UNT shines academically under McCarney

Harry

I stopped by practice to talk to Dan McCarney and his players a couple of days ago and picked up a tidbit that has been talked about briefly and made its rounds a bit on Twitter.

I hung on to it for a dead day — and this would qualify — to talk about it on the blog a little bit more.

UNT had 51 players who finished with a 3.0 GPA or better and everyone on the Mean Green’s roster is eligible for the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/12/unt-shines-academically-under-mccarney.html/

This is a manifestation of the Mean Green Mindset that McCarney, his coaches, and his staff are instilling into our players: integrity, responsibility, self-respect, leadership, discipline, high character, and the desire to improve in all phases of being a student-athlete here at UNT.

GMG.

Edited by Chief Rising Eagle
  • Upvote 1

I believe there to be "athlete friendly" classes. I believe the athletes know exactly what these classes are and get to register before other students. :-) However, the athletes are extremely busy and it's got to be very challenging to be a student / athlete, especially during the season.

Absolutely, Dr. Turners class, complete joke. I asked some football players for a couple easy A class, i needed some electives and they gave me a list.

In one class, we all handed in the EXACT same take home final

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Downvote 1

Last week I went to Denton and watched Hilbert Jackson graduate. It was awesome.

I remember when he signed that someone posted on here that they wished he had backed out and gone somewhere else.

I said then that he was a classy kid and we would be glad he signed.

He went from redshirt to starter and the last two things he will do is walk across the stage and win a bowl championship.

I couldn't be more proud of him.

• Upvote 6

I'll just say this -- I was in a class with an athlete last semester. While attendance wasn't "mandatory," there were deductions to the overall grade if you missed too many times.

There were a few days where this athlete was not in class, yet his signature was still somehow on the sign-in sheet used to take roll.

• Downvote 1

I believe there to be "athlete friendly" classes. I believe the athletes know exactly what these classes are and get to register before other students. :-) However, the athletes are extremely busy and it's got to be very challenging to be a student / athlete, especially during the season.

Everyone knows how to find the "blow off" class, from high school to college.

I'll just say this -- I was in a class with an athlete last semester. While attendance wasn't "mandatory," there were deductions to the overall grade if you missed too many times.

There were a few days where this athlete was not in class, yet his signature was still somehow on the sign-in sheet used to take roll.

Oh God, someone call the NSA. Not like we all didn't have a buddy sign us in at some point. LOL

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Great news on the grades of many of our North Texas Mean Green football players.

So few NCAA FBS school grads get drafted by an NFL team which means they will have to go out into the world and get a job. Even if they did get drafted the career span of an NFL football player is very short due to injuries or various things that shortens an NFL players career.

With over 200,000 U of North Texas alums in the DFW Metroplex there are many from our group who are hiring authorities. Heck, I was one myself most my 25 years in tech school recruiting. Some of you on this forum I know have been as well. In the sector of education I worked I never once interviewed a North Texas grad who played for the Mean Green. I will say if I had he would have had an inside track for any job opportunity if he were qualified and if not qualified just be trainable and teachable. Sometimes its those kind inside tracks from a fellow UNT alum hiring authority that can change a young man's professional life forever.

Moral of All This Is...............Go to class....get good grades and graduate because it will pay off in due time and it sounds like Coach McCarney has a very large group of his players doing just that.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Eligibility and high GPAs are good for the football team, the fans, the school. But the one thing that will really be meaningful to the student themselves is graduation rate. I am happy for the program for this stepping stone, but a high graduation rate will equal real success in my mind.

Last I saw, the football team had a GSR of ~65%. Compare that to our conference... last year the only team with a worse GSR was UAB at 60 with TU and UCF above 80 and Rice at 96%. Now THAT is serving your student athletes.

• Upvote 3