Skladany to retire at end of season

Green Crazy

I'm for finding the best guy out there at the price we can afford.

Muschamp promoted from within and that kind of hurt him. Need quality coaches. If we can't find long-term quality, let's get them for a couple years as they make their way up. Let's get the next Clint Bowen.

This means, of course, that we need Danny Mac to find the next guy. That he got Skladany the first time gives me hope.

Sorry to hear it, but I wish Coach Skladany a happy retirement. We've been blessed to have him at DC.

The timing of Skladany's retirement is a bit concerning. I hope this has nothing to do with him looking at what he has coming back/in next year and deciding its a good time to hang em up...

Coach Mac has been at least hinting at this even before the season began. We pretty much knew it was coming. Still hate to hear it.

• Upvote 1

Skladany was a great DC for his time at UNT. He'll be missed for sure.

Let's be real about all of this, though. The new DC will probably be someone McCarney has worked with in the past (not necessarily a bad thing: look at Skladany), and will probably come from a place we wouldn't even think about.

Challenge to this board: Comb through Defensive coaches that McCarney has worked with in any capacity, widdle that down list by those who are either at G5 schools, OR are at P5 schools currently in lower-than-coordinator positions, and cross reference that probably small list with teams that had decently successful seasons last year and this year. There you'll find the short list of candidates.

Shouldn't be hard to do all of that.

• Upvote 1

Very good coach, we'll miss him.

I don't know how Noah Joseph would perform as a DC, but I sure would like him on the recruiting trail for us again.

He was Co-Defensive coordinator at Montana State before arriving at NT. And from what I understand knows Sklads system inside and out.

He's a safeties coach at IU - not sure what a safeties coach makes there - however Mike Ekeler was the safeties coach & Co-Defensive Coordinator there prior to Noah and his salary was about $120k - Sklads salary here as DC is about $190...

Seems like the kind of deal where a guy could come in and prove his mettle for 2-3 years and move on up to DC at a major program or HC somewhere like us and make some decent coin while doing it.

*Post Script - in looking at some numbers I have conflicting salaries for Mike Ekeler - one reported in a newspaper was $120k range another Im seeing on a 247 sports page is $300k. Brandon Shelby the cornerbacks coach makes $150k per the 247 website. I'd wager Joseph is in that $150k range.

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 1

This.

If KU's new HC decides to hang onto him as the DC, then no, we're not going to win that battle. But if he's kicking cans on the street, or could come back and be the DC (and probably the HC-in-waiting), why not?

Why head coach in waiting? I remember MAC saying he and Skaldany " would ride off into the sunset together". No time like the present for the next " fresh start".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I'm still holding out hope for the big fish. Which is why I penned a letter to Will Muschamp, extolling the virtues of our great university and the tremendous opportunity that awaits him in Denton, TX.

Ha, that is classic. The part about "door closing"/"window opening" had me rolling.

• Upvote 1

I'm still holding out hope for the big fish. Which is why I penned a letter to Will Muschamp, extolling the virtues of our great university and the tremendous opportunity that awaits him in Denton, TX.

Come to our window. Then help us turn our window into a door. Be our general contractor. Let’s open that door to greatness and walk through it together.

are the quickest way to get +1's on this site, and I have no idea why.

• Upvote 4

I am officially announcing my candidacy for the Defensive Coordinator position at the University of North Texas. If you vote for me, I will make all your wildest dreams come true.

Part of my platform is that I promise to only contribute half of my campaign funds into negative ads and mudslinging. The other half of my campaign donations will go to party burritos and tacos from Taco Bueno. Of which, I will then make an agreement with Taco Bueno that for everyone in attendance will get a free taco or burrito from Taco Bueno if we win by more than 1 point.

We do get voted into these positions by the fans right?

I really miss Taco Bueno. They don't have that junk in Boise.

• Upvote 4