Will loss to UTSA affect recruiting in Texas?

Zeleny' Orel

It certainly won't help. No matter how much the roadkill want to deny it, this game begs the question "You lost to WHO?" Amongst recruits and the general public.

Yep. Already heard that the loss negates what we have built this season. I don't agree, but it shows how much they are thought of as a program.

Loss to UTSA will not hurt us in Texas and it won't get any worse than it already is. And with a UTSA win over us won't help them over us In recruiting I wouldn't think. UTSA has poor facilities and no tradition. Not to mention the academic side of things, we are night and day better than them so I am not too worried. Ol Dan will take care of business, we will beat Tulsa next week and go to a bowl game and then will go into February with some fire power. UTSA on the other hand will just go back to their trailer parks with no hope in life.

• Upvote 1

It depends. Recruits come in looking to see where they fit in. They look at the system and the talent. I'm sure we are selling playing time to these wrs we are going after. I'm sure some recruits are thinking, " I would have caught that" or, "we would have won if I played"

Having a young dynamic QB would increase our chances on getting good wrs and rbs. Our system on offense does not help, but we put the ball in the air enough yesterday to show we will throw it some.

Good thing rice and utsa have qbs that are leaving also.

Seeing kidsey playing as a true freshman and catching a few passes also helps. All the schools are telling the top recruits you can come in and play for us right now.

• Upvote 1

Losing to UTSA doesn't hurt. Losing a chance to play in the CUSA title game absolutely hurts, and hurts a lot.

Networking and politicking our way into the HOD bowl is huge for this program. Local media attention and a possible shot at a Big 10 team are huge for recruiting.

The NO bowl would be disastrous and give the appearance we still haven't progressed past our Sun Belt days.

Need the HOD for a lot of reasons. It SHOULD also make sense for the HOD bowl.

The whole "fire RV" thread is way over the top, but RV needs to get the HOD done.

• Upvote 2

I agree that a lot of recruiting against UTSA will be about what any given recruit is looking for. Of course every loss can hurt and every win can help, but most teams in any given season (see Ok State this year) have their "What the hell?" loss that seems very out of the ordinary. You have a team that's better than a lot of people thought with a great head coach, but yes, an urban satellite UT campus vs. a rural/suburban spot with its own facilities each has something different to offer, so it's all about focusing on the upsides to the recruits that like that sort of thing. You can lose the best recruit to the worst school if they really want to go there, and it's a slippery slope from there in terms of what makes the athlete's heart skip a beat when they get excited over the prospect of the school they picked.

I don't think the loss itself hurts too much. Though, unt and utsa have been fighting for the same recruits. However, i think it's about being visible. So unt not having the national spotlight of the cusa title game - might hurt. They'll have a televised bowl game. Play hard and win that - then they'll help their recruiting cause.

Coker can now clearly go in and say he has brought a new program up in 3 yrs and beat UNT head to head, more open offense over a coach who started same time.

DMac can offer playtime with the large number of SR's seeing time fixing to graduate, but the loss hurts, hope it makes the team angry enough to go out with fire and destroy Tulsa.

• Upvote 1

Any kid who would choose UTSA over North Texas probably doesn't need to be in college because they're not mentally suited for the rigors of more than coloring and recess.

For the life me I don't understand this. UTSA plays in the Alamodome, not an aluminum benched high school stadium. UTSA has the second highest home attendance in Conf USA at almost 30,000, UNT barely over 20,000. Kids who know the talent that Larry Coker has coached over the years (not just at Miami) would be thrilled to have the opportunity to build a program with him. People who are uneducated about who Larry Coker the man is always try to attach him to the scandals at Miami that, like many issues, are caused by boosters. Larry is long gone from Miami and they still have issues. Also, someone forgot to send out the memo that UNT is an academic powerhouse.....really? And of course I failed to mention......going to school in SA a few miles from the Texas hill county, great weather, nice people and history/culture or wake up everyday in Denton. You get my point.

Listen, I attended UNT but I think some folks around here have become delusional. This program has never been much more than "JUCO" and now all of a sudden with a high school caliber stadium and Conf USA people think it's something it's not.

Reality check people.

Edited by TexasFootball1970
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

For the life me I don't understand this. UTSA plays in the Alamodome, not an aluminum benched high school stadium. UTSA has the second highest home attendance in Conf USA at almost 30,000, UNT barely over 20,000. Kids who know the talent that Larry Coker has coached over the years (not just at Miami) would be thrilled to have the opportunity to build a program with him. People who are uneducated about who Larry Coker the man is always try to attach him to the scandals at Miami that, like many issues, are caused by boosters. Larry is long gone from Miami and they still have issues. Also, someone forgot to send out the memo that UNT is an academic powerhouse.....really? And of course I failed to mention......going to school in SA a few miles from the Texas hill county, great weather, nice people and history/culture or wake up everyday in Denton. You get my point.

Listen, I attended UNT but I think some folks around here have become delusional. This program has never been much more than "JUCO" and now all of a sudden with a high school caliber stadium and Conf USA people think it's something it's not.

Reality check people.

Did this post time-travel from 1985 or something? It sounds like we're still FCS/1-AA, playing in Fouts (though always being JUCO is more like 1948, what happened to our national rankings and All-Americans before we got sent to 1-AA purgatory?)...and what's wrong with Denton? I got there as fast as I could from the other side of the country. That's more of a personal preference thing, as to what kind of city you live in. This is so weird and confusing in so many ways. Though I agree that having Coker does help them quite a bit. And though we're no Rice...we have dozens of programs ranked in the top 20/top 10/top 2 in the nation in their areas.

Reality check people.

Let me know how those art projects turn out.

Any kid who would choose UTSA over North Texas probably doesn't need to be in college because they're not mentally suited for the rigors of more than coloring and recess.

You're a great fan but that's a ridiculous statement. What some people on this board is saying about UTSA are no different than SMU and TCU people telling us those same things. This is about the football game. Nothing more and nothing else IMO.

• Upvote 1

Reality check people.

Sounds to me like you're trying to make the point that you are retarded. Mission accomlished.

Reality check people.

Really freaking tired of people who went here but hated it come on here and try to pretend they're some UNT know it all.

Let me methodically kill your argument...the Alamodome is far from campus and UTSA has awful student attendance. It is an ugly, outdated stadium. It will hurt their recruiting.

Larry Coker is the single problem with the U mentality. The U was at its dirtiest under him. Fact.

UNT is one of the better universities in Texas and far and away better than UTSA in every single metric. UTSA has a 60% retention rate and a 9% 4-year grad rate. Speaks for itself.

Are you saying the weather in San Antonio is nice? I do like to visit New Braunfels but the city of San Antonio is a horrible, terrible town. It feels like a reject city, the AT&T center is a dump, the Riverwalk is ghetto now, SeaWorld sucks and Fiesta Texas is a reject version of SFOT. The original.

Denton is USA Today, Rand McNally and BI voted it the Best Small Town in America. Was also voted in 2008 the best music scene in the country. I'd live in Denton any day over SA.

High school caliber, eh? Well, that tells me all I need to know considering UTSA would probably fill that "high school stadium" once a year only if they played an AQ team. Your troll is obvious now.

I call UTSA a junior college because if you don't get into UT, they offer you the ability to go UTSA and then transfer in if your grades are good. Same thing A&M does with Blinn. A junior college. There's a reason they only keep a little over half of their students.

Edited by meangreener