I absolutely forgot...

Ben Gooding

6 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

No way Fine sees the field last year. Mac would never have allowed it.

Mac would've never allowed Peyton Manning to see the field last year.

nepotism.gif

6 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

For three quarters, the defense actually looked like the 2013 team. But when the offense can't hold onto the ball for more than two minutes, it was bound to happen. Now that we finally have a decent QB, and as long as our receivers start catching passes, we should be 1-0 after Saturday.

bingo.gif?1469078145

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

For three quarters, the defense actually looked like the 2013 team. But when the offense can't hold onto the ball for more than two minutes, it was bound to happen. Now that we finally have a decent QB, and as long as our receivers start catching passes, we should be 1-0 after Saturday.

Absolutely the case. Defense came to play, and we got great field position to start the game. Mac followed with run up the gut, run up the gut, incomplete, and Field Goal. How deflating to start with. The defense wore down as they were on the field the entire game and were chasing Matt Davis all over the place. McNulty played horrific, and we had trouble running the ball, yet were still in the game!

I would bet anything that I have that this coaching staff will not start off in an opportune position like last years game and try to run the fullback through the 2 hole two plays in a row.... We could (and SHOULD) have stepped on their neck right then and there. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Mac would've never allowed Peyton Manning to see the field last year.

nepotism.gif

Technically your formula dictates that Peyton would have played, since daddy on this case is legendary Archie Manning. But we got your point. ;)

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

I've been avoiding most of the football forum, but figured since the dude was in the +90s, things were improving. Good to know the bar is really just that much lower across the board. 

Not sure what was confusing. According to Littrell, it's a simple offensive system that doesn't even have a playbook. It allows them to play faster without thinking, unlike the old system. It just sounds like the right thing to say that Littrell is only in his first year and Morris is in his second year. To me, that doesn't weigh as much in this scenario. Also, a lot of these guys played in a spread high octane offense in high school so the general concepts will be easier for them to grasp due to that. Not sure how this doesn't make sense. 

• Downvote 3

34 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

You guys are gonna get in big trouble for criticizing Mac and McNulty. Big Brother is always watching

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Calling out a player for poor performance is one thing.  Calling them a joke, questioning their character or parentage, etc is just way out of line.

Not saying your post did that (Hell, I don't even remember if I am the one who chastised, it all runs together)  but I was just getting tired of the dogpiles on our fellow alumni.

Like I have said before:

If a player is working his ass off and doing what he needs to do in the classroom and in preparation then we owe him nothing but respect.  If he doesn't have the skills to be a top player, DON'T BLAME HIM IT'S THE COACHES FAULT.  

The player is just someone who decided to come here, to work hard for a scholarship, and who tries to represent out school with pride.  The coaches are employees who will leave us at the first better offer.  If they can't recruit the right talent, or teach that talent, jump all over them.  They deserve it, we pay them a lot of money to do the job correctly.  

AT THE END OF THE DAY, we'll forget that phrase if SL doesn't win.  But an alumni is always an alumni.  

We paid millions of dollars to Mac, why not hold him accountable, not a fellow alumni who by all reports busted his ass to do his best for the university?  If he wasn't talented enough, the blame should go to the coaches for not recruiting, training and placing the best player possible out there.  

Dog pile mac all you want.  He walked away with a ton of money while nose diving us even deeper than Dodge did.  

54 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Absolutely the case. Defense came to play, and we got great field position to start the game. Mac followed with run up the gut, run up the gut, incomplete, and Field Goal. How deflating to start with. The defense wore down as they were on the field the entire game and were chasing Matt Davis all over the place. McNulty played horrific, and we had trouble running the ball, yet were still in the game!

I would bet anything that I have that this coaching staff will not start off in an opportune position like last years game and try to run the fullback through the 2 hole two plays in a row.... We could (and SHOULD) have stepped on their neck right then and there. 

Actually it was three straight Andrew Tucker runs. i guess he was so frightened of #5 turning it over in the red zone that he went with the safe play. Everything else you said I agree with.

52 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Technically your formula dictates that Peyton would have played, since daddy on this case is legendary Archie Manning. But we got your point. ;)

haha, well said.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not sure what was confusing. According to Littrell, it's a simple offensive system that doesn't even have a playbook. It allows them to play faster without thinking, unlike the old system. It just sounds like the right thing to say that Littrell is only in his first year and Morris is in his second year. To me, that doesn't weigh as much in this scenario. Also, a lot of these guys played in a spread high octane offense in high school so the general concepts will be easier for them to grasp due to that. Not sure how this doesn't make sense. 

I will disagree.  A lack of playbook can actually require more time.  With no playbook, the only way to learn the plays is through repetition.  With a playbook, plays can be learned both through repetition and book study.  

7 minutes ago, Aldo said:

OMG IT'S NOT LITERALLY "NO PLAYBOOK"

*face falls into bowl of soup after aneurysm* 

Maybe not, but the general sentiment is that it allows guys to grasp what needs to be done and allows them to play faster. They probably do have some laminated piece of paper to grasp formations and route concepts for the skill guys and blocking schemes for the big guys. 

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Maybe not, but the general sentiment is that it allows guys to grasp what needs to be done and allows them to play faster. They probably do have some laminated piece of paper to grasp formations and route concepts for the skill guys and blocking schemes for the big guys. 

For the most part.

• You have a limited number of formations.
  • Based on the defense, you can run different plays or concepts out of the same formation, like Y-Stick vs Smash plus Divide.
  • Based on the defense, you can package a play like Y-Stick and turn into a read, where you can run the option or a QB draw.

The QB will be reacting based on defensive keys post-snap.

43 minutes ago, Aldo said:

OMG IT'S NOT LITERALLY "NO PLAYBOOK"

*face falls into bowl of cereal after aneurysm* 

I don't know about Littrell, but there are coaches including Art Briles and Dino Babers that do not have physical playbooks.  Of course they have plays, so if you want to call the mental collection of plays a "playbook" that's your choice.  But in that case, figuratively they may have one, but literally they don't.

10 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Ya, that's when I started chanting "throw the ball" on 3rd down. So F'n predictable. 

Did we even make the field goal? I can't recall.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1