Happy Off-Season! What would you like for your off-season?

KingDL1

So I would like to see both new Offensive and Defensive Coordinators, hopefully top notch talent. RV lets spend some money! I know we are getting a new DC for sure, and I can only hope & expect a new OC. I cannot imagine why Canales would be back next year.

What are you hoping for this off season? Recruits? Other assistants?

I was hoping for a shorter off season but now that its here I want to make the best of it.

I want a new OC, but it will only matter and make an impact if McCarney is willing to completely turn over control of the offense - otherwise we will end up with the same boring crap that leads to another season below 500.

Also we really need to step it up in recruiting - I know most on here heavily discount the recruiting rankings, but continually finishing in the bottom 3 or 4 in our conference is clearly catching up with us.

I want a new OC, but it will only matter and make an impact if McCarney is willing to completely turn over control of the offense - otherwise we will end up with the same boring crap that leads to another season below 500.

Also we really need to step it up in recruiting - I know most on here heavily discount the recruiting rankings, but continually finishing in the bottom 3 or 4 in our conference is clearly catching up with us.

Our current OC never really had our offense prepared for games in my opinion, and our offense had a general lack of execution. I don't care what the calls are if your offense can't execute it really does not matter. All things I have ever heard is Dan lets his coaches coach, that the offense is mostly up to the OC and what they believe the offense can deliver. I could be wrong and I guess we just might see.

Our current OC never really had our offense prepared for games in my opinion, and our offense had a general lack of execution. I don't care what the calls are if your offense can't execute it really does not matter. All things I have ever heard is Dan lets his coaches coach, that the offense is mostly up to the OC and what they believe the offense can deliver. I could be wrong and I guess we just might see.

Mac has very little to do with the offense. He's the head coach, so there are some restrictions, but big ten and a lot of SEC teams are run first teams. Their qbs are not outstanding. You know a run is coming, but its still not as predictable as what we do. We still have no identity on offense. A spread, fake power run team.

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm convinced that Canales must go, but am just not convinced that Mac knows what it takes in this era. I've read plenty as to why people at schools where Chico coached were dissatisfied with his playcalling, but I've also read a lot from Iowa State fans about the style of offense typical of McCarney teams that makes me wonder if they're correct; that he needs someone he can trust sufficiently to just turn over the whole offensive part of the team to him, including signing and developing players who can make a modern passing game happen. So, I would like to see him and RV have a real conversation as to what it will take to develop an offensive powerhouse, if that's what it takes to win the CUSA championship. Apparently, it takes scoring a lot of points on offense, but as Dan said, "why not conference championships".

If winning said conference championship can be done with the current quarterbacks we have on the roster, fine. I haven't seen the numbers to suggest that is the case. But I have serious reservations as to what kind of offensive coordinator we can hire if the head coach has already decided who will be the quarterback for next season. There are really no excuses left for Canales, but if we go another year with no better passing game than we have had this year, there will be no excuses left for Mac or RV. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Se I agree in many ways. I know I am sunshine in my thoughts but I also realize the deficiencies and am not above asking for: a new AD with marketing visionary saavyness. Coach mac's offensive coordinator - his pick his guy. High energy d coordinator - guys across the board who can recruit and get young guys excited to come to one of the best universities in the southwest. I mean I want hungry on all fronts and lastly a Qb with energy. I can't stand defeated looks. Andrew always looked so disheartened after he was thrown to the turf or threw a duck. I can't believe they let that guy mope around and not infuse energy into the team after he took or made a bad play. I will not be crushed if I don't see AM play another down. That almost fumble on the one was shocking.

So come on Smastrek pull some triggers and get this in order. You need a money sport firing on all cylinders like football in Hawaii basketball in Vegas football in Texas.

GMG

• Upvote 2

A President who demonstrates how much he cares by bringing in a new AD to shake things up and breathe new life into a stagnant and backward thinking athletic department.

A BOR with AT LEAST 2/3 of the members being UNT grads.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A President who demonstrates how much he cares by bringing in a new AD to shake things up and breathe new life into a stagnant and backward thinking athletic department.

A BOR with AT LEAST 2/3 of the members being UNT grads.

I am on board with a new AD as well, I like some of what RV has done but it is well past time for a new AD and a good shake up.