Can someone please tell Mac...

meangreen15

I can't understand how you guys cannot grasp the fact that the playbook has to be dumbed-down because we don't have any QBs/WRs(sans Harris) who can run the full-bore playbook effectively. Thankfully, we have a big road-grading OL and some good RBs (and a diamond being polished before our eyes in Wilson). So, you run the ball, ALOT to take advantage of your strengths. Problem is, the opposing defenses know our strengths, and gameplan against it (except FAU, I don't know what they were doing). Our weaknesses are so weak, we cannot overcome them.

You guys saw the offense during DT's last 2 years when he could be trusted to drive the bus, right? Lots of creativity. Lots of explosive plays. Spreading the ball around. Even rush/pass playcalls, Chancellor was dependable, Smith was dependable, a young Harris was coming on... The playbook could be opened up.

Now, IF the qb can get the ball to the WRs, 1/2 the time, the ball is dropped. The other 1/2 the time, it's going to Harris.

And for DW, it's not just the TD to INT ratio... remember the fumbles too? Also, any stat accrued during the Nicholls game should be thrown out. They're totally meaningless because the level of competition was just terrible. This leaves Indiana & UAB. Those were atrocious games for DW.

Right now, the best option we have is the guy we dreaded in the spring. He's the best option, and he can't get the job done. We have to play ultra-conservatively because we cannot trust him.

But, you still play to win the game. Every Game. No opening up the playbook to "work on" next year at the detriment of trying to win the game today.

Excellent observations. I just don't believe the entire coaching staff magically forgot eveything they have learned over decades of experience.

And I find it telling that no one with any actual connection with the team - family, etc., - is suggesting the coaches are all wrong and DW deserves more playing time. No one. And I don't believe the coaching staff is better than the White House at plugging leaks. If there was any significant disagreement it would come out someplace.

The painful truth is we are having a bad year and there are no good options to make it better available right now.

• Upvote 3

I can't understand how you guys cannot grasp the fact that the playbook has to be dumbed-down because we don't have any QBs/WRs(sans Harris) who can run the full-bore playbook effectively. Thankfully, we have a big road-grading OL and some good RBs (and a diamond being polished before our eyes in Wilson). So, you run the ball, ALOT to take advantage of your strengths. Problem is, the opposing defenses know our strengths, and gameplan against it (except FAU, I don't know what they were doing). Our weaknesses are so weak, we cannot overcome them.

You guys saw the offense during DT's last 2 years when he could be trusted to drive the bus, right? Lots of creativity. Lots of explosive plays. Spreading the ball around. Even rush/pass playcalls, Chancellor was dependable, Smith was dependable, a young Harris was coming on... The playbook could be opened up.

Now, IF the qb can get the ball to the WRs, 1/2 the time, the ball is dropped. The other 1/2 the time, it's going to Harris.

And for DW, it's not just the TD to INT ratio... remember the fumbles too? Also, any stat accrued during the Nicholls game should be thrown out. They're totally meaningless because the level of competition was just terrible. This leaves Indiana & UAB. Those were atrocious games for DW.

Right now, the best option we have is the guy we dreaded in the spring. He's the best option, and he can't get the job done. We have to play ultra-conservatively because we cannot trust him.

But, you still play to win the game. Every Game. No opening up the playbook to "work on" next year at the detriment of trying to win the game today.

So then why in 4 years of recruiting has DMac and Crew not recruited the players that can use the full playbook? Understand Yr 1 and maybe 2 but not by Year 4+

• Downvote 1

nly

Most of us already understand this. McNulty hasn't turned the ball over at the rate Williams did.

However, the problem is, as stated before, none of the current top three on the depth chart are FBS quarterbacks. Greer did well against SMU, so he'd probably fare well in FCS or DII ball.

Ditto Williams. We already know he looks great against very poor FCS competition; but. he might also be serviceable against better FCS competition. Likely would do well in DII.

McNulty, he's just not good at FBS level either. If he gets his degree, he can transfer and play another year somewhere, probably FCS as well.

And, like I've written before, there's no shame in having the talent to play DII or FCS ball. But, the FBS level - even the crappy competition of the C-USun Belt - is too fast paced for our top three on the depth chart.

I want to add a very clear addendum here: I hope the Means is better than McNulty, Williams, and Greer. But, again, that's just hope. There really is no tangible reason to believe he is or will be at this point. So...

...I will have very serious reservations about McCarney's tenure if we do not sign at least two more QBs in the winter and/or spring. Football is a team sports. But, this football team currently is sorely lacking in the QB talent department. If McCarney can't see/admit that, it is a huge problem.

Let me allow another route as well, though, because of McCarney's relationship with McNulty's family: if he does graduate, encourage him to take up coaching; perhaps, make him a grad assistant or use a connection to help get him a grad assistant position somewhere.

There is no shame is trying as hard as McNulty did. We will always remember that first TD in Apogee as a fine moment in Mean Green sports. But, at some point, you admit that moment was one moment in time and that it's high time to get on down the road of trying to find a better QB to lead the team in 2015.

Church.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Meangreentexan...Im still trying to understand the "road-grating OL"statement.

On paper, we were supposed to have one. It was supposed to ease the transistion for a new qb. Our run has been shut down and qb is under pressure.

I know. I know. 8 in the box. But we put 8 in the box too. And our defense didnt stop teams from running over us.

UTEP showed us what we should look like on offense and defense...and save the DL size arguement...our DL is probably bigger.

Teams we play run blitz us to death. We rarely blitz, we actually never blitz. So, yeah, we have 8 on the box but with no scheme in place so our undersized DL us sitting in our Lb's laps instead of having a LB shoot a gap in an obvious running play. That is the difference of our 8 "in the box" and opposing teams "8 in the box." It's a night and day difference.

As far as having to dumb down the playbook, yes and no. For McNulty it has seemed dumbed down, but for DW it seemed more complex. We need to run an under center offense for DW and let his athleticism improvise when necessary. Called runs aren't going to consistently work for him bc 1. He's underweight 2. Defenses are keying on him.

Also, we can't blame not one QB on this roster for how this season has played out. They got recruited out of HS and accepted the offer put on the table by our current coaching staff. The lack of talent from our QB stable are not the QB's fault, it's the coaching staffs fault. Bad recruiting = bad football.

Teams we play run blitz us to death. We rarely blitz, we actually never blitz. So, yeah, we have 8 on the box but with no scheme in place so our undersized DL us sitting in our Lb's laps instead of having a LB shoot a gap in an obvious running play. That is the difference of our 8 "in the box" and opposing teams "8 in the box." It's a night and day difference.

As far as having to dumb down the playbook, yes and no. For McNulty it has seemed dumbed down, but for DW it seemed more complex. We need to run an under center offense for DW and let his athleticism improvise when necessary. Called runs aren't going to consistently work for him bc 1. He's underweight 2. Defenses are keying on him.

Also, we can't blame not one QB on this roster for how this season has played out. They got recruited out of HS and accepted the offer put on the table by our current coaching staff. The lack of talent from our QB stable are not the QB's fault, it's the coaching staffs fault. Bad recruiting = bad football.

I partially agree with this, especially when it comes to Greer.

As far as McNulty, we all know the backstory.

So, that brings us to Williams, who may or may not be lacking in talent. Williams' problem hasn't been what the coaches have or haven't done - it's been what he has and hasn't done. If he doesn't transfer, he owes it to himself to go ahead and make the sacrifices it takes to be a QB at this level. Can he do it? The two years already passed say, no.

But, if he can get his mind right, he probably can do well. At this point, it's going to be more on him that it is the coaches - they can't watch game film, study the playbook, lift weights, and take charge of the locker room for him. He'll be in his third year of college ball no matter where he is in 2015; it's on him, one way or the other.

So is it bad recruiting or bad coaching...or a little of both? I agree about our 8 in the box. Thats coaching. How do we know what a player is capable of with bad coaching.

I still dont know what dajon can do and the coaches dont either. We know he looks great against scrubs and 2 teamers. Looks bad on the road against decent teams. What about at home against the FAUs and USMs?

I cant comment on recruiting until I see some decent coaching. Once I see decent coaching, and players failing, then I can start questioning the talent.

You can hear it in the announcers voice on how they are confused at what we do at times.

There is no way that McNulty isn't the starter next year. We will be sold hard that "McNulty is a lot like Derek Thompson was at this stage of his career. You know, Derek? The guy who led us to 9 wins and was MVP of the HoD Bowl in front of 40,000 fans at the Cotton Bowl on New Years Day? JUst like Thompson, McNulty is very smart, he knows the playbook, and he won't turn the ball over. "

This is as easy to see happening as to hear RV telling us that SMU is a really just a 6th home game because of all of the UNT alumni and fanbase situated within an hour of SMUs campus.

I think you will see the following in 2015--Dajon will be playing at an FCS somewhere, Greer will either do that, too, or will be sitting on the bench, Means will be your backup (since he is just too damn young to be trusted with this offense), and McNulty will be your starter. I don't how anyone can look at Dan McCarney's time here and think anything else. There is no way he isn't the starter here next year. He started DT over Berglund, when the ceiling for Berglund was supposed to be the sky (he was a bust). He now starts McNulty over Dajon because DW lost any faith Mac ever had in him after that UAB debacle. I've posted this several times, but it was as clear as day to me that DW would never start another football game here--and he hasn't. He should've never been benched, period, but he has burned the birdge with McCarney so bad that he won't even get a sniff again, ever.

2015 is dependent on two things and they are what you should always expect out of our team when we have a decent team--we run the ball well and we defend well. If we go back to next year still not being able to stop anyone or put pressure on the QB, we win maybe 4 games. If we cannot even try to give the other teams' defenses a reason to not put 9 people in the box, we will win about 3 games. This year is our 2005 redux season--we went 2-9 after a solid year, with poor QB play and a defense that had lost all of its playmakers and replaced them with parts that never became anything special. The following season, in 2006, we went 3-9, including what felt like a 75-OT win that would have been better off being a tie to put everyone out of their misery. If McNulty is your QB, the defense isn't anything better, and the special teams don't set us apart from the other teams, I don't see us doing anything but going 3-9 next season, at best. The real question is if this year is the bottoming out season, if next year is the bottoming out, or if we go full-bore into a Dickey-and-Dodge-esque dive again. One thing is certain, though--McCarney will be here for all of it, no matter what.

Defense had it's ups and down - mostly downs - but, many here warned about replacing six of the seven front seven, okay? In addition, we lost Trice at safety, who was a playmaker at this competition level. That's seven starters lost from defense; and, many expected no drop off. It wasn't realistic.

Now, McCarney...say what you will about him, but he didn't downplay any of it. He talked like we'd still be winning, and that's fine. It shows that he expected the young guys to step up and deliver. They didn't.

But, you know what? Those seven new starter on defense are not going to be new anymore in 2015. All will have a full year under their belt, another off season of workout, another round of spring ball, another long, hot summer of conditioning, another eight months of game film of conference opponents to study.

I think many people got overheated about our 2013 success. But, reality is what it is. We are not an OU/Alabama automatic re-loading team, okay> We don't have a roster full of 4- and 5-star players sitting in the second and third rows of the depth chart.

(Say what you will about the starts, but the programs who get the highest rated player still finish better year after year.)

Quarterback...we had a bunch of people who thought it was a automatic pilot-type of position because they lack enough football understanding to appreciate what a talent we had in Derek Thompson. And, character to go along with his talent. That counted more than they thought.

Some of the crazier among us actually thought we'd be better off without Derek. Which is fine. Some people also believe aliens landed on this planet in New Mexico at some point as well.

You can't just plug in anyone at quarterback. Derek had experience, knowledge, and talent enough to break many records at this school. We tried three guys to replace him this year and all three failed...and, failed woefully.

The 2015 season will be different. I don't think there is any possible way the quarterback next year can be is bad as Greer, Williams, and McNulty were this year. So, there's nowhere to go but up. The defense will be more experienced. And, the special teams has been solid, and should be again with the deep snapper, kicker, and punter all returning.

So, cheer up.

• Upvote 1

Quarterback...we had a bunch of people who thought it was a automatic pilot-type of position because they lack enough football understanding to appreciate what a talent we had in Derek Thompson. And, character to go along with his talent. That counted more than they thought.

Some of the crazier among us actually thought we'd be better off without Derek. Which is fine. Some people also believe aliens landed on this planet in New Mexico at some point as well.

You can't just plug in anyone at quarterback. Derek had experience, knowledge, and talent enough to break many records at this school. We tried three guys to replace him this year and all three failed...and, failed woefully.

The 2015 season will be different. I don't think there is any possible way the quarterback next year can be is bad as Greer, Williams, and McNulty were this year. So, there's nowhere to go but up. The defense will be more experienced. And, the special teams has been solid, and should be again with the deep snapper, kicker, and punter all returning.

So, cheer up.

What you, and others fail to mention when talking about 2014 QB expectations, EVERYONE assumed we would have solid OLine play. That was supposed to be our all CUSA unit. When the rankings came out, it was all based on our veteran OLine and our running game.

The OLine and the running game has flopped. No one would have predicted any success from this team had we known the OLine would not be dominant like we thought.

Wait, aliens didn't land in New Mexico?

We have a losing record next year if a QB isn't found that currently isn't on this roster. We lose in blowout fashion if a new OC isn't found. I have a hard time buying into this coaching staff. Recruiting is essential and they can't do it. They just can't. Oh well, I'll just become a veteran Mean Green fan/alum and climb into a hole and hide.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wait, aliens didn't land in New Mexico?

We have a losing record next year if a QB isn't found that currently isn't on this roster. We lose in blowout fashion if a new OC isn't found. I have a hard time buying into this coaching staff. Recruiting is essential and they can't do it. They just can't. Oh well, I'll just become a veteran Mean Green fan/alum and climb into a hole and hide.

3r4tht.jpg

• Upvote 2

Defense had it's ups and down - mostly downs - but, many here warned about replacing six of the seven front seven, okay? In addition, we lost Trice at safety, who was a playmaker at this competition level. That's seven starters lost from defense; and, many expected no drop off. It wasn't realistic.

Now, McCarney...say what you will about him, but he didn't downplay any of it. He talked like we'd still be winning, and that's fine. It shows that he expected the young guys to step up and deliver. They didn't.

But, you know what? Those seven new starter on defense are not going to be new anymore in 2015. All will have a full year under their belt, another off season of workout, another round of spring ball, another long, hot summer of conditioning, another eight months of game film of conference opponents to study.

I think many people got overheated about our 2013 success. But, reality is what it is. We are not an OU/Alabama automatic re-loading team, okay> We don't have a roster full of 4- and 5-star players sitting in the second and third rows of the depth chart.

(Say what you will about the starts, but the programs who get the highest rated player still finish better year after year.)

So, cheer up.

So are we going to get beat up about DT for the entire offseason? I mean as if the travesty of this season isn't enough punishment in itself....ugh

So are we going to get beat up about DT for the entire offseason? I mean as if the travesty of this season isn't enough punishment in itself....ugh

I love Derek Thompson the quarterback, almost as much as Derek Thompson the man. He is the biggest thing to come out of Glen Rose since dinosaur footprints. I would almost prefer we not speak of him by name any more, but maybe just think of him sometime when the yearning for a downfield pass comes along.

• Upvote 2

So then why in 4 years of recruiting has DMac and Crew not recruited the players that can use the full playbook? Understand Yr 1 and maybe 2 but not by Year 4+

I never said anything about recruiting.

Certainly a weakness, but blaming the coaching for not recruiting the type of players to run their whole playbook VS blaming the coaches for dumbing down the playbook so their personnel can use it... 2 completely different things.

People are saying we need to open up the playbook. Maybe if we had the right pieces (recruiting), we could. But with the current personnel, in order to have the best chance to win, we must play with a conservative playbook. That's all I'm saying.

Meangreentexan...Im still trying to understand the "road-grating OL"statement.

On paper, we were supposed to have one. It was supposed to ease the transistion for a new qb. Our run has been shut down and qb is under pressure.

I know. I know. 8 in the box. But we put 8 in the box too. And our defense didnt stop teams from running over us.

UTEP showed us what we should look like on offense and defense...and save the DL size arguement...our DL is probably bigger.

The OL is friggin huge, and when rushing, can usually get push and open holes for our RBs.

When the other team stacks the box, we need to pass out of that to get them to back up. We simply cannot do that dependably with our QBs/WRs(sans Harris). So we're always running into the stacked box.

The QB is under pressure because he holds onto the ball F-O-R-E-V-E-R, and backpedals into a sack rather than stepping up into the pocket to buy an extra second (even if he had 1 extra second, he'll hold it for 3).

Agree wholeheartedly that the OL flopped. Although, I think bad quarterback play and bad line play go hand in hand.

Linemen can't hold out defenders forever. So, having Greer and Williams both unable to release the ball quickly made the line look bad. And, once an opposing defensive coordinator knows your quarterback can't read your coverages and make quick decisions, it becomes easy for him to gamble both with more blitzing and with moving safeties into the box to help kill the run.

Thus, I'd say the bad line play is a push. You can only do so much if your quarterbacks are bad. And, our best three are really bad...for this level. I think they'd all be fine stepping down a notch in competition. And, I think Williams would be okay if he'd just get his head into what it really takes to play the position.

From my perspective, all of DW's turn-overs are correctable with coaching and experience (two things he apparently isn't getting much of this year). They were not due to a fundamental lack of skill or athletic ability. I'll take an aggressive mistake every now and then - even pro quarterbacks try to thread a needle at times or throw to a wide-open defender they didn't see.
As far as "knowing the playbook," I would rather see DW ad lib and make things up as he goes instead of what we've be watching. We may still lose, but at least it would be entertaining.
  • Upvote 2

From my perspective, all of DW's turn-overs are correctable with coaching and experience (two things he apparently isn't getting much of this year). They were not due to a fundamental lack of skill or athletic ability. I'll take an aggressive mistake every now and then - even pro quarterbacks try to thread a needle at times or throw to a wide-open defender they didn't see.
As far as "knowing the playbook," I would rather see DW ad lib and make things up as he goes instead of what we've be watching. We may still lose, but at least it would be entertaining.

Apparently keith and I are soul brothers.

I don't mean we both love to eat hot links, then again who the hell doesn't like to eat hot links, I mean we agree 100% on this. Football soul brothers, if you will.

• Upvote 4

Apparently keith and I are soul brothers.

I don't mean we both love to eat hot links, then again who the hell doesn't like to eat hot links, I mean we agree 100% on this. Football soul brothers, if you will.

This is what I think as well. A couple of weeks after DW threw his last pick against UAB I saw a top-10 NFL QB commit the same mistake - think it was either Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees in the Sunday Night game. It happens. I would rather coach the player up, try to avoid it happening again rather than banishing the player to the bench for the rest of his season/career at UNT.

The stubbornness and conservativeness of Mac and the atrocious playcalling from Canales is the most upsetting aspect of this season to me.