MGB: UNT summer questions series Part III: Can UNT rebuild its DL?

Brett Vito

I think we can rebuild and we will but I am fairly surprised at how hard this has been. Mac is a DLine coach and he knows how important this is. If you want to be a mid major who can beat p5 you have to recruit DLine. It's not easy but it has to be done. I think Patrick will help us.

You betcha. I believe because Coach Patrick believes. If you saw Vito''s interview, he didn't mince words when he easily could have. And, he is not some first year coach. He's been around the block and if he''s not worried then neither am I.

True, there's not a lot of experience. Seniors Mason and Lincoln are the only ones who have had much playing time. I don't think that there will be a "star" in this group but there will be rotations of solid performers. I expect former all-state player Sid Moore to shine and players like Austin Orr, Dustin Watson, Chad Polk, and Malik Dilonga to make major contributions. I also like Jarrian Roberts and Andy Flusche and I hope that they get some playing opportunities. If further help is needed I believe that T J Tauaalo and Tillman Johnson are good enough to play their first year. All seem to have good motors and are coachable.

These players will build on the emotion of last year's squad. They may not be the optimum size but they have good strength and quickness. We've been left with worse.

• Upvote 2

Don't get why we can't occasionally convert a big TE to DT. Even if it's a project. Seems like we can find plenty of big TEs. One of them should have quick enough feet to play DT or DE.

That is why there are so many tight ends.. they cannot play DT.

I would not count on immediate help from Freshmen Dlinemen. I'd give them a year.

I would not count on immediate help from Freshmen Dlinemen. I'd give them a year.

its gonna take a while for any freshmen to contribute. Especially a DL. These guys wont report until the 2nd Summer session, and if it is like last year, they wont be able to lift weights. They will go through weeks of conditioning and technique training.

Unless someone shows up looking like a grown man, has studied the playbook inside out, and has broken down film over the summer, it is going to be hard for them to come in and hit the ground running.

I figure goree will play a role similar to what kidsy did last year. He will learn the spread with 4 wr sets, and thats about it. Others may get in on special teams.

I know some programs have thier freshman already reported and working out. Not sure why some wait.

its gonna take a while for any freshmen to contribute. Especially a DL. These guys wont report until the 2nd Summer session, and if it is like last year, they wont be able to lift weights. They will go through weeks of conditioning and technique training.

Unless someone shows up looking like a grown man, has studied the playbook inside out, and has broken down film over the summer, it is going to be hard for them to come in and hit the ground running.

I figure goree will play a role similar to what kidsy did last year. He will learn the spread with 4 wr sets, and thats about it. Others may get in on special teams.

I know some programs have thier freshman already reported and working out. Not sure why some wait.

I think Goree will have a big impact this season

Well, so far, Wallace has been declared a bust. The only player not mentioned in the discussion is Mustafa Haboul. He seems pretty quick and fast. Is this young man going to make any sort of contribution?

Pretty early to consider Wallace a bust considering he's a soph with 3 years left. Looking at the offseason reports, where he is on the depth chart, and a few comments, he seems to be headed that way.

seems like once you are in the doghouse with this coaching staff, you are in trouble unless times get really desperate. Wallace may show up with his hair on fire and focused, but I wouldnt count on it. I have met the young man a few times and he is a cool kid. I just get the impression he is enjoying college life and not focusing on football and impressing the coaches.

Pretty early to consider Wallace a bust considering he's a soph with 3 years left. Looking at the offseason reports, where he is on the depth chart, and a few comments, he seems to be headed that way.

seems like once you are in the doghouse with this coaching staff, you are in trouble unless times get really desperate. Wallace may show up with his hair on fire and focused, but I wouldnt count on it. I have met the young man a few times and he is a cool kid. I just get the impression he is enjoying college life and not focusing on football and impressing the coaches.

As you said, at least he has 3 yrs to play still. There are many many players who don't contribute till later, hope this is the case here.

As you said, at least he has 3 yrs to play still. There are many many players who don't contribute till later, hope this is the case here.

I think if we are being blown off the ball at Texas and they are just smashing us up the middle due to lack of size, we will probably see him make an appearance as a big body. It still looks like he has a long way to go to get in the rotation though.

I think Goree will have a big impact this season

Goree has talent and is listed at 6'3. He is a higher rated and more accomplished prospect than kidsy was, and kidsy saw the field. Its safe to say, he will play when we go 4 wides.

170 is small, but unlike kidsy, they may put goree outside instead of inside since he is 6'3 and can run. Really looking forward to seeing where they play him.

I cant see him starting until very late in the season unless he learns the playbook real fast, and considering we are a running team, blocking will be a factor. Thats why I think we only see him on obvious passing downs.

Not trying to sound like an organ head, but it's not exactly going out on a limb saying Goree will play right away. Also, size (weight) is very overrated when it comes to receivers IMO, especially on the outside as GOMG alluded to.

That being said, I think Goree has physicality going in his favor. I also think he will be very big by the time he's done here. His body type and muscle type clearly have tons of room for bulk. Not true for every tall receiver.

I think he leaves here as our all-time leading receiver. I know that sounds extreme, but I really think it's not when you think about it. We have not benefitted from the major development in the passing game over the last 15 years. It's a very breakable record.

See Abbe, Richard.

Abbe contributed early on. He didn't even redshirt, and by his sophomore year, he:

• Played in all 12 games registering seven tackles, 0.5 a sack and a 19-yard interception return

• Grabbed his first career interception on an ASU pass for a 19-yard return

• Registered a 2-yard loss half sack

• Made one unassisted tackle against both Houston and Indiana.

Obviously, his contributions to the team his senior year far outshone anything he did previously. But I have a hard time seeing any similarity to Abbe's and Wallace's contributions in their respective early years with the program.

• Upvote 1