Favorite UNT Football moment

NT 52

Baylor 14

And the 2006 win over smu at fouts

Probably standing on the front porch of the Delta Lodge, drinking a cold one watching the Homecoming parade go by in utter disbelief as they spot Dopehouse playing in our front yard, amps on full blast, lead singer completely naked except for a sock covering his man-hood.

Then going to the game later that day, sneaking a twelve pack into Fouts in my backpack, sitting in the end zone, and downing the brews with my buddies. My best friend had to go to work that night. We thought it would be a good idea if I called his employer for him and pretended to be him, since he was too blasted. I called from the pay phone at Fouts, told them we were broke down on the side of I-35. I think when the band started playing "Fly Like An Eagle", they figured it out.

Needless to say, he got fired.

I have absolutely no idea who we played or what the score was. :)

• Upvote 3

Probably standing on the front porch of the Delta Lodge, drinking a cold one watching the Homecoming parade go by in utter disbelief as they spot Dopehouse playing in our front yard, amps on full blast, lead singer completely naked except for a sock covering his man-hood.

Then going to the game later that day, sneaking a twelve pack into Fouts in my backpack, sitting in the end zone, and downing the brews with my buddies. My best friend had to go to work that night. We thought it would be a good idea if I called his employer for him and pretended to be him, since he was too blasted. I called from the pay phone at Fouts, told them we were broke down on the side of I-35. I think when the band started playing "Fly Like An Eagle", they figured it out.

Needless to say, he got fired.

I have absolutely no idea who we played or what the score was. :)

Can we transition this thread to best drunk moment while at UNT?

• Upvote 1

In 2002 I had a chance to fly with the team to play ULL. We met in Denton, bused to Alliance, only to have our Global airline charter not start. While Global sent for a backup plane,we bused back to Denton, killed some time,returned to Alliance and flew on to Lafayette without incident. The next afternoon we won 27-0,and we bused to the nearly deserted Lafayette airport arriving about 9:00 pm only to discover that this plane also would not start . Global again had another backup plane flown in, sack meals were passed to the players, and about midnight we prepared for departure. About that time a male flight attendant ran up the aisle screaming "he stuck his finger up my ass, he stuck his finger up my ass." Seems like Cody Spencer had taken the banana from his sack meal and stuck it up the ass of the male flight attendant who had picked the wrong time and aisle to bend over.The crew refused to fly until Cody was arrested by local police. We felt that was somewhat of a hollow threat, as they had not yet demonstrated to us that the plane would even start, let alone fly.At any rate, after about an hour of Rick Villarreal best efforts, the compromise was that Cody was booted off the plane, no police were called, and we lifted off about 2:00 am.I don't know if you guys remember Darrell Dickey's sideline assistant trainer known as "Dr. Pepper boy", but I think he was sent with Cody with hotel and rental car money. I have no idea how they got back from the airport to town, as everything was pretty zipped up at that time in the morning.I briefly spoke to Cody at the 100 year event at Apogee and he told me he didn't have a clue why he impaled the attendant,but that it seemed like the thing to do at the time.I have been lucky enough to have flown with the football team 3 times,and always come home with a story to tell.

• Upvote 7

In 2002 I had a chance to fly with the team to play ULL. We met in Denton, bused to Alliance, only to have our Global airline charter not start. While Global sent for a backup plane,we bused back to Denton, killed some time,returned to Alliance and flew on to Lafayette without incident. The next afternoon we won 27-0,and we bused to the nearly deserted Lafayette airport arriving about 9:00 pm only to discover that this plane also would not start . Global again had another backup plane flown in, sack meals were passed to the players, and about midnight we prepared for departure. About that time a male flight attendant ran up the aisle screaming "he stuck his finger up my ass, he stuck his finger up my ass." Seems like Cody Spencer had taken the banana from his sack meal and stuck it up the ass of the male flight attendant who had picked the wrong time and aisle to bend over.The crew refused to fly until Cody was arrested by local police. We felt that was somewhat of a hollow threat, as they had not yet demonstrated to us that the plane would even start, let alone fly.At any rate, after about an hour of Rick Villarreal best efforts, the compromise was that Cody was booted off the plane, no police were called, and we lifted off about 2:00 am.I don't know if you guys remember Darrell Dickey's sideline assistant trainer known as "Dr. Pepper boy", but I think he was sent with Cody with hotel and rental car money. I have no idea how they got back from the airport to town, as everything was pretty zipped up at that time in the morning.I briefly spoke to Cody at the 100 year event at Apogee and he told me he didn't have a clue why he impaled the attendant,but that it seemed like the thing to do at the time.I have been lucky enough to have flown with the football team 3 times,and always come home with a story to tell.

This may be the greatest story ever told.

• Upvote 1

Rex Johnson returning a tipped pass for a touchdown versus Tech in 1988 just before half-time. That was the beginning of an impressive comeback and some very shocked Raiders. On the other hand, a couple of weeks later I was at the infamous debacle in Austin where UT didn't necessarily need any feet in bounds for the refs to steal the game.

• Upvote 2

Some of these are really funny (Diet Coke Boy is DCB on here, I think). I hadn't thought about the cricket invasion in a long time. The whole campus smelled like dead crickets and more bird poop than normal, with huge flocks of birds showing up to feast on the crickets that hadn't been run over by cars and feet.

Since the last season I saw as an undergrad was '01, it may very well be when we beat MUTS after having gone 0-5 to start the season. I think the final was 24-21 and I thought everyone from both schools was going to crap their pants. That's probably tied with the tearing down of the goalposts at the end of the season. I'm curious, for those of you who graduated long ago, was that a "thing" back in the day as well?

There were some great ones in grad school too, like Baylor...I got off work and we were getting to the stadium just after kickoff, and from right outside we heard the cannon and were like, "WTF, we scored already?!" (We scored a safety on Baylor's opening drive. I think that was the game where we tied the NCAA record with 3, right?)

• Upvote 1

I hope you never post again. This is an ender. Just drop the mic and walk off stage. Brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Rex Johnson returning a tipped pass for a touchdown versus Tech in 1988 just before half-time. That was the beginning of an impressive comeback and some very shocked Raiders. On the other hand, a couple of weeks later I was at the infamous debacle in Austin where UT didn't necessarily need any feet in bounds for the refs to steal the game.

'88 was a great year for NT Athletics, and possibly the last year in which both of our two major men sports were really good at the same?

Rick

• Upvote 1

Were you ever brave enough to walk in the back near the lavatories on those flights? It was ungodly what everyone did to those toilets after games.

Please tell me you were on the flight back from Nevada when the plane landed in Vegas and the pilot had to come back and say we were being thrown off if players kept fighting while aloft. There were broken seats that had to be fixed before we could depart again. Harry may have been on this one.

A fight started when some guys who I won't name were laughing and joking after Nevada destroyed us. Corbin Epps told them to shut the f up because we lost. When he turned around one of them sprayed the back of his head with water from a bottle and continued laughing and told him to shut the f up. WW3 ensued. He started breaking seats apart to get to them. He was held down and eventually calmed down. Until they made fun of him and it started again. He was held down again and eventually calmed down again. Coach Michaels came back and sat next to Corbin and told everyone they couldn't speak until we got home. (There were still giggles just like the flight home after the towel incident which is a whole different story.) Eventually we landed in Vegas. The pilot balled out everyone, the plane was repaired, fueled up, and we flew back Love Field. It was pretty funny but we were to late to get beers so that sucked.

• Upvote 2