Redskins Trademark Cancelled

Actually, it's different because one of the Indian nations of that state chose that name when naming the state during treaty talks with the US. The Choctaw chief of the time chose that name because he thought it reflected all of the Native American peoples in the state.

It's one thing when you choose it, it's something else when someone outside of you, with a long history of what amounts to dicking your people over chooses the name, makes a mockery of your culture, and slaps it on a sports team, then makes money off it.

It sounds like you're slipping hairs hoss. You can't have it both ways...

There have been several change mascots or symbols besides ASU .. Stanford was Indians and Marquette was Warriors ... There are more.. The Seminoles actually like the FSU mascot being their tribe. I am not aware of any cartoonish figure associated with them. Even the Washington symbol is not insulting ..but the name is a bit questionable. Years ago several dropped the rebel Mascot also ... including UT Arlington.

I think every sports team everywhere should be named Vanilla.

UNT Mean Vanilla

Dallas Football Vanilla

Dallas Basketball Vanilla

This way we can make sure that no one ever will be offended by anything. You know, because feelings are the most important thing in this country now-a-days.

Lord forbid anyone ever grow a pair.

Or would this be insensitive to Strawberry and Chocolate?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I think every sports team everywhere should be named Vanilla.

UNT Mean Vanilla

Dallas Football Vanilla

Dallas Basketball Vanilla

This way we can make sure that no one ever will be offended by anything. You know, because feelings are the most important thing in this country now-a-days.

Lord forbid anyone ever grow a pair.

Or would this be insensitive to Strawberry and Chocolate?

Someone finally gets it. Damn, what's next, changing the name of Cracker Jacks because a certain race finds that term offensive? Like UNT90 stated, people need to grow a pair.

• Downvote 2

This and UNT90's comments... Gotta be a bit. Not funny though.

Not a bit at all. I know it doesn't jive with the national trend of wanting to be a victim and getting as much attention and monetary benefit from your "victimization" as possible, so I'm sure you will call me lots of nasty names because I think there are FAR more important things to be concerned about.

Why is mine a bit? Cracker is a derogatory term for a white person so, in your opinion, should we change the name of Cracker Jacks?

Not your first comment homie. Ridiculous post on page 4.

And the above is a very odd argument too, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_Jack

"In 1896, the first lot of Cracker Jack was produced, the same year the name was registered. It was named by an enthusiastic sampler who remarked: "That's a crackerjack!" (a colloquialism meaning "of excellent quality")." Doesn't say anything about the white guy on the box being a 'Cracker', lol.

Not a bit at all. I know it doesn't jive with the national trend of wanting to be a victim and getting as much attention and monetary benefit from your "victimization" as possible, so I'm sure you will call me lots of nasty names because I think there are FAR more important things to be concerned about.

I agree with alot of stuff you say sir. Why would I call you names? And yes, there are more important things to be concerned about, but right now, this has come up, and it's very valid.

There may be a 'trend' as you're saying, but that's not a good reason to about-face and polarize in the opposite direction. 2 wrongs don't make a right, right? I don't think everyone who finds this offensive is looking for money. I think folks are just used to the way things have always been, and now that it's being questioned, heels are being dug-in (The American way!) and no one can see eye to eye.

You sure are spending a whole lot of time being concerned about something not very important to be concerned about.

Not your first comment homie. Ridiculous post on page 4.

And the above is a very odd argument too, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_Jack

"In 1896, the first lot of Cracker Jack was produced, the same year the name was registered. It was named by an enthusiastic sampler who remarked: "That's a crackerjack!" (a colloquialism meaning "of excellent quality")." Doesn't say anything about the white guy on the box being a 'Cracker', lol.

I was dead serious with my first comment. People are turning into big weinies and get their feelings hurt for no reason.

I don't care about the origin or intent of Cracker Jacks. Cracker is derogatory toward whites but I promise not to get butt hurt and demand a name change.

I imagine that as this plays out, if Snyder's appeal doesn't work out so well, it'll be the NFL that pushes him to change the name. They aren't gonna miss out on all that sweet, sweet revenue.

If I were Snyder, I think I'd go ahead and change it to the Washington Whatevers, but keep selling Redskins name and logo merchandise. If he can't copyright/patent/trademark (my memory of those distinctions hazes), then nobody can, and he is therefore still perfectly capable of selling whatever he wants.

If I were Snyder, I think I'd go ahead and change it to the Washington Whatevers, but keep selling Redskins name and logo merchandise. If he can't copyright/patent/trademark (my memory of those distinctions hazes), then nobody can, and he is therefore still perfectly capable of selling whatever he wants.

He can keep selling the merch, but so can everyone else and he gets nothing for those items sold.

Yeah, but I don't think that in my lifetime, I've seen one person set foot on a baseball field donning an Indianapolis Clowns jersey. Although, they do seem to be readily available on ebay.

I'm almost certain there have been throwback games with Negro League uniforms - The Grays, the Pittsburgh Crawfords, the St Louis Stars. I might be wrong, however.

You sure are spending a whole lot of time being concerned about something not very important to be concerned about.

Meh. Just pointing out the pointlessness of it all. Anyone can find anything to be offended about if they try hard enough. The standard is sinking on an hourly basis. I respect people who don't let others define who they are and don't use something as pointless as this to draw attention to themselves or generate donations for their organization.

And, in case you haven't noticed, most of the stuff in this forum is stupid and pointless. I mean, a soccer thread is in this forum.

Yet you are still here, also.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 4

And here you sit above it all, at the top in post count AND reputation. All hail the king, baby.

And, in case you haven't noticed, most of the stuff in this forum is stupid and pointless. I mean, a soccer thread is in this forum.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

And here you sit above it all, at the top in post count AND reputation. All hail the king, baby.

Speaking of pointless, stupid, and more important things to worry about...

I swear, it's like being around a bunch of teenage girls up in here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

And there's one teenage girl round these parts who hangs out more than anyone else and noses her way into every single argument!

So annoying right?

• Upvote 3

And there's one teenage girl round these parts who hangs out more than anyone else and noses her way into every single argument!

So annoying right?

It's easy. Ignore me. Either dont read or use the ignore function.

Is that so hard?

Hopefully no one draws any self identity from the stupid crap that goes on here. That would just be sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Meh. Just pointing out the pointlessness of it all. Anyone can find anything to be offended about if they try hard enough. The standard is sinking on an hourly basis. I respect people who don't let others define who they are and don't use something as pointless as this to draw attention to themselves or generate donations for their organization.

Yet you are still here, also.

Awh. Always go for the personal jab when your bullshit is called out.

Also, soccer is so pointless it's getting higher ratings than some our beloved BCS games. Welcome to the future, I know it scares you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Awh. Always go for the personal jab when your bullshit is called out.

Also, soccer is so pointless it's getting higher ratings than some our beloved BCS games. Welcome to the future, I know it scares you.

As much as I would like for this to be true, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Too much crap to be cleaned up in the game for most Americans to appreciate it (mainly the diving). FIFA is also not a trustworthy organization either.

Olympics always do well in the ratings, but no one goes to a figure skating competition or track meets (unless they know a participant).

But, but...we like each other in person. The only problem is our in-person relationship is based on basketball, and well, you know...

I don't know what happened to Kram, but, as a homage, it sounds like goats are being got.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1