, NMSU (we beat this team)

1999: Southern Utah, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Utah St, Ark St, NMSU, Idaho (We beat this team also)

2000: New Mexico, Northern Iowa, Central Mich, Eastern Wash, North Texas, NSMU, Ark St, Utah St, Idaho, UTEP

2001: UTEP, Idaho, Tulsa, Fresno St, Nevada, Hawaii, SJSU, Central Mich

2002: Idaho, Wyo, Utah St, Hawaii, Tulsa, Fresno, SJSU, Utep, Rice, LaTech, Nevada (ranked 15th)

2003: Idaho St, Idaho, Wyo, LaTech, Tulsa, SMU, SJSU, BYU, UTEP, Nevada, Fresno, Hawaii (ranked 15th)

2004: Idaho, Oregon St, UTEP, BYU, SMU, Tulsa, Fresno, Hawaii, SJSU, LaTech, Nevada (ranked 12th)

2005: BGSU, Hawaii, Portland St, SJSU, Utah St,Nevada, NMSU, Fresno, Idaho, LaTech

2006: Sac St, Oregon St, Wyo, Hawaii, Utah, LaTech, NMSU, Idaho, Fresno, SJSU, Utah St, Nevada (They beat OU in the Fiest)

See that? 9 years, 88 wins, 7 FCS teams, 2 P5 teams (a terrible Oregon St program, and of course the great win against OU)

Thats how you build a program, bring in FCS teams, schedule other G5 teams, especially the one struggling. No reason a university this size shouldn't have a program that can bring in an Idaho or NMSU as a paycheck game every year.

• Upvote 1

No fricking way.

Beating a "bigger" program is far more likely at home than on the road.

Like I've already said having a patsy come in a get kicked around isn't a bad thing, but beating a (more) meaningful should be on the list of goals. That is far more likely to happen in Apogee than anywhere else.

So what is your answer? Now, but feel free to answer 2010 too.

More likely? Yes. Much more likely? No. Bringing in Okie St to Apogee doesn't suddenly make them Texas Southern.

What exactly does bringing in a powerful P5 team to dog whip us do? Lets say we can wave a magic wand and get UT to agree to a home and home at Apogee. Great. A split stadium (if we're lucky) gets to see them manhandle us. Wow. That will sure bring em back.

Do what Boise did, do what Marshall used to do and is doing again. Scrape the bottom of the FBS and whip them. Bring in FCS teams that you know for sure you can beat. Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Upvote 3

Funny how you don't show the Boise St. wins, rankings, and recruiting AFTER that OU win.

That is when their recruiting, respect, and early national rankings REALLY took off.

And you show a 7 year period. Guess what? If you are going to schedule a P5, you are going to have to do it 5-7 years out (obviously that won't occur at UNT as RV has admitted he doesn't look 2 years out for scheduling purposes).

At least you are consistent in saying that you wouldn't play any P5 games, and that's not a strategy that I would necessarily be against. The problem is this AD promised better home opponents, so that would be admitting that you were untruthful with your fan base, and that ain't gonna happen. The next problem you covered in alternate revenue streams. The 3rd problem is this AD has never really had a scheduling strategy, so what makes you think he will suddenly have an epiphany (plus he told Harry he likes the whorin' and wants it to continue)?

• Downvote 2

BTW: Once you recruit better and win more, then your ticket sales and donations go up, and then you use that money to buy more home games you can win. Boise had SEVEN home games last year. They won them all.

There is a lot of entertainment venues to compete with in the DFW area. Quite a bit more than Boise. Yet another reason to fulfill the promise.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Funny how you don't show the Boise St. wins, rankings, and recruiting AFTER that OU win.

Hurr Durr.

It's not funny. I chose that purposely. We aren't at "post OU" Boise levels. The sad fact of the matter is we are closer to where Boise was in 1998 (third year in FBS). Now if you want to get angry at an AD, get angry about that.

Looking at Boise post OU is pointless, we can't do that, why don't we just look at UT? Oh, we should start our own network? Why not, there is no difference between us and UT and Boise post OU!

At least you are consistent in saying that you wouldn't play any P5 games, and that's not a strategy that I would necessarily be against. The problem is this AD promised better home opponents, so that would be admitting that you were untruthful with your fan base, and that ain't gonna happen. The next problem you covered in alternate revenue streams. The 3rd problem is this AD has never really had a scheduling strategy, so what makes you think he will suddenly have an epiphany (plus he told Harry he likes the whorin' and wants it to continue)?

If those are your complaint against the AD then those are your complaints. It doesn't change the fact that we need to load up on the bottom feeders if we want to advance.

• Upvote 2

There is a lot of entertainment venues to compete with in the DFW area. Quite a bit more than Boise. Yet another reason to fulfill the promise.

There is a lot of entertainment venues in Ft Worth and the Frogs still managed to ride the "play the bottom of the FBS" into the B12.

Beat up on lesser teams.

• Upvote 2

Oh, it won't change--but it was way of illustrating just how little bang for our buck we get in Denton. Ever had trouble getting anyone to go watch a Big West/SBC/CUSA home game? Well, there went your best chance, usually. Sure, Navy, Army, and old SWC teams have brought decent crowds to Fouts/Apogee but its because other people might actually want to come and watch us play them. We overcrowded decrepit Fouts, just to watch the worst Baylor team in their history play in Denton against our best team of the 00's. Our fans want to get others to come out for a game in Denton, but its really hard to do that when you litter the schedule with FCS teams that no one has heard of.

I'm not even asking for a P5 OOC game anymore. Just give us something to compliment SMU or Army, a series with a MWC team or with a MAC team would be perfectly acceptable at this point. Or God forbid, we try and do something as insane as fellow conference mate and noted powerhouse, Middle Tennessee, did when they actually signed a home-and-home with BYU. BTW, noted powerhouse Middle Tennessee, has hosted BYU (2014), Memphis (twice), East Carolina, Georgia Tech, and Minnesota since 2010, and will host Vanderbilt this upcoming season. Just getting Houston, Colorado State, Boise State, San Diego State, Northern illinois, or others like them is all I'm asking for at this point. Please, no more FCS schools or SBC schools anymore. Start by droppping Incarnate Word and all 25 people they will bring with them. But who am I kidding--Abilene Christian is not far behind to get on the OOC again here in Denton. I can alreeady see the press release: "A Rivalry Renewed!!"

Wow...just wow...I wish I had this kind of luck with stocks or betting.

• Upvote 1

There's a poster up in the football office. I know who we're playing. It's in big letters in the football office waiting room. Not really hidden. Choose to believe me or not, I really don't care. If Rick says there's a reason he doesn't want to announce them and there has been no announcement, I choose to believe there is an actual reason as to why there's no official announcement.

So what exactly did that poster say?

I mean I get that containing the excitement of announcing Liberty as an OOC opponent and the renewal of historic rivals in Lamar and Abilien Christian must have been just painful to keep secret--damn CUSA rules!!! Back when we played these teams in the Southland, they never had a problem with us releasing the schedules of our OOC opponents...

Hurr Durr.

It's not funny. I chose that purposely. We aren't at "post OU" Boise levels. The sad fact of the matter is we are closer to where Boise was in 1998 (third year in FBS). Now if you want to get angry at an AD, get angry about that.

Looking at Boise post OU is pointless, we can't do that, why don't we just look at UT? Oh, we should start our own network? Why not, there is no difference between us and UT and Boise post OU!

The point is Boise's recruitment DIDNT TAKE OFF until after that OU win. THEY DID THAT WITH 2 AND 3 STAR PLAYERS.

The same level of player we recruit RIGHT NOW!

So, again, why play these games only on the road where there is ZERO chance of winning and a 100% chance of reinforcing what everyone thinks about your program.

You obviously don't get that playing a home game against a known P5 legitimizes our football program in the eyes of OUR OWN alum, so this is the last time I'll mention it...

Maybe...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

There's a poster up in the football office. I know who we're playing. It's in big letters in the football office waiting room. Not really hidden. Choose to believe me or not, I really don't care. If Rick says there's a reason he doesn't want to announce them and there has been no announcement, I choose to believe there is an actual reason as to why there's no official announcement.

Did Rick say he did not want to announce them? That doesn't seem to jive with putting up a poster for any walk-in to see, or Vito's latest post.

Regarding scheduling, I think the single most improvement that could be made is to eliminate the paycheck game (both of them). This would allow us to add two additional series that could provide lots of team combinations. Maybe even throw in the random p5 H/H every 3 or 4 years. I think the general consensus is that we are somewhere around $300k-$500k away. I would really like to see the AD make a public push for making this happen. Create a plan, make the plan public, and get it done.

I think it would help address several of the other issues we are facing such as donation levels, interesting home opponents, attendance at 25k+, etc... Put a plan in place now with a goal of being paycheck game free by year 20XX.

• Upvote 1

So now because I support my university and the kids that play for it, I am a clapping seal. You guys are classic. I understand complaining about scheduling, coaching, marketing etc. But to call diehard fans names is beyond me.

Maybe if you showed up, you would see a team that plays really hard, that lacks a true point guard (and before it is pointed out, I know who forgot to recruit a point guard), but on any given night can beat anybody in this league. If you don't believe me, then just ask La. tech.

I didn't call out anyone so put your skirt back down. I said I won't be a part of the clapping seals that show up, meaning that's how I would feel if I showed up. I would feel like a clapping seal just clapping and smiling for nothing and supporting losing. I won't support losing and extremely poor management.

Maybe if you didn't show up someone higher up would notice and finally realize something is wrong and start demanding some accountability.

See how that "maybe if you did this or that" works both ways?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

I didn't call out anyone so put your skirt back down. I said I won't be a part of the clapping seals that show up, meaning that's how I would feel if I showed up. I would feel like a clapping seal just clapping and smiling for nothing and supporting losing. I won't support losing and extremely poor management.

Maybe if you didn't show up someone higher up would notice and finally realize something is wrong and start demanding some accountability.

See how that "maybe if you did this or that" works both ways?

Rick

This sounds great for peons like us who give <$1000/yr...

But I'm going to assume that if Mr. Flyonthewall stopped showing up and took his funds with him, the situation would get much worse, not better.

This sounds great for peons like us who give <$1000/yr...

I think you've realistically got the decimal shifted a couple places too far to the left on that number.

But I'm going to assume that if Mr. Flyonthewall stopped showing up and took his funds with him, the situation would get much worse, not better.

It'll be a cold day in hell before that happens. Fly and his wife are dedicated to this thing come hell or high water, and no message board is going to change that. This is simply what they do, part of who they are.

Texans would sooner give up their pickup trucks in a bid to lower emissions than Fly and his wife would stop providing support for UNT, financial and/or otherwise.

Our support is for student athletes and students of the university, to give them opportunities they otherwise would not have. I could care less if bitchy,whiney complain about engine in a car the university owes me a life debt because I personally restored a cannon fire hat wearing people ever show up for a game. Especially when they don't call me out by telling me to "put my skirt down".

The basketball game was awesome entertainment last night, some of you should try it.

I get the sentiment, but I'd have a little more coffee before typing in the morning. Just a thought!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Our support is for student athletes and students of the university, to give them opportunities they otherwise would not have. I could care less if bitchy,whiney complain about engine in a car the university owes me a life debt because I personally restored a cannon fire hat wearing people ever show up for a game. Especially when they don't call me out by telling me to "put my skirt down".

The basketball game was awesome entertainment last night, some of you should try it.

Don't cut those people short now. You left out letter-writing bitch-fest'er about the Burnt-Orange and Rice Blue till we get it correct, and constant complaint file'er to University Legal concerning university employee attempts to destroy and remove the NT Battle Flag from campus'er.

And as for that last highlighted part. You enjoyed yourself in an empty basketball arena? Well ok then.

LOL!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Don't cut those people short now. You left out letter-writing bitch-fest'er about the Burnt-Orange and Rice Blue till we get it correct, and constant complaint file'er to University Legal concerning university employee attempts to destroy and remove the NT Battle Flag from campus'er.

And as for that last highlighted part. You enjoyed yourself in an empty basketball arena? Well ok then.

LOL!

Rick

And don't forget whiny constant reminder'er about the fact that the Mean Green are not named after Joe Greene (though our own SID can't be convinced of this).

• Upvote 3