Chancellor: No alcohol sales at UT football games

Harry

AUSTIN (KXAN) Beer and wine will not be coming to University of Texas football games this fall for the general public, according to UT System Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa.

Cigarroa told reporters Thursday after a Board of Regents meeting that he would not authorize the alcohol sales at Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium, saying it needs more review.

Read more: http://kxan.com/2014/07/10/chancellor-no-alcohol-sales-at-ut-football-games/

It's not an easy decision. With the drinking age at 21 and a third or more of the crowd under that age, it would be very difficult to card everyone that wanted to buy a beer or a glass of wine.

With that large an underage crowd, it could require a Liquor Control Boad agent at each booth where alcohol is sold which would involve a lot of preplanning.

• Upvote 1

It's not an easy decision. With the drinking age at 21 and a third or more of the crowd under that age, it would be very difficult to card everyone that wanted to buy a beer or a glass of wine.

With that large an underage crowd, it could require a Liquor Control Boad agent at each booth where alcohol is sold which would involve a lot of preplanning.

THIS. This is where the unforseen problem is. My wife works in concessions for an individual who has no common sense and would botch the selling of alcohol sales. No one is really noticing how terrible this person is doing currently (ok, some people do notice), but with legal issues surrounding alcohol sales, someone will likely notice then and it probably would not be good for UNT athletics. The cohesion between the director of concessions and AD is worse than that of the two most polarized people on this board.

• Upvote 1

Nothing worthwhile comes easy, if there is a will there is a way. If other Schools can do it, we can too, problem is, it will require someone to get off their lazy ass and put out some effort.

Nothing worthwhile comes easy, if there is a will there is a way. If other Schools can do it, we can too, problem is, it will require someone to get off their lazy ass and put out some effort.

I would argue that said lazy-ass would need half a brain. Do we have what it takes? I'm not convinced. It could become such a hassle that it doesnt turn out to be worth the cost. I'd like to see a poll: Who would pay $6 for domestics (Budweiser, Bud Light, and Michelob Ultra) and $7 for imports (Dos X and Corona)? Last I heard, that's what it will be at minimum. I might buy one, but that's about it. Would it justify the hassle?

I would argue that said lazy-ass would need half a brain. Do we have what it takes? I'm not convinced. It could become such a hassle that it doesnt turn out to be worth the cost. I'd like to see a poll: Who would pay $6 for domestics (Budweiser, Bud Light, and Michelob Ultra) and $7 for imports (Dos X and Corona)? Last I heard, that's what it will be at minimum. I might buy one, but that's about it. Would it justify the hassle?

Uhhhh lots of people would. You don't attend very many sporting events do you?

Really? A wanna be TABC security guard in concession stands is going to stop a person from buying beer for a 20 year old? Or better yet control all sales? I went to a Rangers game this week, several Rough Riders games this Summer, a couple of Cowboys games last year, Heart of Dallas Bowl last season, got lucky and made it to a Mavs game, hit a Stars game too, and at none of these events did I witness carnage caused by under aged drinkers. Actually, the very few unruly drunks I saw were generally grown men.

Let the Police do their job at the stadium. Just like they do in every other stadium when they start selling beer to the masses. It's a silly argument to worry about what's going to happen when they start selling beer. My guess is most people will notice nothing except maybe a few more butts in seats.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

See there I go thinking that Big12 crowds were mostly graduates and older who can actually afford to go to those games.

I know when my little sister was at UT about 5 years ago the student tickets were insane. GolfinGomez where you at to double check my work?

• Upvote 1