Redskins Trademark Cancelled

This is a patent office decision, same thing that happened in 1999. Article clearly states that. The Patent Office has that power.

I always though it was a offensive name, and wondered why no one made a big deal out of it:

oQOp8Na.png

ETA: The opinion.

ETA2:

Petitioners, five Native Americans, have brought this cancellation proceeding pursuant to Section 14 of the Trademark Act of 1946, 15 U.S.C. § 1064©. They seek to cancel respondent’s registrations issued between 1967 and 1990 for trademarks consisting in whole or in part of the term REDSKINS for professional football-related services on the ground that the registrations were obtained contrary to Section 2(a), 15 U.S.C. § 1052(a), which prohibits registration of marks that may disparage persons or bring them into contempt or disrepute.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 3

Talk sports or law, or we are off to the cage.

Mad with power, I tell you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the patent cancellation now mean that anyone can print "Redskins" and sell it on anything they want? So won't this actually increase the amount of "Redskins" labeled paraphernalia for sale in the market?

And won't this make it the "cool" thing to wear among Washington fans and other segments of society?

Or are trademark still in effect preventing this from occurring?

Hopefully I get an answer before The Man locks this crap down.

Edited by UNT90

Mad with power, I tell you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the patent cancellation now mean that anyone can print "Redskins" and sell it on anything they want? So won't this actually increase the amount of "Redskins" labeled paraphernalia for sale in the market?

And won't this make it the "cool" thing to wear among Washington fans and other segments of society?

Hopefully I get an answer before The Man locks this crap down.

Not mad with power... Angry and empowered.

As far as lack of trademark protection leading to a proliferation of unlicensed apparel...

400_0e12802e.jpg

I brush with it morning and night, and all my cool subversive pals and I really feel like we're sticking it to Colgate. It's everywhere, and absolutely nobody thinks I'm a scumbag when I buy or use it in public.

1999 case was thrown out due to the Doctrine of Laches*. In effect, the original petitioners had lived with the original name for too long (they were in their 60s) and the judge considered the action "unreasonably delayed."

The new plaintiffs are young, just having reached legal age when they filed the suit, so this seem to take care of that. NFL won't be able to argue this point.

*French legal term that found it's way into English Common Law. Lay-chəz meaning "remissness" or "slackness."

And I am sure Dan Snyder, or hell Jerry Jones is going to be fine with not getting any of this money. This is a huge incentive for Dan Snyder to change the name to something that can be copyrighted, so he can make those stacks.

Washington fans are barely even people, why should we care what they think? Just kidding, no Washington hate here. I grew up an Oilers fan and the entire NFL is dead to me. Do you hear me? DEEEEAAAADDDD!

Snyder will almost assuredly appeal this. The copyright will be in effect until the appeal is decided.

And I am sure Dan Snyder, or hell Jerry Jones is going to be fine with not getting any of this money. This is a huge incentive for Dan Snyder to change the name to something that can be copyrighted, so he can make those stacks.

Washington fans are barely even people, why should we care what they think? Just kidding, no Washington hate here. I grew up an Oilers fan and the entire NFL is dead to me. Do you hear me? DEEEEAAAADDDD!

Snyder will almost assuredly appeal this. The copyright will be in effect until the appeal is decided.

How does this work in conjunction with NFL trademarks? Could the Redskins still be protected by a blanket NFL trademark(a)?

Not mad with power... Angry and empowered.

As far as lack of trademark protection leading to a proliferation of unlicensed apparel...

400_0e12802e.jpg

I brush with it morning and night, and all my cool subversive pals and I really feel like we're sticking it to Colgate. It's everywhere, and absolutely nobody thinks I'm a scumbag when I buy or use it in public.

Hmm, what about characterizing people of Irish descent as quick to anger/willing to fight? The Holy Cross Crusaders might be found to be offensive to certain segments of society. God help us if someone thinks it's not cool that the symbol of our nation is green and appears to be stoned or drunk... Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

Hmm, what about characterizing people of Irish descent as quick to anger/willing to fight?

It's the Fightin' Irish, a term that has been deemed acceptable by the vast majority of that group. A better comparison would be if they had been named the Notre Dame Taigs. A term which would be considered offensive.

• Upvote 1

--- That was the one team name that I thought might be considered offensive.. the rest (tribe names) don't seem offensive to me.. if this goes too far .... we would have to rename about 1/2 of the states .. I think most state names are actually named after various "native American" groups or terms...

--I wonder how well the terms "Whiteskins" or "Blackskins" would go over.??.. I'm guessing not too well.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

Dumbass Washington fans are going to cling to the moniker as an act of defiance, no matter if the team is renamed.

And there will be a market for the apparel. Where there is a market...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Dumbass Washington fans are going to cling to the moniker as an act of defiance, no matter if the team is renamed.

Wait.... You're agreeing that it's offensive?

I always though it was a offensive name, and wondered why no one made a big deal out of it:

oQOp8Na.png

Yeah, I always felt like Cleveland's logo was even more offensive than the Redskin moniker. Washington's logo is actually pretty respectful -- just change their name to the Indians or a local tribe.

Give Cleveland a new logo and it's all good.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

So, what is your point? That idiots will buy and wear Redskins stuff even if/when the team name is changed?

Is anyone really arguing with that?

Yeah, I always felt like Cleveland's logo was even more offensive than the Redskin moniker. Washington's logo is actually pretty respectful -- just change their name to the Indians or a local tribe.

Give Cleveland a new logo and it's all good.

Shouldn't be a problem... Out of all of Major League Baseball, the only teams that haven't significantly changed their logo since the Indians have been using Chief Wahoo (doesn't matter if you consider it post-1951 or 1980) are the Mets, Dodgers, Red Sox, Royals, Yankees, A's, Cubs, and Reds. And even those teams have changed their caps, wordmarks, etc. Oh, and the Rockies, too. Still going strong since 1993.

Everyone else, including expansion teams like Tampa, Arizona, and Washington, have changed their logos once or repeatedly. Even Atlanta took their own racial caricature out of the logo decades ago.