MGB: Reese appeal denied

Brett Vito

Wow the good news just keeps on coming. He has to sit out the entire year the way I read this....that's WORSE than what we were expecting which was him becoming eligible after 1st semester... he would have only two seasons left... ugh...

Wow the good news just keeps on coming. He has to sit out the entire year the way I read this....that's WORSE than what we were expecting which was him becoming eligible after 1st semester... he would have only two seasons left... ugh...

He is a junior which I thought meant he would have only one season left.

It doesn't negatively affect his amount of eligibility remaining. If he would have been eligible for this season, he only would have had one more season of eligibility remaining after this year. But since he is sitting out (redshirting), he will still have 2 years remaining after this season.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

It doesn't negatively affect his amount of eligibility remaining. If he would have been eligible for this season, he only would have had one more season of eligibility remaining after this year. But since he is sitting out (redshirting), he will still have 2 years remaining after this season.

Respectfully disagree. We lose a semester. We needed help at point guard bad THIS season.

Respectfully disagree. We lose a semester. We needed help at point guard bad THIS season.

His point was that, since he's sitting the full year and taking a redshirt, he will be able to play the full year next year as a redshirt junior and a full year as a redshirt senior (potentially).

If he would've been ruled eligible then he would've finished the rest of this year as a junior, only getting a half season out of his junior year. Now he'll get a full junior season next year. Thus, potentially an extra half season of playing for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1

Not disappointed at all (If he remains with the program) Big picture is that we get the kid for 2 full seasons, along with a legit center that we don't have.now. You build a team with a good big man and a very good point guard. There are enough ships to compliment Reese and Brice nicely for the next 2 years. The extra semester should help attract some other nice recruits.

• Upvote 2

This is what I like to call a classic case of bullshit. If we're P5 he would be playing the first game right after Christmas break. There are athletes allll over the country that get reinstated in exact cases such as this one, in the P5 of course. Then there are the cases of horrible misconduct off the field/court and the NCAA turns a blind eye to it.

Joke.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is what I like to call a classic case of bullshit. If we're P5 he would be playing the first game right after Christmas break. There are athletes allll over the country that get reinstated in exact cases such as this one, in the P5 of course. Then there are the cases of horrible misconduct off the field/court and the NCAA turns a blind eye to it.

Joke.

I'm just guessing here. But we would assume that the NCAA...ie, Texas A&M and North Texas council members or their reps for the two schools that serve on the clearing house, had to ask the question as to why he wanted to transfer. To which he said something along the lines of "Cause I got kicked off the A&M basketball team and I want to go elsewhere, it's a better fit for me,...I've been here a calender year season now etc...." To which they then asked..."Why did you get kicked off the A&M basketball team?". And of course you know......the comment of "Due to breaking team rules" won't suffice here, and the actual reason for it had to be told. And once they heard that then they made their decision to enforce a full basketball season.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I'm just guessing here. But we would assume that the NCAA...ie, Texas A&M and North Texas council members or their reps for the two schools that serve on the clearing house, had to ask the question as to why he wanted to transfer. To which he said something along the lines of "Cause I got kicked off the A&M basketball team and I want to go elsewhere, it's a better fit for me,...I've been here a calender year season now etc...." To which they then asked..."Why did you get kicked off the A&M basketball team?". And of course you know......the comment of "Due to breaking team rules" won't suffice here, and the actual reason for it had to be told. And once they heard that then they made their decision to enforce a full basketball season.

Rick

This is my thinking as well. I thought there was a chance he'd play, but that was always what was going to make it difficult. Did not transfer on his own accord or because of any circumstance outside of his control. He was kicked off.

If anyone can find a case of a kid getting kicked off a team after playing in games one season and then becoming eligible at any point during the next season then I may be a little more made and call it going against precedent. Until then I kind of like the prospects of potentially getting to see this kid play for two full seasons.

This is my thinking as well. I thought there was a chance he'd play, but that was always what was going to make it difficult. Did not transfer on his own accord or because of any circumstance outside of his control. He was kicked off.

If anyone can find a case of a kid getting kicked off a team after playing in games one season and then becoming eligible at any point during the next season then I may be a little more made and call it going against precedent. Until then I kind of like the prospects of potentially getting to see this kid play for two full seasons.

In basketball I am unsure bc I don't follow it that closely. In football it happens all the time. Players get kicked off FBS teams just to transfer to another program in a lower division to play immediately. So, that is a bad excuse for allowing the NCAA/P5 to press it's thumb down on top of the G5 a little harder. It's BS, cut and dry.

In basketball I am unsure bc I don't follow it that closely. In football it happens all the time. Players get kicked off FBS teams just to transfer to another program in a lower division to play immediately.

Reese didn't transfer to a lower division after getting kicked off. We are the same division as Texas A&M. He transferred from D1 to D1 (no FBS/FCS in basketball. Just one D1). If you transfer to a lower division in football then you don't have to sit out a year, whether you got kicked off the team of just chose to transfer on your own free will. So that's a bad comparison.

Show me an example of a kid playing for an FBS school one year, then getting kicked off that team and transferring to another FBS school and being allowed to play immediately the very next season. If it happens all the time, like you say. If you, or anyone else, can't give an example then I don't see how this NCAA ruling went against precedent.

Edited by BillySee58

Reese didn't transfer to a lower division after getting kicked off. We are the same division as Texas A&M. He transferred from D1 to D1 (no FBS/FCS in basketball. Just one D1). If you transfer to a lower division in football then you don't have to sit out a year, whether you got kicked off the team of just chose to transfer on your own free will. So that's a bad comparison.

Show me an example of a kid playing for an FBS school one year, then getting kicked off that team and transferring to another FBS school and being allowed to play immediately the very next season. If it happens all the time, like you say. If you, or anyone else, can't give an example then I don't see how this NCAA ruling went against precedent.

I understand that both schools are FBS. I was just squashing the excuse of that his appeal was denied due to misconduct. And this isn't a transfer to play immediately case. He has sat out his 1 year and and by NCAA rules he should be eligible to play. Did the NCAA even give a reason to justify their decision? Either way, this is BS. If this was a blue blood bball program this would have NEVER happened.

I understand that both schools are FBS. I was just squashing the excuse of that his appeal was denied due to misconduct. And this isn't a transfer to play immediately case. He has sat out his 1 year and and by NCAA rules he should be eligible to play. Did the NCAA even give a reason to justify their decision? Either way, this is BS. If this was a blue blood bball program this would have NEVER happened.

Unless this is the first time ever a player has been denied mid-season eligibility, even after a full academic year*, Reese probably knew there was a risk involved. We gambled, hoping for some help this year, and lost. This year will suck even more, but we do get Reese for 2 full seasons effective next year, rather than just 1.5

The NCAA has complete control here. You really shouldn't ever think otherwise. Rules like the transfer rules function more like guidelines, and the committee has tons of wiggle room for exceptions. Sometimes they are in the student-athlete's favor, sometimes they are not.

*Per NCAA, they must be enrolled FT both Fall/Spring Semesters during sit-out. I assume Reese followed this rule, but I don't know for fact.