Redskins Trademark Cancelled

Then your argument is:

I personally don't like calling people terms they find offensive, but its a free country and feel free to do so if you want.

Wow, since I don't jump in your band wagon, you now are accusing me of using these terms?

Leap much?

• Downvote 4

If Washington is going to be forced to change their mascot then I think Kansas City should be forced to do the same. To not put that same pressure on the Chiefs screams hypocrisy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If Washington is going to be forced to change their mascot then I think Kansas City should be forced to do the same. To not put that same pressure on the Chiefs screams hypocrisy.

Didn't Indian/Native America/first settlers/ or whatever the appropriate term is these days actually have Chiefs? If so, wouldn't it be more of an honor than offensive? Should we just never refer to them at all and ignore that they exist/existed out of fear of offending? Actually, in today's environment, that is probaby the safest route to take.

Is it the name or the logo you have a problem with? If it is the logo, what would you suggest it be changed to?

Since the word "Oklahoma" means "Red People" in Choctaw, I want the name of the state and every institution and office in said state changed because I find it offensive in nature. We have no official language in the US so I am angry at the name. Get Bob Costas and Congress on board. It's blasphemy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Since the word "Oklahoma" means "Red People" in Choctaw, I want the name of the state and every institution and office in said state changed because I find it offensive in nature. We have no official language in the US so I am angry at the name. Get Bob Costas and Congress on board. It's blasphemy.

Come on, dude. It's, like toootally different with the word "people" than it is with the word "skin."

That "skin" word changes EVERYTHING!!!!!1!12!

• Downvote 1

Please tell me who thinks "Chiefs" is a racial slur.

What about the NCAA did to Arkansas State where they had to change their mascot who was just an Indian? There is precedent in demanding a sports program to change their mascot regardless of whether the mascot is considered a racial slur.

What about the NCAA did to Arkansas State where they had to change their mascot who was just an Indian? There is precedent in demanding a sports program to change their mascot regardless of whether the mascot is considered a racial slur.

The NCAA did not force anything on ASU. It was the university's choice. I considered it more a precautionary move to be in line with the NCAA's ban on anything considered hostile or abusive.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

Come on, dude. It's, like toootally different with the word "people" than it is with the word "skin."

That "skin" word changes EVERYTHING!!!!!1!12!

Actually, it's different because one of the Indian nations of that state chose that name when naming the state during treaty talks with the US. The Choctaw chief of the time chose that name because he thought it reflected all of the Native American peoples in the state.

It's one thing when you choose it, it's something else when someone outside of you, with a long history of what amounts to dicking your people over chooses the name, makes a mockery of your culture, and slaps it on a sports team, then makes money off it.

The NCAA did not force anything on ASU. It was the university's choice. I considered it more a precautionary move to be in line with the NCAA's ban on anything considered hostile or abusive.

You mean an entity actually took it upon themselves to do the right thing?

Nah.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You mean an entity actually took it upon themselves to do the right thing?

Nah.

ASU is a perfect example that this should be easy, and not involve politics.

We're not asking them (Washington) to vacate wins, move away from home or erase their history.

"Indians" isn't nearly as controversial as "Redskins", but that doesn't matter. Nor does it that some Native Americans are okay with "Redskins". Just change it and move on.

Just change it and move on.

Or, not.

But, if you decide not to... You won't have the U.S. government backing your exclusive ability to monetize that team name anymore, and you'll have to deal with the disgust of an ever-growing proportion of America.

It's a beautiful country that way. Snyder doesn't have to change anything, even without a trademark.

Huh? I'm not sure I'm getting you.

In 2005, the NCAA announced a ban on ethnically or racially "hostile" or "abusive" nicknames, mascots and imagery at championship events. Arkansas State was one of the schools found in violation of the policy.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/2008-02-28-arkansas-state-mascot-retirement_N.htm

You know that, right? The same way ULM had to change their name, and Illinois had to get rid of their Indian associations, etc. I don't get how that jibes with "the NCAA did not force anything on ASU."

I looked that policy up earlier today. What it actually says it that the schools are free to use whatever mascot they want as that is an institutional decision. There is no "ban" on any mascot. They are not allowed to use the offending names or logos at any NCAA championship events. So if they wanted to remain the Indians, they were free to do so. But if their basketball team made the tournament, they wouldn't be able to use it. If they were to host an NCAA championship event, they would have to take reasonable precautions to cover up the offending names and logos on any facilities.

Huh? I'm not sure I'm getting you.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/2008-02-28-arkansas-state-mascot-retirement_N.htm

You know that, right? The same way ULM had to change their name, and Illinois had to get rid of their Indian associations, etc. I don't get how that jibes with "the NCAA did not force anything on ASU."

OldGuy said it best. The actual move was put in motion by an internal committee made up of the ASU community.

The Mascot Review Committee, assembled of fans, alumni and students of the 11,000 student campus, was charged with reviewing options for changing or retaining the school's "Indians" nickname earlier this year. The committee completed its charge today by formally recommending tocampus chancellor Dr. Robert Potts that the school abandon the nickname and the more than 80 years of tradition associated with it.

http://voices.yahoo.com/arkansas-state-mascot-indians-must-go-committee-says-452316.html?cat=9

The way I read that, the option to keep Indians was still there.

I'm not motivated enough to see if it was the same with ULM or Illini. Carry on.

Edited by greenminer

I looked that policy up earlier today. What it actually says it that the schools are free to use whatever mascot they want as that is an institutional decision. There is no "ban" on any mascot. They are not allowed to use the offending names or logos at any NCAA championship events. So if they wanted to remain the Indians, they were free to do so. But if their basketball team made the tournament, they wouldn't be able to use it. If they were to host an NCAA championship event, they would have to take reasonable precautions to cover up the offending names and logos on any facilities.

Sure, it wasn't that long ago that these schools went through all this. But I fail to see how it really leaves schools with a choice.

OldGuy said it best. The actual move was put in motion by an internal committee made up of the ASU community.

http://voices.yahoo.com/arkansas-state-mascot-indians-must-go-committee-says-452316.html?cat=9

The way I read that, the option to keep Indians was still there.

I'm not motivated enough to see if it was the same with ULM or Illini. Carry on.

Kind of like how the kid whose arm is being twisted behind his back as his face is being driven into the ground has the option to say "uncle"?