How would this Mac team fare vs. Dickey's best?

Harry

Just got me thinking last night how interesting it would be to see Scott Hall, Booger, AA, Patty Cobbs line up against DT, Jim Jim, Zach Orr, Trice and Brelan?? Is Mac team this season as good or better than any of the best Dickey squads?

Mac's Offense vs. Dickey's Defense

I think Dickey's front-7 makes it difficult to move the ball. I think Booger wreaks havoc, as he did v. everyone he played, big school or small school. Then you still have to deal w/ Awasome, Daniels, etc.

I do think our receivers could make plays v. Dickey's secondary. Running game wouldn't do a whole lot.

Dickey's Offense vs. Mac's Defense

Dickey's offense would not be able to do much with this defense. This defense would stop the run, and Quinn couldn't beat us by himself...no other weapons in passing game. The biggest weakness of the bowl year teams...not a threat in the passing game.

Prediction

Mac 10

Dickey 3

Defensive struggle

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Skladays d seems more disciplined across the board, doing a solid job with assignments and closing gaps. But that deloach d had twice as many playmakers. I just cant see anyone breaking 14, let alone 20 on them.

Slight edge to Dickey's best. Brelan would still get some yards but that's about it.

fun thread!

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Defense by position:

D-Line - Daniels, Cardwell, Booger, Awasome v. Sarge, Boutwell, Abbé, Bellazin

Advantage: Dickey

LBers - Hurd, Spencer, Casey v. Akunne, Orr, Wright

Secondary - McGee, Pearl, Buckles, Jones v. Jones Lee, Trice, Buyers

Edited by BIG DAWG

Don McGee would become the school's all-time INT leader.

Booger would post 12 TFL while Mac's offense spends the first half running every first and second down.

Brelan would take 2 to the house.

P-Cobbs would put up a buck twenty. People act like EVERY team we played back then didn't stack the box.

And we forget that dickey teams passed to the TE...a lot.

Dickey- 21

Mac- 10

Let's revisit this thread when Mac gets us to ONE bowl game.

• Upvote 1

Interesting question. Talent-wise, I think the Dickey teams win almost across the board. But somehow or another, this red zone offense is clicking like nothing I've ever seen at North Texas. And this defense's results on the scoreboard aren't too far off from 2002. I've gotta give the coaching edge to this staff, and by a pretty large margin.

I'll just say that I think it would be the battle of the ages.

I'm not sure Dickey's defense wouldn't score multiple times.

I think between the two defenses, there would be more scores off of pick6's and/or fumble recoveries than there would be by either offense.

2013 UNT - 13

2003 UNT - 17

Defensive struggle all the way. Booger & co make this years offense look awful while Cobbs/Galbreath just grind away on this year's D.

• Upvote 1