2014 Season

UNTexas

I'll never forget when we beat a 0-12 Nicholls Stare team too!............ Seriously though, i can't see why we should take pride in beating these teams. We barely squeaked past FIU (a team I heard didn't deserve to be in CUSA) according to a article that was posted on GMG. The only legitimate prideful win was FAU... Where is the respect in that?

This... I could care less about the SMU win. That is like saying I'm proud to have beaten up a 12 year old.

F this. You are helping the problem that is North Texas. If this is your real outlook then gtfo. F all of this we are what we are BS talk. Fans have to step their game up and f'in demand better. Demand it, don't settle for BS..

We really, really, really need a new OC ASAP. Something to breathe life into this offense bc currently this is beyond unacceptable.

I can imagine this happening:

Bye Chico and your boring, predictable offense.

Hello XYZ and your exciting offense that put up tons of points at such-&-such U.

Here are the pieces you have to work with: McNulty, a rebuilt OL, Carlos Harris, Jeffrey Wilson, Tee Goree? Willy Ivery?

Spring brings all kinds of excitement and we see lots of fun stuff at the Spring game & fall practice that brings alot of optimism

Then it's gametime:

Game1(some schmuck SLC school): a curb stomping with all kinds of exciting plays like what we saw VS Nicholls!!!! WOW!!!! We're all so EXCITED!!!! This OC is so much better than the old OC who's offense hung 56 on a similar team.

Game2(SMU under Morris): a much closer game than this year's version, maybe a UNT win? We start seeing some cracks in the foundation... but hey, SMU is going to be much better this year, so we can let that one slide.

Game3&4(a conf game & Iowa): 2 beatings. Uh-oh, we start seeing alot of vanilla playcalling because, DOH! We don't have a QB who can execute the gameplan, so McCarney asserts himself and the new OC knows he has to agree because it's the only way to keep this team in any game moving forward... McCarney gets blamed. McNulty gets blamed. People start saying the OC hire was bad.

Rest-of-season: Similar results to what we saw this year. But DANG! Jeffrey Wilson is a beast!

With the personnel we have, and Coach McCarney's old-school philosophy of protecting the football, it's not really going to matter WHO the OC is. If we don't have the horses to keep the OC's playbook open, we're going to see alot of the same crap.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Right? I mean, how could we ever be expected to keep up with the power schools, like, I don't know, Utah St?:

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/officer-shot-killed-crazed-man-snatches-gun-police-article-1.1740921

They graduated the most seniors of any program in the country last spring and turned right around and won 9 games in 2014.

But here at UNT, we live and love to make excuses, because, above everything else, THAT is our culture.

Agree!

Rick

Right? I mean, how could we ever be expected to keep up with the power schools, like, I don't know, Utah St?:

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/officer-shot-killed-crazed-man-snatches-gun-police-article-1.1740921

They graduated the most seniors of any program in the country last spring and turned right around and won 9 games in 2014.

But here at UNT, we live and love to make excuses, because, above everything else, THAT is our culture.

It's all about hiring good coaches. I'm not saying AD's will hit on every one of them but RV's track record is awful and what's worse is once a hire is made we're stuck with it because the funds aren't their to buy them out when in reality keeping bad coaches longer only worsens the state and perception of the program. We don't have to look to far as we can look at Arkansas State and the role they've been on hiring coaches.

Hugh Freeze - 2011 Now at Ole Miss

Guz Malzahn - 2012 Now at Auburn

Bryan Harsin - 2013 Back to Boise State and were ranked last I checked.

Blake Anderson - 2014 and beyond and who knows when he ends if he continues on having success.

If ASU can do it being in Jonesboro, AR (no offense to anyone there) then surely NT can do it.

I cant speak on everything Utah State, but I watched Chuckie keeton in a playoff game a few minutes from my home in 2010. Never really heard of Utah state, but that was where he was going. He was a skinny fast kid playing qb. Athlete. Could run better than he could throw (that day), but you could see the raw ability. Not many wanted him to play qb on the next level. 2 star.

A few months later I turn on the TV, and this same kid is STARTING for a D1 football team. What? I followed Utah state and watched them get more pub and ranked.

Keeton followed that true freshman year up, with an all conference year and even started getting Heisman pub until he got hurt. did not get recruited to play qb in Texas.

looking at Utah State now. They have another true freshman starting at qb. Athlete...Guess what state he us from? Texas...not highly recruited. Kent myers from Sachse.

How can a school from Utah come in our state and pick these athletes and have them playing D1 ball as true freshmen? Coaching. Designing a system based on the talent you have or the best you can acquire.

• Upvote 1

We beat hands down, the worst team in the country. I don't take that much pride in that win anymore.

I think Idaho, Georgia St., NM St. might have something to say about that.

Bottom line on the season: Not many teams, even P5 teams, can win with their 3rd string QB. I feel confident in saying that our starter (any of them) would be a 3rd string QB at most FBS schools.

I know QB was far from our only problem, but you just can't win consistently with the type of QB we rolled out each week even if you don't have the other issues.

I cant speak on everything Utah State, but I watched Chuckie keeton in a playoff game a few minutes from my home in 2010. Never really heard of Utah state, but that was where he was going. He was a skinny fast kid playing qb. Athlete. Could run better than he could throw (that day), but you could see the raw ability. Not many wanted him to play qb on the next level. 2 star.

A few months later I turn on the TV, and this same kid is STARTING for a D1 football team. What? I followed Utah state and watched them get more pub and ranked.

Keeton followed that true freshman year up, with an all conference year and even started getting Heisman pub until he got hurt. did not get recruited to play qb in Texas.

looking at Utah State now. They have another true freshman starting at qb. Athlete...Guess what state he us from? Texas...not highly recruited. Kent myers from Sachse.

How can a school from Utah come in our state and pick these athletes and have them playing D1 ball as true freshmen? Coaching. Designing a system based on the talent you have or the best you can acquire.

HONORS: First-Team All-WAC (2012); WAC Offensive Player of the Week (9/7/12; 9/29/12; 10/27/12; 11/17/12; 10/10/11); Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award National Player of the Week (9/7/13); Davey O'Brien Honorable Mention National Quarterback of the Week (9/7/13; 9/7/12); College Sports Madness' WAC Offensive Player of the Week (9/29/12; 10/27/12; 11/17/12; 10/10/11); College Football Performance Awards Honorable Mention National Quarterback of the Week (9/7/13; 9/14/13; 10/13/12; 10/20/12; 11/3/12; 11/17/12; 10/10/11); Rivals.com National Freshman of the Week (9/5/11).

2014 PRESEASON HONORS: Bleacher Report's Initial Heisman Trophy Watch List; Heismanpundit/CBSSports.com Heisman Trophy Watch List; Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award Watch List; Maxwell Award Watch List; College Football Performance Awards Quarterback of the Year Watch List; Phil Steele First-Team All-Mountain West; Athlon Sports First-Team All-Mountain West; Allstate AFCA Good Works Team Nominee.

UTAH STATE: One of the top quarterbacks in the nation... Did not participate in spring drills while recovering from a knee injury suffered against BYU on Oct. 4, 2013... A poised and focused quarterback who is very confident in his abilities... Is very dynamic with his feet... Extremely smart and coachable... Has tremendous intangibles and is a born leader.

CAREER RECORDS: Ranks first all-time in school history in career completion percentage (.665), second in career touchdown passes (56) and career completions (517), third in total offense for a career (7,114 yards), sixth in career passing yards (5,961), seventh in career passing attempts (777) and 22nd in career rushing yards (1,153)... Also ranks first all-time in school history with an interception percentage of 0.017 as he has thrown just 13 career interceptions in 777 career pass attempts.

SINGLE-SEASON RECORDS: Set single-season school records as a sophomore in 2012 for touchdown passes (27), passing yards (3,373), total offensive yards (3,992), completions (275) and completion percentage (.676), and broke his own completion percentage record as a junior (.694).

SINGLE-GAME RECORDS: Tied the single-game school record with five touchdown passes against both Air Force (9/7/13) and Weber State (9/14/13) during his junior season, as well as against Wyoming (10/8/11) during his freshman season... Set a single-game school record with an 88.0 percent completion percentage against Southern Utah (8/30/12) as he was 22-of-25 passing... Tied the single-game school record for rushing yards by a quarterback with 121 yards on a career-high tying 17 carries in a 48-41 overtime win at No. 19 Louisiana Tech (11/17/12).

2013 (JR): Played in just six games before suffering a season-ending knee injury in the first quarter against BYU on Oct. 4... Prior to his injury, Keeton had completed 136-of-196 passes for 1,388 yards (231.3 ypg) with 18 touchdowns and just two interceptions, while rushing for another 241 yards on 55 carries (40.2 ypg/4.4 ypc) with two more scores... Overall, that completion percentage of 69.4 percent breaks his own single-season school record set in 2012, while his 18 touchdown passes rank tied for ninth all-time in school history... Through his first five games of the 2013 season, he ranked second in the nation with 17 touchdown passes, while also ranking first in the Mountain West and second in the nation in points responsible for (22.8 pg), second in the MW and 22nd in the nation in passing efficiency (161.6), third in the MW and eighth in the nation in completions (26.4), third in the MW and 11th in the nation in completion percentage (.710), third in the MW and 18th in the nation in total offense (317.2 ypg), and fourth in the MW and 25th in the nation in passing (272.4 ypg)... Tied his own school record with five touchdown passes in a game twice during his junior year, doing so in a 52-20 win at Air Force (9/7) and again in a 70-6 home win against Weber State (9/14)... Threw at least two touchdown passes in each of his first five games and had four 200-yard passing games, including 314 passing yards at Utah (8/29) and 360 passing yards at Air Force (9/7)... Set career records with 32 completions against the AFA and had a career-high 42 pass attempts at San José State (9/27)... Was named the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award National Player of the Week, and a Davey O'Brien and College Football Performance Awards honorable mention National Quarterback of the Week following his performance at Air Force, and a College Football Performance Awards honorable mention National Quarterback of the Week following his performance against Weber State.

2012 (SO): Started all 13 games... Earned first-team all-WAC honors as he ranked third in the conference and 17th nationally in total offense (307.1 ypg)... Also ranked second in the WAC and 18th in the nation in passing efficiency (154.7), third in the WAC and 29th nationally in passing (259.5 ypg) and eighth in the conference in rushing (47.6 ypg)... Finished the year completing 275-of-407 passes for 3,373 yards with 27 touchdowns and nine interceptions... Rushed for 619 yards on 129 carries (4.8 ypc) with eight touchdowns... Set a single-game school record with an 88.0 percent completion percentage against Southern Utah (8/30) as he was 22-of-25 passing, breaking the old record of 87.5 percent set by Riley Nelson against San José State in 2006... Tied the single-game school record for rushing yards by a quarterback with 121 yards on a career-high tying 17 carries in a 48-41 overtime win at No. 19 Louisiana Tech (11/17)... Also tied his career-high with two rushing touchdowns against the Bulldogs... Completed a career-long 86-yard pass on USU's first offensive play of the game against LT to Kerwynn Williams for a touchdown... Had a career-long rush of 76 yards for a touchdown against New Mexico State (10/20) and scored on a 62-yard run against Toledo (12/15) in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl... Threw at least two touchdown passes in 10 of his 13 games, including a season-high four against UNLV as he passed for a career-high 404 yards... Threw for at least 300 yards five times during the season, including three times in his final five games... Completed a season-best 27 passes at UTSA (10/27) and threw a season-high 38 passes at BYU (10/5)... Set single-season school records for touchdown passes (27), passing yards (3,372), total offense (3,992 yards), completions (275) and completion percentage (.676), while his 407 pass attempts rank seventh all-time at USU for a single-season... Was named the WAC's Offensive Player of the Week four times during the season, becoming the first player in school history to accomplish that feat and the first WAC player to earn four player of the week honors in a single season since 2010... Earned the weekly WAC award following performances against Utah (9/7), UNLV (9/29), UTSA and Louisiana Tech, as well as being named the College Sports Madness' WAC Offensive Player of the Week following each of those games... Was named a Davey O'Brien honorable mention National Quarterback of the Week following the Utah game... Earned College Football Performance Awards honorable mention National Quarterback of the Week honors following games against San José State (10/13), New Mexico State (10/20), Texas State (11/3) and Louisiana Tech.

2011 (FR): Played in nine games and started eight, before surrendering the starting position to Adam Kennedy after sustaining an injury at Hawai`i (11/5)... Threw for 1,200 yards in nine games (120.0 ypg) on 106-of-174 passing (.609) with 11 touchdowns... Rushed for 293 yards and four touchdowns in 68 attempts... Threw only two interceptions in nine games, and was the last Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) starting quarterback to throw an interception, throwing 149-straight passes without an interception before getting picked off in the Louisiana Tech (10/22) game... Ranked eighth in the WAC in passing yards per game (109.1 ypg) and sixth in the conference in total offense (165.9 ypg), as well as fourth in the WAC and 46th in the nation in pass efficiency (137.4)... Second on the team in total offense with 1,493 yards (165.9 ypg)... Threw for a season-high 228 yards and tied a school record with five touchdowns passes in 63-19 win against Wyoming (10/8)... Rushed for season-high two scores in a 42-38 road loss to Auburn (9/3), while also rushing for touchdowns against both Weber State (9/10) and Louisiana Tech... Earned WAC Offensive Player of the Week honors and was named an honorable mention national Quarterback of the Week by College Football Performance Awards in win against Wyoming... Was also named the WAC Offensive Player of the Week by College Sports Madness for the Wyoming game... Named the National Freshman of the Week by Rivals.com for his performance in the season opener and near major upset at Auburn.

HIGH SCHOOL: A two-time all-District 15 5A selection, as well as Touchdown Club of Houston Offensive Player of the Year finalist and was named to Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine top 20 quarterbacks and top 300 players lists, as well as the publication's district preseason player of the year... Also named Sun Times Offensive Player of the Year... Led Cypress Creek (Texas) High School to the third round of the Texas 5A state playoffs by passing for 2,389 yards with 13 touchdowns on a 61 completion percentage, as well as rushing for 1,023 yards and 16 touchdowns as a senior... Totaled 1,366 passing yards with 10 touchdowns on 61 percent completion percentage, while rushing for 1,098 yards with 14 touchdowns as a junior... Was a two-time team captain... Also an all-district baseball player as a pitcher and center fielder... Also lettered on the track & field team, competing in hurdles, long jump and high jump... Member of the Cypress Creek HS PALS program.

Keeton isnt just from Texas, but SOUTH Texas in Houston. Interestingly Utah State beat Wake Forest and BYU this year.

EFFORT, pure EFFORT is the difference.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Utah State's true freshman QB from Rowlette Texas, Sasche HS.

HIGH SCHOOL: Was named the Texas Class 5A District 11 Most Valuable Player at quarterback as a prep senior at Sachse (Texas) High School as he led the Mustangs to an undefeated regular season and the District 11 Championship... During his senior season, he completed 243-of-344 passes (.706) for 3,522 yards with 42 touchdowns and just five interceptions, and rushed for 559 yards and 10 touchdowns... Was also named to the Texas Associated Press Sports Editors all-state honorable mention team and was awarded first-team Greater Dallas honors and second-team all-Metro accolades following his senior season as he had five 300-yard passing games, threw at least five touchdown passes in three different games, and rushed for over 100 yards twice... Was also named to the Texasfootball.com Region 2 Elite Super Team as a senior... Earned Texas Class 5A all-District 11 first-team honors following his junior season as he was 190-of-290 passing (.655) for 2,803 yards with 28 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and rushed for 1,202 yards on 163 carries (7.4 ypc) with 17 touchdowns... As a sophomore, he rushed for 174 yards and two touchdowns, while returning 22 kicks for 339 yards (15.4 ypr) and four touchdowns... Also played shortstop on the Sachse baseball team and earned Texas Class 5A all-District 11 first-team honors as a junior as he had a .340 batting average, while hitting four doubles and scoring 21 runs, while posting 13 runs batted in... Earned Texas Class 5A all-District 11 second-team honors in baseball as a sophomore and honorable mention honors as a freshman... Was a member of the Beta Club Honor Society.

Uh, this kid they grabbed out from under us this past February was thrown to the wolves midway through this season and finished with 800 yards passing on 74 of 107 attempts and 2 INT's, and 5 TD's. He also finished with 310 yards rushing on 41 attempts and 4 TD's.

Yup, freshmen can't be expected to start.....and do well.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2