Mac on ticket

UNT90

Damn....missed it.

Highlights?

They are still working to finalize the 2 deep

Has a lot of respect for Charlie Strong, thinks Texas will be way more physical this season

He thinks most of Texas' talent last year was underclassmen and they are all returning this year

He sticks by his run first philosophy, thinks it't the best way to win games

There is competition at deep snapper between Blake Dunham and Tony Johnson

He isn't wrong. And, if Canales doesn't like what the boss's philosophy, he's free to leave. This isn't Russia, is it?

Didn't say he was wrong, did I? Several on here (maybe even you) have said that Chico runs the offense the way he wants. It's pretty clear that is not the case. It should have been clear by viewing those 3 games that Chico was head coach and offensive coordinator.

I think ut and UNT may combine for 25 total passes on 08/30. Seriously.

• Upvote 1

I've never said Chico or McCarney run the offense. I don't care which one of them runs it as long as we keep winning.

If we win running 50 times or win passing 50 times...who cares? I thought winning was the important thing.

But, maybe we're looking at this thing two different ways. I don't play fantasy football, so whatever the stats are - running or passing - makes no difference to me. Maybe, you all are fantasy football guys.

I've already said, over and over, that I think the game is won on the lines, with a strong defense, and a special teams that plays error free, not giving the opponents freebie scores and good field position.

Mac seems to tend to agree.

• Upvote 2

If you go back to the boards of chico's past schools and ask them about Chico, they say he ran the ball too much and became predictable. Those games where he was the interim hc was Chico pulling out all the stops to try to one, get the job and two, help a subpar team win games they shouldn't. If he would of got the job, some on our board would be saying the same thing as the other schools.

I think Mac lays out a general idea of how he sees the game going and leaves it up to Chico to complete that vision.

I've never said Chico or McCarney run the offense. I don't care which one of them runs it as long as we keep winning.

If we win running 50 times or win passing 50 times...who cares? I thought winning was the important thing.

But, maybe we're looking at this thing two different ways. I don't play fantasy football, so whatever the stats are - running or passing - makes no difference to me. Maybe, you all are fantasy football guys.

I've already said, over and over, that I think the game is won on the lines, with a strong defense, and a special teams that plays error free, not giving the opponents freebie scores and good field position.

Mac seems to tend to agree.

Don't play fantasy football. Never have. Don't even care to understand it.

What I do know is that this type of offense has historically not succeeded when you play competition that has a huge recruiting advantage. It's one thing to run the ball down Rice's throat (which we have still yet to do, mind you) and running it down Texas's throat.

Silver made a very valid point in another thread. This program needs a program defining win. Running the ball (or trying to run the ball) against UT is not going to get you that program defining win.

You are right, that is the way games are won against equally talented teams. But Texas isn't equally talented. They pick whoever they want from the high school level. If we attempt to run it down their throats on 08/30, we score 3 points offensively. Maybe.

Like always, hope I'm wrong.

I was happy when Johnny Quinn was breaking receiving records in Darrell Dickey's boring, run-first offense. Those were fine winning and bowl seasons Dickey put together.

I enjoyed watching Derek Thompson break passing records in McCarney's boring, run-first offense.

You see a pattern there, or something? Run-first offenses where receiving and passing records are mysteriously broken? It's a thing that'll make you go, hmmm:

As far as Texas, they are in kind of a pickle. And, here is how I see the pickle:

(1) They kicked off/suspended many players
(2) Their QB position is unsettled
(3) They can't just show everything they've got against us for BYU and UCLA during the following two weeks

(4) They've only had spring and fall practices to learn new offensive and defensive schemes with many who were learning and expect to contribute subsequently being kicked off or suspended.

Their saving grace is that Charlie Strong does know defense. Beyond that, this really is a good chance for us to get up and bite them...just...I'd feel better about it if we hadn't lost so many starters from last year's squad.

• Upvote 1

Didn't say he was wrong, did I? Several on here (maybe even you) have said that Chico runs the offense the way he wants. It's pretty clear that is not the case. It should have been clear by viewing those 3 games that Chico was head coach and offensive coordinator.

I think ut and UNT may combine for 25 total passes on 08/30. Seriously.

Each team will at least throw the ball 20 times. Guaranteed.

2010 Interm Coach Chico Run to Pass Ratio - 62% to 38%

2013 OC Coach Chico Run to Pass Ratio - 56% to 44%

• Upvote 2

Each team will at least throw the ball 20 times. Guaranteed.

2010 Interm Coach Chico Run to Pass Ratio - 62% to 38%

2013 OC Coach Chico Run to Pass Ratio - 56% to 44%

Im still not understanding 90s point on when chico was the interim. He did not throw a lot. Dunbar ran for 941 yards in those 5 games. I was not watching. Maybe his point was he threw more on 1st down. Edited by GOMG2013

A good running game always sets up a great passing game. It also helps keep the defense off the field and keeps them rested for not only late in the game but as the season plays out. An extra 30-50 plays on the defense per season does add up and makes a huge difference. Having a balanced attack in College football is very important for the offense but for the defense as well.

Im still not understanding 90s point on when chico was the interim. He did not throw a lot. Dunbar ran for 941 yards in those 5 games. I was not watching. Maybe his point was he threw more on 1st down.

Kind of. The offense wasn't predictable. Even though we ran more.

The thing I took from those interim games with Chico was that the guys played with passion and fire I had not seen in years, and have rarely seen since. From whistle to whistel, they were knocking the crap out of opponents on every snap.

I honestly don't remember much about the schemes.

The thing I took from those interim games with Chico was that the guys played with passion and fire I had not seen in years, and have rarely seen since. From whistle to whistel, they were knocking the crap out of opponents on every snap.

I honestly don't remember much about the schemes.

Did you watch games last year?

• Upvote 1