OK first list was too young -- how about these?

Harry

His resume is thin. He served one 8-5 season as Houston's OC and one season as UTSA's OC a few years earlier. I can't even figure out what he's doing at the Bills.

I just think he wasn't given enough time to implement what he wanted to do. He's a dang good coach. At the very least, I'd consider him for the OC position. And, I believe, he's the assistant RB's coach under Anthony Lynn. 

• Downvote 1

No way he's going to be the head coach at The U unless he starts over and gets a FBS HC gig and wins quite a bit.  He didn't do enough at FIU to get that job and believe he was considered but they chose Al Golden instead. 

Agree to disagree. He's so plugged into the South Florida scene and would absolutely clean up there recruiting wise. Still yet, I don't think he's a candidate here. 

Agree to disagree. He's so plugged into the South Florida scene and would absolutely clean up there recruiting wise. Still yet, I don't think he's a candidate here. 

Oh I don't doubt he's not plugged in but Miami has been stagnant for darn near a decade if not longer.  I can't see them taking a shot at Cristobal or someone like him just yet if they move on from Al Golden but I could definitely be wrong.

How will we get any better? Arkansas State certainly has moved up the pole being a stepping stone, am I right?

Arkansas State has been to a bowl game for four years in a row, a span that includes back-to-back 10 win seasons and three conference championships.

Would you rather have their football program or ours?

And they are still in the Sun Belt pulling 23,000 a game. Time to stop thinking small.

How is it thinking small to want a coach to do so well here that bigger schools want to hire him?

Arkansas State is doing better for itself in football in a city of 70,000 with an enrollment of 14,000 than we're doing in DFW with an enrollment of 37,000.

The biggest reason they're still in the Sun Belt and we're one tier up in CUSA is because we're in the 6th biggest TV market (2.5 million TV homes). They're in the 181st (80,000).

Pulling 23,000 a game in their population area is pretty amazing.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1

And they are still in the Sun Belt pulling 23,000 a game. Time to stop thinking small.

I know you're upset because the Astros blew their chance at going to the ALCS yesterday, but your negativity is pissing me off. I'd love for a young coach to come here, have great success for a couple years and move on to a bigger program. At the very least, it would end the perception that it's impossible to win at UNT. And once the first coach leaves, we'd have our pick of almost any P5 coordinator who wants to make the jump to HC.

So what they're saying is ... let's hire somebody who's already been run off from elsewhere.

To be honest, the entire national coaching pool is pretty small based on what I've read on the board today:

• Dudes who got fired from Texas schools
  • Young assistants I recognize as former players in the region
  • Out-of-touch, disgraced old men
  • Coaches I kind of remember from the Belt
  • Random small Texas school assistants/JUCO guys
  • Maybe 1-2 other guys tops.

Seems like we have some tough decisions ahead.

• Upvote 2

To be honest, the entire national coaching pool is pretty small based on what I've read on the board today:

• Dudes who got fired from Texas schools
  • Young assistants I recognize as former players in the region
  • Out-of-touch, disgraced old men
  • Coaches I kind of remember from the Belt
  • Random small Texas school assistants/JUCO guys
  • Maybe 1-2 other guys tops.

Seems like we have some tough decisions ahead.

I honestly don't know why Zombie Darrell Royal has not come up yet.  Seems like a no-brainer if you ask me. :Bazinga:

• Upvote 1

...and that's what I'm concerned about.

We've seen the majority of hiring decisions based on this model in the past, so help us insane committee of who knows how many people. You're our only hope.

So what they're saying is ... let's hire somebody who's already been run off from elsewhere.

Someone who had success but couldn't keep it going. They've proven they can do it and hopefully will learn form those mistakes. It didn't work out well with McCarney but he's an old school guy dug heavily into his ways.  It's a crapshoot but a better way to go, IMO than to someone who's done nothing but constantly in Texan's wet dreams like Major Applewhite.

Someone who had success but couldn't keep it going. They've proven they can do it and hopefully will learn form those mistakes. It didn't work out well with McCarney but he's an old school guy dug heavily into his ways.  It's a crapshoot but a better way to go, IMO than to someone who's done nothing but constantly in Texan's wet dreams like Major Applewhite.

• Kendal Briles -- offensive coordinator/play-caller of the No. 2 team in the nation
  • Sonny Cumbie -- co-offensive coordinator of the No. 3 team in the nation
  • Jake Spavital -- offensive coordinator/play-caller of the No. 9 team in the nation

Give me that over another retread.

The real question is would any of those young guys actually be interested.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If they can win here, they can win anywhere, which kinda goes back to the stepping stone concern.

Why is there a stepping stone concern?

No G5 school is a final destination, unless that final destination is fired into retirement. That's just the way it is.

If y'all are looking for somebody to do well and stay here 15 years, then I don't know what to tell you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

stability/consistency

But I guess I don't know what stability and consistency even is

I get where you are going, but unless there is an alum that is coaching that views this as their dream job, then we are going to just be a stepping stone to other jobs and that should be our goal. If we can get a couple of coaches to land better gigs after being here, then we become a destination for up and coming coaches. That plan has worked well for other programs and it can work here.

• Upvote 1

I get where you are going, but unless there is an alum that is coaching that views this as their dream job, then we are going to just be a stepping stone to other jobs and that should be our goal. If we can get a couple of coaches to land better gigs after being here, then we become a destination for up and coming coaches. That plan has worked well for other programs and it can work here.

I half agree. I think we need to prove that coaches can win here. We are literally starting from the bottom.

Get a few coaches that use us as a stepping stone for a while. (a long term process, maybe 15-20 years? We're left starting from scratch so we are going to have to climb up).

But after that, the goal is to be able to get a guy that'll stick around because we are winning, and because we can get those recruits.

Your at least in your 30's...so you know it's now ok to simply say "NO" or "I disagree" like most adults...right?

Rick

Rick, you got lambasted for this post but I thought it was hilarious. We speak in meme’s now.  I am as guilty as anyone. 

Brad Smiley at TVCC name needs to be on this list.  Although, some will turn their nose up at JUCO, no better place to look and get a bunch of ego maniacs in line to play as a team.  TVCC seems to be doing that on a regular basis.  Plus, his OC has lit up the stats for three years running.

I like the idea of Brad Smiley.  The problem is he does not bring you any recruiting pop in his first two years.  One of the major reasons McCarney did not work out. 

• Upvote 2