The kind of a-hole Charlie Strong inherits from Mack

Rich alumni doesn't like the hire...or, being cut out of the porcess this time around: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/red-mccombs-bashes-texas-hire/story?id=21449215

"Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator."

Wow. Like I said a couple of days ago, the thing that probably made the UT job unappealing to so many who backed away from it was this type of influential asshole around the program.

And, here is the textbook definition of hubris, from McCombs just a few days earlier:

McCombs said he was certain Patterson couldn't go wrong on the hire during an interview with the San Antonio Express-News last week.

"I don't see how they can miss," McCombs told the paper. "They can get anyone they want. They can close their eyes and go 'Eeny-meeny-miny-moe' and end up with someone good."

Wow, again. They couldn't get anyone they wanted after all. They got a great one...even if McCombs doesn't think so. But, many higher up turned them down...for good reason.

• Downvote 1

This is why I loved the way the situation unfolded. Their first three picks, Saban, Briles and Mora, wouldn't even interview which half their alumni just couldn't understand how someone would turn down the opportunity to coach a UT. The arrogance of the whole situation was hilarious, just like their arrogance drove Arkansas from the SWC and A&M from the Big XII starting the downfall of both conferences. The arrogance makes it unappealing to many. The bad part to me is that they probably ended up with the best coach for their situation. Strong is an excellent coach and much different from Brown.

I saw a quote where someone said he could see the end to the annual swimming party at Red's ranch. That's probably what pissed off McCombs the most. What an ass.

• Upvote 3

I think Strong is a good qualified coach. He will prove them wrong but it will not happen as quickly as some like. He will have to perform a culture change similar to what Mac did here and that takes time because some of Brown's players won't buy in.

I saw a quote where someone said he could see the end to the annual swimming party at Red's ranch. That's probably what pissed off McCombs the most. What an ass.

I remember something about boosters interacting with players. What was it?

It will come to me eventually.....

Strong will be gone in 3 years. The influential UT boosters can't & won't show enough patience to allow this guy time to build it his way. If he's not playing for the title by year 3, he's out.

Strong appears to be staring down the barrel already....

• Upvote 1

Strong will do some great things at UT if given the time. Hell, if McCarney left UNT, I'd be yelling and screaming to give Strong an interview here - even if we can't afford him. But if Saban and the other candidates didn't even bother to interview at UT, it's a good showing of how spoiled their booster base is and how dysfunctional the upper workings of UT's program are.

For whatever it's worth, Briles wasn't a serious contender for the job, nor was Mora. Strong was on the short list (as was Shaw at Stanford) since the season started. Saban was the top of the list. Which was a big whiff.

Also I'm not sure I'd take the weird-ass opinions expressed by one octogenarian super donor and apply it equally to all other parts, but that's a personal preference. Most are pretty excited about Strong. For his resume and the fact that he's a first-class guy.

• Upvote 1

Today McCombs said he expected to win 5 national titles in 15 years if they had only hired Gruden.

I don't understand the love for Gruden for all of these open college positions. The guy did decent in the NFL and won a super bowl against a team whose roster he built and coached a year previous, and hasn't coached for 5 years. What makes anyone think he'd be the next Nick Saban?

I don't understand the love for Gruden for all of these open college positions. The guy did decent in the NFL and won a super bowl against a team whose roster he built and coached a year previous, and hasn't coached for 5 years. What makes anyone think he'd be the next Nick Saban?

Because Super Bowl and ESPN Gruden QB Camp.

For whatever it's worth, Briles wasn't a serious contender for the job, nor was Mora. Strong was on the short list (as was Shaw at Stanford) since the season started. Saban was the top of the list. Which was a big whiff.

Also I'm not sure I'd take the weird-ass opinions expressed by one octogenarian super donor and apply it equally to all other parts, but that's a personal preference. Most are pretty excited about Strong. For his resume and the fact that he's a first-class guy.

Briles and Mora were serious candidates. Shaw wasn't not sure on your sources but they are wrong. Briles didn't want to interview he wanted the offer straight up. Patterson was highly intrigued by Mora Jr. He did a lot of homework on him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Better produce Saban like results in a very short time or he won't last.

Saw this on another college fball board I frequent:

Saban loses 3 next year & is put on the hot seat for 2015. He goes undefeated into the Iron Bowl but then loses to a 8-3 Auburn team and is fired. Amazing to think that's a very plausible scenario.

Briles and Mora were serious candidates. Shaw wasn't not sure on your sources but they are wrong. Briles didn't want to interview he wanted the offer straight up. Patterson was highly intrigued by Mora Jr. He did a lot of homework on him.

It comes from the highest level, so it doesn't really matter if you believe me or not.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If Mora didn't leave for UW, Mora ain't leaving anytime soon.

Ya I won't. I'll trust the people inside their ADs office and the people who were right during the whole Mack Brown thing and coach search.

Pro tip: if you're going to engage in debate, you should learn to read statements in their context. I said Shaw was atop the list at the beginning of the season. As was Strong. One of them is now the coach. You figure it out.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match about a school that has nothing to do with the Mean Green. So take care.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I think Charlie Strong would be a great fit at Texas A&M or OU (obviously those jobs are not open)....but those are schools where the fan base would embrace his tough minded style. He's a great coach, no question. He's just going to be a rough fit at Texas. I wish him the best b/c I like what I've seen of him....just hope he has a very rough start to his tenure against good ole UNT.

Strong was Patterson's hire. He's going about it the right way, which is to allow the boosters to give their money, but leave the final decision on hires to the AD. The boosters were the ones pushing Gruden--and really--Saban. Mora was looked at, but Briles was supposedly talked to, and was told he would have to interview like everyone else.

Supposedly his response was something along the lines of: "I thought my 3 wins out of the last 4 against you guys was my interview." That didn't go over too well. Patterson wanted to make this hire, and he will sink or swim with it. It's the right course of action, but now the old money is being pushed into the sunset, and some of them don't like it. Total culture change from Patterson, and it needed to be done.

• Upvote 3