Gear licensing. I still don't get it.

Stan R

I know we've all had this conversation before but I had an experience at Grapevine mills mall that irritated me so I'm going to rehash it.

I was looking at one of those standalone kiosks that sells, of all things, personalized grilling spatulas. Here's an assortment of what I can recall of the licensed options one could purchase:

Bazillion NFL teams

Sam Houston State

UTSA

TCU

SMU

All big 12 teams

Some small D1AA schools OUT OF STATE!

Anyone missing? Oh yeah, the biggest D1 football playing school in Dallas Fort Worth.

So I ask - where is North Texas. Her response "Oh yeah, (knew right away as if she gets asked this question all the time) We don't carry them, they aren't licensed."

Can someone please explain to me how Sam Fricking Houston State and UTSA have licensing but we don't?

• Upvote 3

So I ask - where is North Texas. Her response "Oh yeah, (knew right away as if she gets asked this question all the time) We don't carry them, they aren't licensed."

Well she's wrong. UNT is licensed through CLC. The real answer is that her company, or the suppliers that they buy from didn't wish to pay for the really expensive costs required to license through CLC... for NT merchandise. Obviously if they had other CLC licensees like Texas A&M they decided it was worth it to pay the license for their brand.

In response to how SHSU is licensed. They use a different licensing agent that I imagine has much lower costs that CLC.

The real question is why NT selected CLC, with its very high costs, over a smaller licensee.

Silver Eagle or FFR could write pages about this, but I imagine they are just too tired of going over it.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 3

Well she's wrong. UNT is licensed through CLC. The real answer is that her company, or the suppliers that they buy from didn't wish to pay for the really expensive costs required to license through CLC... for NT merchandise. Obviously if they had other CLC licensees like Texas A&M they decided it was worth it to pay the license for their brand.

Is that your final answer? Because - they felt it was worth it to license SHSU and UTSA but not us? I'm not buying it. Literally, I can't buy it.

• Upvote 1

Is that your final answer? Because - they felt it was worth it to license SHSU and UTSA but not us? I'm not buying it. Literally, I can't buy it.

Look at the follow up. Yes, they decided the high cost of a CLC license was worth it for expected aTm sales. They decided the low cost of SHSU licensing was worth it for expected SHSU sales.

They decided the high cost of CLC licensing was not worth it for expected NT sales.

Look at the follow up. Yes, they decided the high cost of a CLC license was worth it for expected aTm sales. They decided the low cost of SHSU licensing was worth it for expected SHSU sales.

They decided the high cost of CLC licensing was not worth it for expected NT sales.

OH! Ok I get it now, I skipped past the part where you said cost.. for NT merchandise. I didn't realize that the licensed cost is different for each school. I guess that makes sense then.

So whom is setting the cost so high?

I have to agree with you Stan, I don't buy it either. Especially Sam Houston State being in the mix, completely random smaller school then the University of North Texas. I even hate going into the college/pro sport stores at the mall, becuase they always have the the Texas, A&M, LSU, Tech, etc.. Then they have TCU. If you can put TCU in your store, "a smaller school with most likely less alumni in the DFW area". Why can you not put UNT? I know we have fans out there buying NT merchandise. That is definitely not an issue....

OH! Ok I get it now, I skipped past the part where you said cost.. for NT merchandise. I didn't realize that the licensed cost is different for each school. I guess that makes sense then.

So whom is setting the cost so high?

Each licensing agencies sets their prices and policies. I have been told that one of the major hurdles with CLC is that they require a million dollar product liability insurance policy in order to get a license. Now, if you expect to sell millions of aTm #12 shirts... no big deal.

If, however, you want to sell some bumper stickers, or even use the logo to make some of those shirts that were recently discussed on the forum that is obviously a huge barrier to entry.

Now since you can buy officially licensed NT CLC gear that means there are SOME vendors that find it worthwhile. But since that gear is hard to find, I think you have to assume that some vendors/manufactures are electing not to.

I personally know of two business that were interested in making NT gear, but the CLC costs were too high, for what they expected to make.

• Upvote 2

I remember the word a long time ago (probably before the CLC deal) was that the UNT Bookstore was refusing to license to vendors because it had this grandiose vision that they could keep sales flowing through the bookstore and profit more from that avenue.

Someone needed to be fired for that decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I remember the word a long time ago (probably before the CLC deal) was that the UNT Bookstore was refusing to license to vendors because it had this grandiose vision that they could keep sales flowing through the bookstore and profit more from that avenue.

Someone needed to be fired for that decision.

I heard it was because a mighty fire breathing dragon guarded the licensing paperwork in the bell works of McConnell Tower.

Someone needed to slay that dragon.

• Upvote 1

Why don't you do what i do and just make your own. I have a friend with a print shop and he has made me a few cool Polo shirts with both the SOW and interlocked NT on them.

Congrats. That's copyright infringement. Doesn't matter if a profit is being made or not.

Unless he has paid the CLC licensing fees.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

CLC licensing for North Texas is 10% per unit sold. The liability issue is about about $400 a year for insurance. For the 'local license' you are entitled to produce products for two universities in Texas with the exception of Texas and A&M...if the manufacturer does two schools (North Texas and Texas Tech as an example) they are getting two for the price of the $400 insurance policy. The North Texas 10% is about average for the licensed universities. If the manufacturer does two schools and manufacturers 500 units per school, they bring their insurance unit cost down. The two factors, as I see it, are their perception of poor volume for North Texas products, coupled by a non aggressive licensing strategy at the university. More athletic success breeds more recognition and perhaps more interest in North Texas products. I created the CLC agreement in the late 80's and contacted my CLC representative regularly to keep North Texas in the forefront when the menu was presented to manufacturers. We made about $25,000 for the university, as my memory serves. Hope that helps clarify a little. By the way, CLC is the Cadillac of the licensing industry. Self licensing is a possibility, but it takes a lot of work.

• Upvote 2

Congrats. That's copyright infringement. Doesn't matter if a profit is being made or not.

Unless he has paid the CLC licensing fees.

If you don't use licensed logos, there is very little recourse the school has. If you're making one offs for yourself, it would cost the school more in lawyer and court costs than the "lost revenue" to the school.

If you're a small fish not selling what you make, assuming the school has your contact information in its alumni database, the best you might get is a cease and desist order.

• Upvote 2

If anyone would post locations (outside of Denton) where we can find North Texas gear it would be appreciated.

Your best bet is probably to buy through B&N, the bookstore's new carrier. B&N puts together fantastic bookstores all over the country and has used the same model at North Texas after entering into an agreement a couple of years ago.

http://unt.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BNCBHomePage?storeId=71237&catalogId=10001&cm_mmc=SEM-_-bing-_-Elite+-+University+of+North+Texas+-+Book+Store+-+Broad-_-University%20of%20North%20Texas%20bookstore&utm_medium=cpc&utm_keyword=%5Bkeyword%5D&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=Elite+-+University+of+North+Texas+-+Book+Store+-+Broad

CLC licensing for North Texas is 10% per unit sold. The liability issue is about about $400 a year for insurance. For the 'local license' you are entitled to produce products for two universities in Texas with the exception of Texas and A&M...if the manufacturer does two schools (North Texas and Texas Tech as an example) they are getting two for the price of the $400 insurance policy. The North Texas 10% is about average for the licensed universities. If the manufacturer does two schools and manufacturers 500 units per school, they bring their insurance unit cost down. The two factors, as I see it, are their perception of poor volume for North Texas products, coupled by a non aggressive licensing strategy at the university. More athletic success breeds more recognition and perhaps more interest in North Texas products. I created the CLC agreement in the late 80's and contacted my CLC representative regularly to keep North Texas in the forefront when the menu was presented to manufacturers. We made about $25,000 for the university, as my memory serves. Hope that helps clarify a little. By the way, CLC is the Cadillac of the licensing industry. Self licensing is a possibility, but it takes a lot of work.

I talked to our athletic department last month and this is almost exactly what I was told. They said some schools are sold in a package and therefore at discount. North Texas is not usually included in that package and therefore many retailers make the decision not to carry NT merchandise.

Don't know what the solution is, but there has to be one.

Maybe a question we can ask at the Mean Green event tonight.

Thanks for this info Drex. I am going to contact another licensing agency and see how it compares to for example what it costs to license SHSU marks.

• Upvote 1