so we're pretty much in the exact same position as last year...

golfingomez

Defense is not as good this year but our qb is better.

This point is key...I think this offense will be able to carry more of the load than last year's offense. The defense I still argue will be fine in conference play, but not dominant. offemse though, by the end of season, may be dominant

Yes. You watch much North Texas football the last 2-3 years with DT at the realm? It absolutely without a doubt about it could have happened with DT at QB. Go ahead and count me out how many 3 passing TD performances DT had on his career, let alone 5 combined TD performances; regardless of competition. I'll wait.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Yes. You watch much North Texas football the last 2-3 years with DT at the realm? It absolutely without a doubt about it could have happened with DT at QB. Go ahead and count me out how many 3 passing TD performances DT had on his career, let alone 5 combined TD performances; regardless of competition. I'll wait.

Two games with 3 passing TDs. One of them, ironically, gave DT a 1-0 career record vs. IU.

DT never played We Are Really Bad At Football.

If he had, we may have scored 100.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In response to the title of this thread:

The only way we are in the exact same position as last year is record.

Last year's team suffered only one blowout, and that was at Georgia, who was top 10 ranked at the time and who we played to a 21-21 tie halfway through the 3rd.

The other 2 losses were close games that we probably could have won with better play calling and Buyers and Jones in the lineup. We also had a quality win under our belt (Ball St., a subsequent bowl team).

This year we have beaten perhaps the worst team in FBS and perhaps the worst team in FCS (albeit badly, like we should have) and have gotten blown out by everyone else.

We are terribly inconsistent. I would not doubt that we blow out half the remaining teams on our schedule and got blown out by the other half.

So, no, we are not in the exact same position. Far from it...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hahahahahahha.

Wait...

Hahahahahahahaha.

Do you really think we are down 21-0 with one 1st down with DT back there?

Good God, man.

How would a redshirt freshman DT have fared in this game is the more accurate question UNT90. Dajon made some mistakes as all redshirt freshman do but he had a lot of bright moments as well.. I always hate to lose but the silver lining is that DW will only get better. And we need him to next week because UAB is going to be a tough game.

How would a redshirt freshman DT have fared in this game is the more accurate question UNT90. Dajon made some mistakes as all redshirt freshman do but he had a lot of bright moments as well.. I always hate to lose but the silver lining is that DW will only get better. And we need him to next week because UAB is going to be a tough game.

Oh, I agree. But to say DW is better right now than DT was last year is asinine.

DW is obviously the future, but he is going to make boneheaded RS freshmen mistakes like the pick on the 1st series.

People should just prepare for this to be a learning season for DW and our program.

And we need to recruit the QB position A LOT better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah...two 3 passing touchdown performances in DT's CAREER. DW has 2 already...after...2 starts. DW is LIGHT YEARS better than DT. Oh and this goes without saying but I am almost certain DT never had 5 td performance, regardless of competition.

Ps. DT doesn't need to be brought up any more. DW will crush whatever bar you people think he set. It's going to be embarrassing for you folks in the years coming.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

His td/int ratio is already better than DTs. If you want to count all season or just this game, either way.

All I'm hoping for is steady improvement every week. He is a RS freshman, there will be mistakes. As long as he learns from them, which I did see during this game. his first int was a ball he shouldn't of thrown while on the run, forcing it. For the rest of the game I didn't see anything like that. He threw the ball away when it was needed

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 2

DW right now is better than a red shirt senior.

I agree with you and I am frankly surprised to not hear more of this opinion. The kid has played in 2.1/4 games in his entire career and his poise is already very clear.

He is the Least of my worries, in fact I remain extremely excited about him.

My big worry is the defensive front 7, our offensive line and wide receivers.

Hahahahahahha.

Wait...

Hahahahahahahaha.

Do you really think we are down 21-0 with one 1st down with DT back there?

Good God, man.

Why would we not?

Did DT not throw bad interceptions... often?

Would DT have recovered that onside kick?

Would the coaches have trusted DT anymore than they did last season to open up the playbook?

If you're arguing that last years TEAM wouldn't have been down 21-0, I agree.

If we had nothing but DT from last year's team... the outcome is unchanged or worse... How many DT pick 6s had we seen at this point last year?

What some of you have turned DT into inside of your heads is nothing short of mindboggling.

Good God, old man.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 6

Of course the team is not the same as last year, but record wise it is.

Our offense looks like it could be much better than last year if they keep progressing. The two big problems with the team right now that were huge advantages last year are Special teams not making any big plays, and the defensive line getting swallowed up, which in turn swallows up the LB's which makes the defense not nearly as good.

I think the offense is in reload mode this year, the special teams too, the defense though is in rebuild mode.

Of course the team is not the same as last year, but record wise it is.

Our offense looks like it could be much better than last year if they keep progressing. The two big problems with the team right now that were huge advantages last year are Special teams not making any big plays, and the defensive line getting swallowed up, which in turn swallows up the LB's which makes the defense not nearly as good.

I think the offense is in reload mode this year, the special teams too, the defense though is in rebuild mode.

I basically agree, except that we really need to find some more weapons at WR.

• Upvote 1

Why would we not?

Did DT not throw bad interceptions... often?

Would DT have recovered that onside kick?

Would the coaches have trusted DT anymore than they did last season to open up the playbook?

If you're arguing that last years TEAM wouldn't have been down 21-0, I agree.

If we had nothing but DT from last year's team... the outcome is unchanged or worse... How many DT pick 6s had we seen at this point last year?

What some of you have turned DT into inside of your heads is nothing short of mindboggling.

Good God, old man.

Stupid kids believe DW is better RIGHT NOW than DT was last year. That was the post that started this conversation.

And no, DW doesn't throw that first pick and gets more than 1 first down in the 1st three possessions, you know, WHEN THE SCORE STILL MATTERED.

Children believe what their parents tell them. Your dad is wrong.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 3

DW right now is better than a red shirt senior.

I agree with you and I am frankly surprised to not hear more of this opinion. The kid has played in 2.1/4 games in his entire career and his poise is already very clear.

He is the Least of my worries, in fact I remain extremely excited about him.

I agree with these "children." This is the most excited I have ever been about a Mean Green QB. Scott Hall gave you that Joe Montana/Joe Cool feel. Dajon has IT also. He also also better on the run than Hall, and has a stronger arm.

What Dajon needs to work on is Hall's decision making (which I think will come with game experience) and with his touch. Hall was the master of dropping the ball in a bucket when the DB's cheated up.

For the first time since I have followed the program I see the potential in a QB to be THE weapon. Instead of being a master of using the pass to hurt a defense focused on the run, he can be a QB who can make the defense worry about the pass, and that will allow the run game to bloom.

He isn't there now, but he is a red shirt frosh.

• Upvote 1