Creighton (12/21/14)

CMJ

Well, we kind of need to wait till the end of the season for that, don't ya think? We've had some really early season wins that were sky high RPI ranking wise because so few games had been played. I want to say we played UNC Charlotte, or someone like that, early on in the 2006-07 campaign when they were top 20 RPI. After that win, I believe we even vaulted into the top 25 RPI wise.

Creighton's RPI is 124 at the moment. It will surely go up by season's end, but we've had several wins bigger than that number.

In other words, I don't necessarily believe there is a magic ranking. Pure numbers don't indicate that Creighton is as good as their near top 25 ranking in human polls. But I also don't believe Creighton is not a top 75 program at this point in the season either.

Terrible team not known for basketball vs a national basketball power in the premiere basketball focused conference who made it to the sweet 16 last year.

Way bigger.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

As far as quality of opponent you're correct. Now, when speaking in terms of fan excitement Tech and OK state are up there just because of the name recognition. Same with A&M last year.

I would think you could argue that the Tech Okie light wins were bigger because of the number of fans in attendance. Gotta get them hooked so they come back.

More than half of the fans there today will not be back until we play Creighton at home again (currently no agreement to do so).

Terrible team not known for basketball vs a national basketball power in the premiere basketball focused conference who made it to the sweet 16 last year.

Way bigger.

I'm sorry....are you aware that UNC Charlotte actually has a good history in basketball. One of those two schools has made a Final Four in their past - and it ain't Creighton.

Not to mention, the Blue Jays didn't make the Sweet 16 last year - they lost to Baylor the round before the Regional Semis. Don't throw out statements like that and not know.

• Upvote 4

The fans are out there if Benford figures out what the hell he's doing. I think for JJ's last game at the Pit there was almost 7,000. For a Sun Belt conference game...

You are correct. The game against ULL on 2/18/12 had an attendance of 6921 which is #8 all time at the Super Pit.

We had almost 5,000 for a Sun Belt game against Denver. That OT win was awesome.

I bet the fans are there, they are just waiting for some consistency to come in with some wins. It will be interesting to see how things go tomorrow against Prairie View A&M. If we crap the bed I think a lot of the fans sitting on the fence will just see yesterday's win as more of a fluke.

• Upvote 1

Well, in just a couple of years we will need to claim there were 8,000 in attendance for this Creighton game if we count everyone who will eventually claim they were in attendance during future discussions.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It may just be that i'm an eternal optimist or that I'm drunk on the mean green kool-aid, but I feel good about this team going into conference play. We've really only had 2 bad games this season (Iona and Okie St). This team has performed far better than I ever thought it would. I don't see any reason why we can't make a run during conference play. But then again..I may need to add something to the kool-aid another month down the road...

• Upvote 2

Wow--I had no idea they won this game until this morning. That is awesome!!

Great win for Benford and the Mean Green...

I often get frustrated at the direction of the program, but this is a terrific win, easily the best win we have had in years. The Texas Tech win was great in front of a loud Super Pit, but as far as opponents that will probably have a chance at getting into the NCAA Tournament from a Power Conference, this is our best win in a long time.

• Upvote 2

We had almost 5,000 for a Sun Belt game against Denver. That OT win was awesome.

I bet the fans are there, they are just waiting for some consistency to come in with some wins. It will be interesting to see how things go tomorrow against Prairie View A&M. If we crap the bed I think a lot of the fans sitting on the fence will just see yesterday's win as more of a fluke.

I see tomorrow's game as a negative opportunity. If we win then it was only against Prairie View in front of almost no one. Little credit for a win against what should be an over matched opponent in a game easily overlooked during a holiday week and if the boys struggle or do the (nearly) unthinkable and lose then it will be more of the same.

I think we win and no one notices.

• Upvote 1

Creighton entered the game 9th in the country in made three pointers. Against the Mean Green zone defense, the Blue Jays were held to 10 for 39 shooting from beyond the arc.

I'll be damned...Skiver was right.

Whatever happened to that guy???

AIDS?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry....are you aware that UNC Charlotte actually has a good history in basketball. One of those two schools has made a Final Four in their past - and it ain't Creighton.

Not to mention, the Blue Jays didn't make the Sweet 16 last year - they lost to Baylor the round before the Regional Semis. Don't throw out statements like that and not know.

Woohoo...1977 final four...yippee...40 years ago doesn't mean jack

• Downvote 1

If it wasn't printed in one of the recent AD talking points emails.... he's probs not interested.

Knowing our AD... the part about the sweet 16 probably was.