No "Affluenza Defense" for Josh Brent

Wow...another celebrity and/or rich guy getting off way too easy in my opinion. If the guy had not been a Dallas Cowboy one wonders what he might have served. Wonder how long before he signs with an NFL team...maybe even back with the Cowboys? Would be out in July for training camp if he enters that 180 "vacation" now.

I think a lot of what would weigh on my mind if I were deciding on the sentence would be that the person killed also made a conscious decision to place himself in danger by getting into that car. If it were an innocent bystander, I'm sure I would feel differently. Not that one life is more valuable than the other, but when assessing the sentence, whether it should be a part of the equation or not, it would factor in mine. Either way, the wrongful act is not the result--killing someone or simply pulling home safely in the driveway--it is the decision of driving while intoxicated in the first place. That is the behavior that has to be remedied. People getting off too easily when they don't happen to kill someone is as big of a part of the problem as anything.

Edited by jredallas

Wow...another celebrity and/or rich guy getting off way too easy in my opinion. If the guy had not been a Dallas Cowboy one wonders what he might have served. Wonder how long before he signs with an NFL team...maybe even back with the Cowboys? Would be out in July for training camp if he enters that 180 "vacation" now.

I don't have the numbers, but I believe this type of punishment is fairly common regardless of who you are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

the problem with sentencing is that it is not consistent...could be the lawyer, the accused, the judge, etc...

but i don't think there could ever be absolute consistency in sentencing...

6 months...10 yr probation for killing your passenger when you were driving intoxicated...that just doesn't seem just...

I don't quite get Jerry Brown's mother in all of this. I guess we grieve in different ways, but it's almost too extreme. I mean the dude killed your son through extremely irresponsible behavior. It's great that you can forgive him, or think that he's not a terrible person for his bad mistake, but to think that having mercy = no jail time is just mind-boggling. Just mind-boggling.

It's great that she's not looking for vengeance, but even the most forgiving person should think that Brent should serve at least some jail time.

• Upvote 1

I don't quite get Jerry Brown's mother in all of this. I guess we grieve in different ways, but it's almost too extreme. I mean the dude killed your son through extremely irresponsible behavior. It's great that you can forgive him, or think that he's not a terrible person for his bad mistake, but to think that having mercy = no jail time is just mind-boggling. Just mind-boggling.

It's great that she's not looking for vengeance, but even the most forgiving person should think that Brent should serve at least some jail time.

Jerry Brown's mom pretty much saved any chance at a harsh penalty. Without her Brent likely gets a lot less sympathy in the jury's eyes.

This had nothing to do with celebrity. This had everything to do with Dallas County. Having testified in front of, and been a part of the selection process for, Dallas County jurors I can tell you that the brightest bulbs never see jury duty. If you are going to drive drunk Dallas County is the place to do it. The same "who among us hasn't driven after one too many?" line of reasoning that I saw on this very board is extremely prevalent amongst the jury pool.

And, as much as it pains me to say it, race very much played a part in this. And, for a change, being black worked FOR the defendant. There is a line of thinking that goes, "If the rich white kid didn't go to jail after killing four then Josh Brent shouldn't get punished severely". Not saying it's right, certainly not saying I agree. It's just naive to ignore it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

the problem with sentencing is that it is not consistent...could be the lawyer, the accused, the judge, etc...

but i don't think there could ever be absolute consistency in sentencing...

6 months...10 yr probation for killing your passenger when you were driving intoxicated...that just doesn't seem just...

It's not consistent because the facts of each and every case are different. The deceased parents begged for no jail time, correct? I'm sure that played a huge part in the sentence.

Not all cases are the same. That is why the punishment in many 1st degree felony cases in Texas is a range of 5-99 years and the sentence can be probated. We trust juries and judges to apply common sense when sentencing. It doesn't always happen, of course.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Her son was in the car...... he should have known the risks considering how much brent had been drinking.. .... not the same as a drunk running over someone in another car or on the side of the road that is completely innocent.. . No one made him get into that car. Agree the sentence is very light but this is nothing like a case involving someone who was not in the car....

• Upvote 1

Her son was in the car...... he should have known the risks considering how much brent had been drinking.. .... not the same as a drunk running over someone in another car or on the side of the road that is completely innocent.. . No one made him get into that car. Agree the sentence is very light but this is nothing like a case involving someone who was not in the car....

I do understand that line of thinking, but he's still dead as a result. You ever have a friend or acquaintance that you knew who didn't "act drunk"? I had an uncle who until my cousins told me, I could never tell that he was pretty much wasted. He didn't get louder, he didn't slur his words or stumble. Dude could be as cool as a cucumber and I had no clue his BAL was probably double the legal limit to drive.

This had nothing to do with celebrity. This had everything to do with Dallas County. Having testified in front of, and been a part of the selection process for, Dallas County jurors I can tell you that the brightest bulbs never see jury duty. If you are going to drive drunk Dallas County is the place to do it. The same "who among us hasn't driven after one too many?" line of reasoning that I saw on this very board is extremely prevalent amongst the jury pool.

And, as much as it pains me to say it, race very much played a part in this. And, for a change, being black worked FOR the defendant. There is a line of thinking that goes, "If the rich white kid didn't go to jail after killing four then Josh Brent shouldn't get punished severely". Not saying it's right, certainly not saying I agree. It's just naive to ignore it.

Gosh, looks like I was spot on.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/Dallas-DA-Affluenza-case-had-effect-on-Josh-Brent-jury-242857601.html