Brown,Diggs,Reed returning for senior year

NT03

All about UNT & Deep Green...rough comment towards, NT03 Me thinks NT03 has no Love for UT. Personally I'd like to see UT women's BB team do well except when they play UNT. UT's current women's BB coach also coached our women's team before being hired away by UT. UT's current women's BB coach I'd say is a little better than our current women's BB coach. No disrespect to our current coach, just a fact in my opinion.

Can't wait until we play UT in the first game of the new season. I wish I could drink enough Green Cool-aid to believe we'll pull of the upset. If we win somehow the game will go down as the best win in our school's history!!! Revenge for the game we should have won back in 88. UNT was robbed back on that Saturday afternoon!!! I'd like nothing better than for coach Mac, his staff, and our players Avenge that loss!!!

Go Mean Green!

All about UNT & Deep Green...rough comment towards, NT03 Me thinks NT03 has no Love for UT. Personally I'd like to see UT women's BB team do well except when they play UNT. UT's current women's BB coach also coached our women's team before being hired away by UT. UT's current women's BB coach I'd say is a little better than our current women's BB coach. No disrespect to our current coach, just a fact in my opinion.

Can't wait until we play UT in the first game of the new season. I wish I could drink enough Green Cool-aid to believe we'll pull of the upset. If we win somehow the game will go down as the best win in our school's history!!! Revenge for the game we should have won back in 88. UNT was robbed back on that Saturday afternoon!!! I'd like nothing better than for coach Mac, his staff, and our players Avenge that loss!!!

Go Mean Green!

Mine was made in jest. I also agree that since UT is our next game that knowing who we play against is more than relevant

Go Mean Green!

AAU was just giving me a hard time, he's good people!

• Upvote 1

All about UNT & Deep Green...rough comment towards, NT03 Me thinks NT03 has no Love for UT. Personally I'd like to see UT women's BB team do well except when they play UNT. UT's current women's BB coach also coached our women's team before being hired away by UT. UT's current women's BB coach I'd say is a little better than our current women's mens BB coach. No disrespect to our current coach, just a fact in my opinion.

Go Mean Green!

FIFY

• Upvote 2

I'm telling you, Texas will be in the national title race from season one with Strong leading them. Defense wins championships.

Defense wins championships, but 4 of the top 5 teams (OU, Baylor, OSU, KSU) will be better next year than they were this year. Lots of underclassmen starting (esp at QB) for most of those teams this year. Strong is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat in year 1 and 2 to finish in the top 2 of his own conference.

Also, the OC coming from Ok St. is a bit confusing. Yes, he's an oline guy, but OSU hasn't been a pound it out style of offense since Gundy got there. It'll be interesting to see what they run next year.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

It's going to take time for them to turn it around. I highly doubt UT is even a big12 title contender next year, let alone a NC contender. New coach & new philosophy = transition. That's good for UNT, and anyone else who plays UT next year.

Expect a heavy dose of Brown & Gray. Hope our defensive front 7 are ready. UT's QB situation has been a disaster since Colt McCoy got hurt in the NC.

Offensively, I have no idea what to expect from Canales next year with Thompson gone. UT won't have an idea either. Maybe we can surprise them if we come out and execute.

I'm telling you, Texas will be in the national title race from season one with Strong leading them. Defense wins championships.

I'm telling you that you might want to rethink that statement. There are plenty of other teams who are a lot better. Plus they are no better than a 3 or 4 loss team. BYU, UCLA, Baylor, OU, K ST. You think they will beat all those teams? Your crazy. No way you beat all those teams without a great QB and they don't even have a good one. They maybe starting a true freshman at that position.

If defense wins championships what happened to FL? Ranked 8th in total d finished 4-8. You better have a good offense if you want a 9 or 10 win season. You better have a great offense if want to compete for a NC.

Just remember where you read it, and from whom...the same person who told you not to pooh-pooh UTSA because of their coach.

I've got no love for UT. But, Charlie Strong is a man with two national championship rings and years of experience coaching with the best at the best. He's already succeeded in college football's top conference. His defenses at Texas will be legendary, beginning in 2014.

Many of you won't like it; I won't be thrilled about it either. But, why sit and look at who they just hired and continue to try to project their recent past failures on it? That's not realistic. One of the best defensive minds in the college football game is taking over the football program at the school with the most resources in the country.

He won't be sitting around listening to dopesmoker Willie Nelson or bumming around the golf courses with billionaires like Mack. He'll be doing what he's hired to do - win football games. Mack forgot all about that and started to glide.

Charlie Strong is no glider. And, he's not some jive ass hip hop coach trying to make friends of his players - he's trying to make players of his players. He kicks ass and takes names...and, unfortunately, we happen to be the first name on the list in 2014.

• Downvote 1

Just remember where you read it, and from whom...the same person who told you not to pooh-pooh UTSA because of their coach.

I've got no love for UT. But, Charlie Strong is a man with two national championship rings and years of experience coaching with the best at the best. He's already succeeded in college football's top conference. His defenses at Texas will be legendary, beginning in 2014.

Many of you won't like it; I won't be thrilled about it either. But, why sit and look at who they just hired and continue to try to project their recent past failures on it? That's not realistic. One of the best defensive minds in the college football game is taking over the football program at the school with the most resources in the country.

He won't be sitting around listening to dopesmoker Willie Nelson or bumming around the golf courses with billionaires like Mack. He'll be doing what he's hired to do - win football games. Mack forgot all about that and started to glide.

Charlie Strong is no glider. And, he's not some jive ass hip hop coach trying to make friends of his players - he's trying to make players of his players. He kicks ass and takes names...and, unfortunately, we happen to be the first name on the list in 2014.

Just so I can get this straight, Brown laid back and let his players become soft towards the end of his tenure and Strong is going to turn them into a national championship contender in one year.

• Upvote 1

It's also not realistic to expect him to correct all their recent failures in one year. They have a lot of questions. Just bc the defense gets better doesn't equate to them being NC contenders.

Ya he is good coach. Nobody here is denying that, but your kinda crazy to think NC in year one. He doesn't have his players. He has Mack's. Did Jimbo go to an NC right away after Bobby left. How long did it take Saban? A defensive mastermind. How did an offensive genius like Gus Malzan make it to the NC in year one if defenses always win championships. Auburn wasn't great on D yet the win in the best defensive conference in CF.

All I'm saying is its going to take more than just one year.

The way your talking UT is going to shut out everyone so no need for offense right?

Malzhan takes a 1-11 team in his first year and goes to the NC game, but Strong can't take an 8-5 team and do the same. I am not predicting that he will, but we may be engaging in wishful thinking to think they will be worse in 14.

Gus coached and recruited a lot of those guys on that team. Plus he is an offensive genius. You can turn things around quicker at a program if you can charge up the offense. You need some d to win a NC, but offenses rule college football now a days.

If offenses rule college football, where are Mike Leach's national titles? Forget that...where are his conference titles? Ditto Hal Mumme, June Jones.

Sorry, but I'll puke with all of this talk of throwing the ball four yards either way of the line of scrimmage, hoping the receivers can block, and calling that offensive genius.

I'd rather watch film of Roger Staubach or Terry Bradshaw dropping back, wing it deep, and completing just a shade over 50% of their passes.

Run, run, run, bomb. Play great defense. Have a good special teams unit. It works.

If offenses rule college football, where are Mike Leach's national titles? Forget that...where are his conference titles? Ditto Hal Mumme, June Jones.

Sorry, but I'll puke with all of this talk of throwing the ball four yards either way of the line of scrimmage, hoping the receivers can block, and calling that offensive genius.

I'd rather watch film of Roger Staubach or Terry Bradshaw dropping back, wing it deep, and completing just a shade over 50% of their passes.

Run, run, run, bomb. Play great defense. Have a good special teams unit. It works.

Not saying your line of thought doesn't work because it does. I love to watch teams like Stanford and Michigan St play old school football. What I'm saying that college football now days is all about offense.Yes you need a good defense, but you better be able to put up a good amount of points too.

Big XII Champ- runs a spread 52ppg on O, 23 ppg on D

SEC Champ- runs a spread 39ppg on O, 25 ppg on D

ACC Champ- runs a spread 52ppg on O, 12 ppg on D

MWC Champ- runs a spread 43ppg on O, 30 ppg on D

MAC Champ- runs a spread 35ppg on O, 16 ppg on D

AAC Champ- runs a spread 35ppg on O, 21 ppg on D

CUSA Champ- runs a spread 30ppg on O, 24 ppg on D

Sun Belt Champ- runs a spread 34ppg on O, 27 ppg on D

So you wouldnt call Auburns coach an offensive genius? Cause his offense just dominated the most feared defensive conference? With his WR's blocking. How did that happen? How did such a team like Alabama get run over in back to back games by teams with a spread offense?

You've got to be good at both now days. Spread offenses work and they win championships too. Its just modern football. Get used to it.