New walk-on defensive lineman Joe Kaho from Keller Central

Harry

Time spent on military, religious or humanitarian service should stop the clock on the five year rule. If it isn't part of the rules, it should be.

Totally agree. There are a lot of non-LDS out there doing religious works. Just because the LDS church has it built into their "traditions" shouldn't grant them any sort of special treatment over any other "good works" community service by non-LDS churches and/or organizations.

Edited by SilverEagle

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking with a Tongan neighbor last week and asked him if he knew about Joe Kaho, and whether Kaho was a Tongan. My neighbor said that yes, Kaho was Tongan, from a large family in this area. He did say that he thought Kaho was probably "too old" to play now (this is from a guy who played under Lineweaver at Euless Trinity, but before their first state championship-in 2005 I believe), but I don't think a lot of people are aware of the conditioning required of young men and women in the Army and Marines these days. Not that the physical training requirements haven't always been demanding. Kaho certainly looked like someone who is physically capable. I, for one, hope that Kaho, like Sarge, can find a place for himself in Denton, not just for his own sake, but to show others from this area with a South Pacific Island heritage that UNT can be a good place to study and play football. Two things have been holding us back in this regard: a lack of winning, and a perception of being a little too close to home. Overcoming the first will go a long way towards making the second one irrelevant.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

Kaho is on our Football Performance Facebook page and received high marks from Wintrich's crew for his workout Friday. I am really looking forward to the D-line performance next year. I believe between Wintrich and our new coach we will see some great stuff next year.

• Upvote 3

Kaho is on our Football Performance Facebook page and received high marks from Wintrich's crew for his workout Friday. I am really looking forward to the D-line performance next year. I believe between Wintrich and our new coach we will see some great stuff next year.

I saw that as well. Made me pretty happy.

That us entirely possible. I would expect the NCAA to be VERY lenient on eligibility rules for our heroes...

Except for the veteran that suited up for the MUTS this year. The NCAA tried to ban him because he played on a club team, roughly pick up games, while serving overseas. The relented under public pressure.

Yes, and wasn't there somebody from UTEP and maybe another school as well that had similar issues? Staying in shape and playing sports with friends, work buddies, fellow servicemen, etc. shouldn't count if it's not a part of an actual league. If there was some sort of Army vs. Navy vs. Air Force series that involved active servicemen and not students, then I could see practicing and playing in that counting against eligibility but they really do seem to go after anybody who practiced as a part of any team, even an unofficial one, between high school and college and that's just plain silly.

Yes, and wasn't there somebody from UTEP and maybe another school as well that had similar issues? Staying in shape and playing sports with friends, work buddies, fellow servicemen, etc. shouldn't count if it's not a part of an actual league. If there was some sort of Army vs. Navy vs. Air Force series that involved active servicemen and not students, then I could see practicing and playing in that counting against eligibility but they really do seem to go after anybody who practiced as a part of any team, even an unofficial one, between high school and college and that's just plain silly.

MTSU